View Full Version : Recent convert goes back to Palm

thatblokekev
06-30-2003, 08:29 PM
I really did try to like my Dell Axim but alas it's went back to Dell and I'm back with my Palm M515. Firstly the inbuilt apps just stink. Next ActiveSync is one of the most appallingly bad bits of software I've ever used. It did not like syncing between two PCs at all, I got too many conflicting and duplicated entries. The third party apps are little better with the quality of things like Pocket Informant, Agenda Fusion and eWallet really poor compared to the apps available for Palm. The build quality and finish of the Axim is a joy, but the bottom line is the effectiveness of the device. On that score, Microsoft's PPC just isn't up to the job yet.

ux4484
06-30-2003, 09:03 PM
You bring up a trend that has been discussed rather often around here lately......while PIM-wise I agree with your assessment. 3rd Party application wise, I'd say much of the PPC stuff is right up there with what's available for Palm.......the stuff you PAY for that is. The PPC freeware offerings seem often to be not up to snuff of many POS longtime freebies (CSpotRun comes to mind), but with some trial and error, there's good to be had compared to just a year ago.

My Dell was down for a half-blanked screen, and it took Dell a shocking 3 weeks to get me a new device, in which time I went back to my Visor very happily. I was thinking along the same lines as you until one evening I was trying to read AvantGo outside at twilight......and neither the contrast or the backlight could make the screen readable......couldn't wait to get my Dell back. I also looked at a Zire 71 during my Dell hiatus, and while it is certianly tempting, the screen is too small for me now that I'm spoilt.

My replacement Dell arrived last Friday, I'm VERY glad to have it back.....flakey ActiveSync and all.

Johan
06-30-2003, 09:12 PM
You're absolutely right, Active Sync sucks! Just now suddenly my iPAQ is only recognised as a guest.... :evil:

I whish M$ would take this issue more seriously. It will put more people off using Pocket PC's , especialy those who know what different experience it is to sync with a Palm.

Had the Tungsten C had stereo audio I would have seriously considdered giving up my 5450.

TravisWhayne
06-30-2003, 09:14 PM
While I'm not one of those PPC/Palm Nazi's that feel that what works for me should work for everyone, I have to ask specifically what you are looking for in a PPC that was not there. Granted I think everyone here would agree that Activestink is pretty bad, but I was a Palm user for 2 1/2 years and I've had my issues with Palm Desktop! (Including it dropping my username completely, and not allowing synchronization which required me to reinstall Palm Desktop :evil: )

What I'm asking is what does the 515 do that your Dell would not? And when you say that PI or AF are not comparable to the software available for the Palm I assume you are referring to DateBK5 and Agendus. I've used DateBK5 and while it was the best PIM out there for the Palm, it doesn't compare in customisability (is that a word, spellcheck anyone :?: ) or usability to Pocket Informant.

Now I'm not trying to bash Palm but to say that it's OS (which does not even allow Multi-tasking, which for most business users is a must) is somehow better than PPC, is somewhat disingenuous! If it didn't work for you fine, the 515 is still probably the best design of a handheld to date, but you better be happy with 160x160 and poor color! Not too mention shelling out another $100-150 for an MP3 player (If you use one). Happy Trails and maybe someday when OS 6 comes out :roll: , and Palm releases a 400MHz X-scale with MP3 ability 64MB of RAM and Bluetooth or Wi-Fi in the 515's shell, I might reconsider switching :wink: !

bigkingfun
06-30-2003, 10:36 PM
First, let me say I couldn't agree more about Activesync. It has to be the most frustrating piece of software I use. The thing that really makes me mad is I have no choice but to use it.

In spite of that, I still prefer the PPC to any Palm device I've tried. I use PI and I like it better than DateBk5 on the Palm. I think most people prefer what they're used to though. Given some time to try it, you might find you prefer the PPC software too.

The dealbreaker for me is the lack of multitasking on the Palm. I was very tempted by the Tungsten C the first time I tried it until I switched out of the browser then back into it, only to find it was back to the home page rather than the page I left. There may be a way to change this, but I couldn't find it. I use email and the browser a lot and being able to switch between them without losing my place is a necessity.

Kevin C. Tofel
06-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Next ActiveSync is one of the most appallingly bad bits of software I've ever used. It did not like syncing between two PCs at all, I got too many conflicting and duplicated entries.

Having never used a Palm device (I used WinCE\PPC since 2000), I'm curious: how does Palm handle synching with multiple PC's? I have some strange behavior with a 2-PC setup and ActiveSync, so I'm curious..... :?:

Thanks,
KCT