View Full Version : Mass storage solution for 2215?

jrw1975
07-01-2003, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know of a decent mass storage solution for the 2215? I have been thinking about buying a pocket pc for a long time now, and I would like it to be an aid to my digital photography whilst on the road. Ideally, I'd like to plug a USB drive into my PDA, AND also insert a CompactFlash card so that the PDA can act as a USB host and transfer the contents of my CF card (ie. digital photos) to the hard drive and not have to worry about conserving my CF card usage.

Perhaps I am better off getting a Toshiba E750 with USB host capabilities? Or perhaps an 3xxx or 5xxx series iPAQ that supports the expansion packs to insert a Toshiba PCMCIA HD (although those suckers are pretty expensive also).

Any ideas?

What would be really nice is if I could use an iPod for this somehow :D

makic
07-01-2003, 09:08 PM
I don't know of anyone makes an SDIO adapter for USB, but you could get a bigger CF card. (as the port on the bottom of the unit will not act as a USB host).

If you have tons of money to throw away, Verbatim has a 3 GB card for just over $1,100, 2 GB for over $700 and there are several manufacturers of 1 GB cards for between $200 and $300.

darrylb
07-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Rather than getting a USB minidrive, why not get something like the SimpleTech Bonzai Minidrive that takes a SD Card rather than fixed memory?

jd4science
07-01-2003, 11:42 PM
I could have sworn that a few months ago, Jason posted a device like you wanted. It took both SD and CF cards, had a big hard drive, and had a screen for viewing photos. Can anyone find the link, I can't. I know this isn't what you said you wanted, but it may work better.
Justin

jrw1975
07-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Yeh, I think you might be talking about this ... http://www.nixvue.com/products/vista/index.html ... which I would love, but it is also quite expensive itself! I am hoping that a PDA + USB HD + whatever is needed to glue them together will be cheaper, but perhaps not. There are a few other 'image wallets' that are basically a case with a CF/SD slot wrapped around a laptop hard drive, without a full-colour LCD, but the Nixvue Vista would be a nice piece of kit to have.

If only I could win the lottery. :(

jd4science
07-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Yeh, I think you might be talking about this ... http://www.nixvue.com/products/vista/index.html ... which I would love, but it is also quite expensive itself! I am hoping that a PDA + USB HD + whatever is needed to glue them together will be cheaper, but perhaps not. There are a few other 'image wallets' that are basically a case with a CF/SD slot wrapped around a laptop hard drive, without a full-colour LCD, but the Nixvue Vista would be a nice piece of kit to have.

If only I could win the lottery. :(

Yeah. Sorry, I didn't remember it being that expensive. :cry: :cry:

shanghui
07-02-2003, 12:52 AM
This is what you are after:

http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/subpages/cfu1u.html

droppedd
07-02-2003, 01:53 AM
This is what you are after:

http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/subpages/cfu1u.html

You sure that has drivers for WM 2003? nothing about that on the site...

jrw1975
07-02-2003, 07:11 AM
thanks shanghui, that's kinda what I want. only problem is that it will take up the CF slot that I want to plug my digicam's CF cards into. I guess I might be able to find a CF-to-SD adapter possibly? Or get an SD-to-CF adapter such that I am able to use SD cards in my CF digicam (a Minolta DiMAGE 7i if anyone is interested)?

newst
07-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Before you spend any money on a PDA consider this, there is only one driver around that will allow a USB host capable PDA to connect to a USB mass storage device-that driver is a private development that is distributed for free (search for Deje Mass Storage Driver in Google).

That driver only works with PPC-2002. It was initially designed to work with the Casio E-200 (with which it works very well) but it also works with the Toshiba E-740 and early (PPC-2002) versions of the E-750.

Because this driver was a private development and the developer is not receiving any payment for it's use I don't expect to see a PPC-2003 version available soon.

SN

SassKwatch
07-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Does anyone know of a decent mass storage solution for the 2215? I have been thinking about buying a pocket pc for a long time now, and I would like it to be an aid to my digital photography whilst on the road.
The other *potential* option might be this.....

http://www.tjotala.com/hardware/storagebrick/default.htm

Some folks have been able to get this working with some PPC devices, but it appears to be device specific. I have not been able to make it functional with my 5455, so I would *guess* it probably wouldn't work with the 2215 since it's an even more recently released device.

OTOH, if you haven't purcased the 2215 yet, maybe it would be worth considering one of the devices people have had luck with.(??)

I was hoping to use the PPC exactly for the reason you're asking here....wanted to be able to transfer .RAW files from the digicam to a mass storage device while 'in the field'. Even the 1gb Microdrive will only hold 107 of these .RAW files before I need to make space.

I wound up buying a cheap notebook to handle the duties. A distinct compromise in that it obviously won't go 'in the field', but I concluded there wouldn't be many situations where I'd pop off 107 pics in a single shoot. I thought about buying a bunch of 1gb cf cards, but I couln't have purchased but maybe 5 (at most*) of those for what I paid for the laptop...and it has 40gb of storage space in addition to the normal computing capabilities.

It's really a bummer that mass storage isn't readily accomplished with PPC devices.