View Full Version : 5550 . . . Almost the Perfect PPC

CorysWorld
06-27-2003, 11:46 PM
I was all set to get a new PPC and the 5550 was the one I was aiming for. Now why did HP not include a CF slot in the 5550, any thoughts? I am sure they could have squeased one in.

--
Cory

madbart
06-28-2003, 12:25 AM
With WiFi and bluetooth built into the unit why would you want a CF slot?
If you need additional storage space simply use the SD slot.

If you wanted to add a GPS you can do that via BT.

I can't see any limitation on the unit even if it does have the CF slot. :?

CorysWorld
06-28-2003, 02:21 AM
My digital camera takes CF so I would like to be able to pop in the my images, also it is always nice to have maximun flexability

spursdude
06-28-2003, 02:28 AM
Additionally, CF is mega-cheaper than SD.

madbart
06-28-2003, 03:37 AM
Lets face it...the only reason the 2215 has both and is at the price point it is is simply to combat the Dell unit. If Dell wasn't a player then it simply would not exist.

Janak Parekh
06-28-2003, 04:47 AM
I was all set to get a new PPC and the 5550 was the one I was aiming for. Now why did HP not include a CF slot in the 5550, any thoughts? I am sure they could have squeased one in.
This has been under debate here in several other threads. The consensus lies somewhere between (a) HP didn't really have space to squeeze in a CF slot; and (b) they wanted to keep the existing iPAQ form factor and it would have been too expensive to do a substantial redesign.

On the 5550, just get a CF sleeve if you want CF capability, and you're set. If you find the stock CF and CF+ sleeves too thick (I personally like the latter a lot), you can opt for the Silver Slider (http://www.silverslider.biz/) or the Whitney CF case (www.madebywhitney.com).

--janak

Chris Pi
06-28-2003, 01:07 PM
My digital camera takes CF so I would like to be able to pop in the my images, also it is always nice to have maximun flexability

You can get an ipaq digital camera expansion pack (I think nexian makes one). But I guess you want something you can use with the cf camera you already own.

Server
06-28-2003, 02:29 PM

You can always add one of these SD camera...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/fycam_sd.jpg

disconnected
06-28-2003, 03:08 PM
If Sprint never releases their bluetooth phone, then I guess I'll need a CF slot for their CF modem. Also, I'd like to keep the programs and data I use often on my SD card, and then keep movies, more music, more maps, etc. on CF cards that can be swapped in as needed.

I actually have a Silver Slider, and wouldn't mind carrying it around, except that nobody seems to make cases for it anymore; I always kept it on my 3650 in a Vaja case. Now that the 3975 has been around for a year Inooch is finally selling a case for it with the SS (and I love Inooch cases), but I haven't seen any for the 5xxx series. :(

georgem
06-28-2003, 04:36 PM
"I actually have a Silver Slider, and wouldn't mind carrying it around, except that nobody seems to make cases for it anymore;"

I have a leather cover that fits all Silver Sliders and ipaqs including the 5400-5500 series.

You will need to send the SS to me and I will add the leather cover to it and send it back the same day. The cover has a belt stud for you to add a belt clip (if you don't need it I can remove it). Has two credit card slots, black in color only, and it syncs to the cradle without needing to remove the ipaq.

Price is $18.00 plus shipping.

Side note:
I now have a new model SS2 which is twice as thin as the regular ss2 and four times as thinner than the pdamotion version. The arms are now much much smaller yet VERY strong, fits ALL ipaq models. If you're a patient person I will give you an excellent price.

Thanks.

GM

http://www.clubweb.net/silverslider/

Shadowcat
06-29-2003, 03:34 AM

You can always add one of these SD camera...

I think you misunderstood him. I think he meant he already has a digital camera that uses the CF card format. Well, if he doesn't, at least I do :wink:. I have a pretty heavy investment in CF already (4 cards, one of them a 256MB) and I want my PPC to be compatible with them without a sleeve if possible. I'm assuming that CorysWorld is in a similar situation.

madbart
06-29-2003, 04:07 AM
Why not take this opportunity to upgrade your digital camera to the new HP 5 megapixel unit that take an SD card?

ToeCutter
06-29-2003, 04:18 AM
Lets face it...the only reason the 2215 has both and is at the price point it is is simply to combat the Dell unit. If Dell wasn't a player then it simply would not exist.

Well, that and the fact that both the Axim and 5xxx Series iPaqs are bricks. :roll:

Most folks would like to avoid having a PDA sticking out of their pocket/hip/binder. The Axims and 3xxx/5xxx iPaqs are just too damn big for most people.

madbart
06-29-2003, 05:05 AM
The biggest issue for me from the time i had my first Palm was the fact i still had to carry a wallet around as well. Not to mention the mobile phone.

When i bought my first PPC (36XX) i bought the Vaja billfold case and threw threw wallet away. I have since purchase a 5450. I actually ordered my billfold case to suit before i ordered the 5450.

At then end of the day you are the only one that needs to be satisfied with what you have purchased. If other people don't like what you do then it's bad luck!

Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all had the same opinion?

ToeCutter
07-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all had the same opinion?

EXTREMELY....

Well put, madbart

Gremmie
07-02-2003, 05:54 PM

This iPaq was on the slate long before Dell was known to be making inroads in the PDA market.