View Full Version : t-mobile's new hotspots pricing--anyone trying the pay-as-you-go?

barky81
07-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Hey,

I did a quick search and I didn't see anything...so...

It looks like t-mobile has "enhanced" their HOTSPOTS PLANS (http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/services_plans.htm).

The new national, refillable Prepay 300 looks pretty attractive to me, especially since it allows connections in 10-minute increments. That really blows away the 60-minute-increments or worse, 24-hour limits, I still see on other pay-as-you-go plans.

$50 gives you 300 minutes to consume as you like over whatever timeframe works for you. I will definitely try this as spots come online in my area (strangely, they still haven't).

As a somewhat unrelated aside, I found myself on Saturday, 800 miles from home, standing on the lawn at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, soaking in history and surfing seamlessly on the GPRS network at the same time. Cool.

Jerry Raia
07-02-2003, 03:56 PM
I'm trying the pay as you go. As of right now, I'm thinking its a bit too expensive cause even if you go on for just a minute you get hit with the $6 minimum fee.

barky81
07-02-2003, 04:43 PM
That's why I am looking for anyone using the 300-minute pre-pay. It lowers the minimum cost to $1.67! (for 10 minutes of access)

They haven't made it to my location yet, but I wll probably spring for this plan to test.

Now what would be great is a way to simply "schedule" (i.e., mark for download) downloads while GPRS'ing, so that you can then pull into a HOTSPOT to actually pull the data at a higher rate! At least, I can see where this will dovetail nicely with enterprises implementing MS's Mobile Information Server (or even just VPNs) to allow quick remote syncs on the road...

I'm trying the pay as you go. As of right now, I'm thinking its a bit too expensive cause even if you go on for just a minute you get hit with the $6 minimum fee.

tialoc
07-04-2003, 11:50 PM
I've been using the pay as you go but have been thinking about the 300 plan.

Is everyone using their PPC? I've been using my laptop, I want to connect my PPC but I don't know how that "Logoff" window will work then as Pocket IE doesn't support additional windows...

How is this working for you guys?

Jerry Raia
07-05-2003, 12:32 AM
It seems when you disconnect it logs you off. I've used both PPC and laptop.

Thinkingmandavid
07-05-2003, 12:35 AM
I am on an unlimited plan that I use for my laptop. I had started wiht a 24 hour trial, it was then I realized I would be using it to much for the prepay.
When I was signing up For the plan, the T-Mobile rep mentioned to me that a lot of customers dont realize how much they are going to use it or are using it. So they end up spending more than what they had intended. I am just saying that so you can keep it in mind. YOu can start wtih that and if it isnt enough or doesnt work out for you, then you can switch to one of their other plans:)

Jerry Raia
07-05-2003, 01:41 AM
Yeah but they kinda force you to go unlimited. A $6 minimum charge every time you connect is a bit outrageous :evil:

Vincent M Ferrari
07-05-2003, 05:01 AM
$6 minimum? :shocked!:

That sounds like highway robbery to me!

barky81
07-05-2003, 05:26 AM
Again, as the thread explains, the "new" pre-pay plans seem to allow for a 10-minute minimum, at a cost of $1.67 INSTEAD of the "old" $6...

That is why I started the thread, to see if anyone has been using the new 300-minute prepaid plan...it would seem to relieve people of the necessity to "go unlimited."

If you are on the unlimited month-to-month at $40, then you need to be using MORE than 240 minutes (or so) to make it better than the 300-prepay.

Yeah but they kinda force you to go unlimited. A $6 minimum charge every time you connect is a bit outrageous :evil:

barky81
07-05-2003, 05:28 AM
:twak:

Jerry Raia
07-05-2003, 06:28 AM

Oh it is, I dont think they want you on that plan really. They just offer it to lure you in.