View Full Version : mm02 Announces XDA II Plans

Jason Dunn
07-01-2003, 06:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=1372' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=1372</a><br /><br /></div>There's a very exciting announcement on Arne Hess' site today:<br /><br />"O2 today announced that it has further plans for its widely acclaimed integrated PDA and mobile handset - the xda - and will introduce an xda II later this year. In addition to all of the existing features, the xda II will offer best in class capability for both consumer and business customers. The xda II will be available in the UK, Germany and Ireland before Christmas 2003. <br /><br />For consumers, the xda II will offer a built-in digital camera and full multimedia messaging capability plus the opportunity to play high quality, color games thanks to inbuilt Java technology. The 65,000 color display ensures that both photographs and games are sharp and clear. Customers will be able to download games from the popular O2 Games Arcade - offering a constantly changing choice of color 'arcade' style games. The xda II will also offer access to O2's music service enabling users to select, retrieve and store the latest chart hits onto the device - and listen to them in CD quality stereo sound."<br /><br />Amazing! This sounds like a killer device...but Christmas of this year? Ouch - that's a while yet. :|

Janak Parekh
07-01-2003, 06:40 PM
And us North Americans will get it even later. :cry:

--janak

Arne Hess
07-01-2003, 06:46 PM
And us North Americans will get it even later. :cry:
Who knows... 8) Isn't the xda from HTC also? :wink:
But yes, as "xda II" from mmO2 only...

JonnoB
07-01-2003, 06:47 PM
It is possible a phone carrier will pick up this device for the US &lt;- (wishfully thinking)

brianchris
07-01-2003, 06:49 PM
I know, I know, same old argument, but if they are doing a new XDA anyway, why not integrate Bluetooth (for wireless headphones, laptop data connections, etc. etc.)? Personally, I'd rather have Bluetooth than arcade games, or even a built in camera.

-Brian

dacs29
07-01-2003, 06:54 PM
Since the specs weren't mentioned, here they are...

16 bit screen (65,536 colors)
VGA resolution (0.3 megapixel) built-in camera
400 MHz Intel PXA255 XScale processor
64 MB memory
Tri-band GSM/GPRS 900/1800/1900 MHz
Integrated Bluetooth
SDIO capable SD/MMC slot
Running Phone Edition of Windows Mobile 2003

David

robcorn
07-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Also today, O2 in Germany announced that it will launch the "xda NaviKit" this summer. This kit will extend the xda CarKit to become a navigation system, including a GPS receiver, an adapter and unlimited navigation inside Germany in the first 12 months without additional costs. The software enables users to view real-time traffic information to allow them to choose the quickest route to their destination. The driving maps and route selections are displayed in full colour for complete ease of use.

Cool! :!:

dacs29
07-01-2003, 06:58 PM
I know, I know, same old argument, but if they are doing a new XDA anyway, why not integrate Bluetooth (for wireless headphones, laptop data connections, etc. etc.)? Personally, I'd rather have Bluetooth than arcade games, or even a built in camera.
There is Bluetooth on this device.

David

lrutker
07-01-2003, 07:06 PM
There's a very exciting announcement on Arne Hess' site today:

&lt;snip />
thanks to inbuilt Java technology.

Did I hear this right? Java on a PPC that works???
While I have Java (including Swing) and a Java compiler (yes compiler you read it right) on my Jornada 567, the HP JVM was useless for the most part and the Sun beta JVM I use isn't fast enough for day to day use.
This is great news. Any one have more info on the JVM?

Jason Dunn
07-01-2003, 07:09 PM
It is possible a phone carrier will pick up this device for the US &lt;- (wishfully thinking)

If the original XDA made money for T-Mobile and AT&T (did it? I hope so!), you can bet they'll be eager to get a follow-up device into the channel.

Jason Dunn
07-01-2003, 07:11 PM

You might want to make it a habbit to go read the article we link to before commenting :wink: - it does have Bluetooth, but I didn't want to re-publish Arne's entire article. 8)

onepieceman
07-01-2003, 07:51 PM
My Christmas present is going to be very easy this year...

suhit
07-01-2003, 08:02 PM
My Christmas present is going to be very easy this year...

But it might not be available by Christmas :(

Suhit

garrans
07-01-2003, 08:05 PM
I think this is finally getting to the phone / pda combo I want !!!
SWEET !

suhit
07-01-2003, 08:06 PM
Additionally, why are they making it just Wi-Fi ready? When people say Wi-Fi ready, it pisses me off quite a bit because it only means an SD/IO slot. And that means that I can either have Wi-Fi or my 512MB SD card, not both. Why, why, why, why??? If only they had built in Wi-Fi or an additionaly CF slot...

Also, I do have to say that 64MB is a little skimpy. It might have be nicer to have a cool 128MB.

Argh! Still waiting for that perfect - do-it-all device.

Suhit

JonnoB
07-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Argh! Still waiting for that perfect - do-it-all device.

Sigh- You might be waiting a while......

David C
07-01-2003, 08:17 PM
beside not having build-in wifi, there is only one thing missing. Cingular has just rolled out EDGE. I like to see EDGE in the new version.

brianchris
07-01-2003, 08:20 PM

You might want to make it a habbit to go read the article we link to before commenting :wink: - it does have Bluetooth, but I didn't want to re-publish Arne's entire article. 8)

I do have a bit of egg on my face...sorry for not clicking on the link :oops:

That's *big* news (at least to me), an XDA with integrated Bluetooth, and I just figured it would have been (re)mentioned here if it existed. Learned my lesson. Kudos to XDA for (finally) integrated bluetooth into a phone! (Now, I can actually consider buying it :) )

-Brian

suhit
07-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Sigh is, sadly enough, right. I was just talking to Janak about it - what I can't figure out is why is it so hard for one of these companies to produce "the ultimate decive"?!? They certainly have the technology.

We were wondering what the issues might be -

1) Cost - They may think that such a device would be far too expensive. But I would dare say that there are a bunch of people out there that are willing to shell out that additional $100/150 or whatever it is, to get said device.

2) Too large - I dont know how much wider a device is going to get by adding a CF slot in addition to an SD. Case in point - iPaq 2215 - sleek little unit with CD and SD/IO.

3) Run too hot - Same as above. I don't know how much of a problem this is going to be by adding a CF slot of built in Wi-Fi.

4) The battery may not last too long - Legitimate concern. But if a camera has an LED for a flash, I don't know why the battery consumption should not be comparable to the XDA I.

So what is it other than the $$$, what else is it?

Suhit

Johan
07-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Additionally, why are they making it just Wi-Fi ready? When people say Wi-Fi ready, it pisses me off quite a bit because it only means an SD/IO slot. And that means that I can either have Wi-Fi or my 512MB SD card, not both. Why, why, why, why??? If only they had built in Wi-Fi or an additionaly CF slot...

Suhit

Hopefully the sd wifi/memory combo cards will solve this issue. Then one can live with "only bluetooth, camera, tri-band phone"..... :wink:

Kevin Daly
07-01-2003, 08:48 PM
And from Infosync the news that it will also include Bluetooth...I hope that includes a headset profile (otherwise I'd rather have WiFi, since for data you could then save the expensive GPRS option for those times when you weren't near a hot spot).
It sounds very nifty, although it's a shame there's no word on expanded er, expansion capabilities, and it's rather irritating that the (as usual, patronising) marketing spiel gives people the impression that Java is their only option for high quality colour applications, and that these would be games. (Games have their place. I like games. But why must operators pretend everybody is 12 years old?).
This on a device that supports embedded C++4 sp2, and the .NET Compact Framework with C# and VB.NET, both of which make J2ME look a bit sad. Don't get me wrong, I think including Java was a great idea, but I'm irked at the implication that it's the only game in town.
Must be off my medication. 0X

ricksfiona
07-01-2003, 09:26 PM
Without built-in WiFi, it's just not going to work for me. Even if you have the SD/WiFi card, the battery drain on the WiFi may not be worthwhile. Unless you can disable/switch-off the unit.

If the 5550 came with tri-band GPRS + phone functionality, that would be all she wrote. Though it would probably cost about $800 or so and I would not spend that kind of money on a PDA. Nope.

You still have the same old problems:
1) PDA too big to carry ALL the time.
2) If you're carrying your PDA and using a Bluetooth headset, even more to carry.
3) Stand-by time can't match that of a dedicated cell phone.

I still think the XDA II is a cool device though. Now with $20 GPRS/unlimited, it will definitely work for some people.

adamz
07-01-2003, 10:01 PM

Or some sort of expansion interface that didn't leave dongles hanging around.

But I am definitely going to buy the first Pocket PC Phone Edition device with integrated Bluetooth that I can get my hands on. Can the java be uninstalled? I hope this XDA 2 comes out soon!

DavidHorn
07-01-2003, 11:02 PM
I can't see anyone using the music feature with GPRS prices as high as they are.

JoshB
07-01-2003, 11:34 PM
I can't see anyone using the music feature with GPRS prices as high as they are.
T-Mobile, the biggest provider of the XDA in the US (the Siemens unit is also available from AT&T) recently changed their GPRS data plan price structure.

Now, it's $29/month for unlimited GPRS data. All you can eat. Paired with the XDA 2 (mmm, Bluetooth), and that's a pretty sweet deal.

Looks like I might have found something to replace my color Sidekick. As much as I love it, the next gen PPCPEs are mightly tempting... :D

anthonymoody
07-01-2003, 11:52 PM
Actually, it's $19.95/mo unlimited...even better!

TM

JoshB
07-01-2003, 11:58 PM

I thought the $19/month was only for the Sidekick plans (which are limited to data on the Sidekick - there's no way to connect to a PDA or PC).

A quick look at their site (http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/default.asp?tab=internet) confirms it - $29.99/month for unlimited data.

Is this a mistake, or is there some way to get unlimited GPRS for $19.99 from T-Mobile?

JoshB[/url]

danmanmayer
07-02-2003, 12:05 AM
I think i would want bluetooth or wifi before the games system. Also the music thing i am sorry i will use my own service and such not something through my phone company. I am sure they wont have the best solution for mobile music. How much longer before i can just buy a song right onto my wireless device? But still a great upgrade to a great product, make sure it is SDIO.

whydidnt
07-02-2003, 01:37 AM
Of course, the reason they are offering Java, Games & Music is for the additional revenue stream they produce. That's why we're going to start seeing some of these integrated into the PPCPE devices. I heard somewhere that (and maybe I misunderstood) mobile phone companies are making more profit selling ringtones and dowloadable games than they do selling airtime.

I thinks that's why we're seeing some of this ahead of things like dual expansion slots or built in Wi-Fi.

I can't see anything in the article that tells me how big this is. Any chance it will be smaller than the current XDA? It would be great if they could cram everthing into something the size of the 1945 - wishful thinking I'm sure though.

Whydidnt

Wojo
07-02-2003, 03:09 AM

I thought the $19/month was only for the Sidekick plans (which are limited to data on the Sidekick - there's no way to connect to a PDA or PC).

A quick look at their site (http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/default.asp?tab=internet) confirms it - $29.99/month for unlimited data.

Is this a mistake, or is there some way to get unlimited GPRS for $19.99 from T-Mobile?

JoshB[/url]

It's 19.99 with a calling above 34.00 or 39.00 per month. It's great not having to worry about data usage.

JoshB
07-02-2003, 04:22 AM
It's 19.99 with a calling above 34.00 or 39.00 per month. It's great not having to worry about data usage.
Cool. Any links to the details of this?

JoshB

clinte
07-02-2003, 10:55 AM
But I am definitely going to buy the first Pocket PC Phone Edition device with integrated Bluetooth that I can get my hands on. Can the java be uninstalled? I hope this XDA 2 comes out soon!

"Although Windows CE .NET 4.2 will be the basis for next version of Pocket PC Phone Edition (2003) and next version of MS Smartphone (name not known), it is also available for many other hardware platforms (processors) and for other applications."
http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/639.html

Windows CE. NET 4.2 includes native Bluetooth support
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/ce.NET/evaluation/overview/default.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Embedded/ce.NET/evaluation/whyupgrade.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnembedded/html/embedded05202003.asp

Pocket PC 2003 phone (edition) is cool because not only you can use built-in cell phone features (GPRS) to connect to the Internet, but you can also use regular cell phone with Bluetooth to browse Internet without the use of the built-in cell phone
http://msmobiles.com/article.php/31.html

News - Microsoft puts Bluetooth and .Net in SmartPhone 2003; Annemarie Duffy, Mobility Marketing Manager, Mobile Devices division wouldn't make any comment about when new hardware would be available, beyond acknowledging that Bluetooth would be on the road map. As with FitzGerald, she conceded: "We will support Bluetooth in the next version," but she refused to make any comment about what the timing for that next version might be.
http://www.kewney.com/articles/030401-bluephone.html

clinte
07-02-2003, 11:00 AM
Cool. Any links to the details of this?

JoshB

Unlimited T-Mobile GPRS for $19.99/month
http://www.t-mobile.com/tmobile_internet/rates.asp
Fido GPRS traffic for ~$25/month
http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/datapackages.shtml#package1

SprintPCS has an all-you-can-eat data plan for laptops that uses a dedicated PC Card-based CDMA 1xRTT radio for $80 per month. SprintPCS' chief CDMA-1xRTT rival Verizon already allows for its phones to be used in the same unlimited way for $80 per month through a plan called Mobile Office Kit for Express Network (1XRTT). http://www.verizonwireless.com/internet_data/mobile_office/mo_exp_network.html

I know it's apples and peers but am posting it anyway

someppcuser
07-02-2003, 08:41 PM
This XDA II will face some serious competition in christmas when new Symbian devices will also be lauched.

I don't see anything revolutionary in this new device when I compare it to a P800.