View Full Version : The Ultimate CHEAP screen protector

RobertM
07-01-2003, 07:28 AM
I found out about this some time ago on some forum when I use to own a Visor Prism. Now I own an Ipaq and have been using these protectors with much success. Go to your local Walmart and go into the fabric section.8O Look for the 4 millimeter thick clear vinyl. They have it on a big roll. $0.89 buys a square yard of the stuff.

Cut out a square for your screen, wash it a little, and then apply it to your screen. You can squeege out the bubbles with the edge of a credit card or something. After you put the vinyl on, you can place a drop or two of olive oil on the vinyl and spread it around and then buff it off. This makes it a little easier to write on.

I have had excellent results with this and the screen is still very easy to see. It actually creates a sharper picture than using the writerights. I usually replace the screen protector about once a month. So for a couple of dollars, you can have enough screen protectors to last a lifetime. I have created a template so that it is very easy to cut out a new protector when I need one. The nice thing about these is that there is no glue or any type of adhesive that makes it stick. It just stays on, I guess it is just the static.

Anyway, give it a try. A cheap alternative to those expensive screen protectors. :lol:

Robert

madbart
07-01-2003, 07:42 AM
Look for the 4 millimeter thick clear vinyl. They have it on a big roll. $0.89 buys a square yard of the stuff.

4mm.......that would be like a whole pack of condoms! :lol:

RobertM
07-01-2003, 08:01 AM
LOL.. It actually doesn't seem too thick on the screen.

Robert

RobertM
07-01-2003, 08:12 AM
Here are some advantages to using clear vinyl.

*Extremely clear...like not having a protector on at all! (Wow is the word!)
*Virtually scratch proof / indestructable
*Long lasting
*Produces a nice 'drag' effect on the stylus, improving writing feel and accuracy
*Provides a slight cushioning effect on the screen - great if you use a heavier replacement stylus

Robert

jnunn
07-01-2003, 08:24 AM
Robert, did you mean to write 0.4mm or 0.04mm (400 or 40 microns)? Four millimeters is about 1/3 the thickness of the h1910 whereas 0.04mm is about 1/2 the thickness of Saran (plasitic) wrap. It seems that 0.4mm would be thick enough to offer protection without interferring with the touch screen.

Does your screen protector suffer from reflection? I tried using an overhead transparency from a suggestion off of Dale's website sometime back but discarded it due to the reflections: an anti-reflective coating is a must for my lazy eyes.

RobertM
07-01-2003, 08:38 AM
My mistake.. :oops: I think it is the 0.4mm. I am sure that the vinyl does reflect a little more than some of the non-reflective protectors. It may be a better choice for those who use their PDA's mainly indoors. I use mine outside in my vehicle for GPS use and it doesn't reflect too bad. Now if the sun is shining directly onto it, it is very hard to see the screen.

Robert

mbeatle
07-02-2003, 06:28 PM
its probably 4 mil - where a mil is one-thousandth of an inch

jnunn
07-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Yes, how could I forget that my fellow countrymen were the first to throw off imperial government but are the last to throw out imperial measurement. Four 1/1000 of an inch is about 100 microns which is just 25% heavier than kitchen plasitic wrap -- looks perfect.