View Full Version : ActiveSync, the app you love to hate!!!

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2003, 12:36 PM
Why is it, this freakin' app can run for months and months without a problem and then: Wham!!!

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

I received the dreaded "1 file can't be sync'd" message today. Why? who knows?

Anyway, after looking through the logs, and deleting quite a few files to try and find the culprit, I wimp'd out... :roll:

That's right folks, I took the easy way out. I pulled out the white flag and surrendered to ActiveSync...

I changed the ActiveSync rule to: "Always replace the item on this computer", (since nothing changed on my PC, I figured if anything, the most current version of the file was on my Pocket PC. The Pocket PC had been in use all day) I let it sync, overwrite the file, and then I reset the rule to: "leave the item unresolved"...

I'm so ashamed... :wink:

But at least that "pain-in-the-butt" message is gone... :way to go: The things we will endure for our toys...

Steve

We should rate problems by the "Frusty" factor. This ActiveSync problem was a "Four Frusty" problem (Five being the most frustrating)... :wink:

rhmorrison
06-27-2003, 12:46 PM
Wham!!!

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

WOW, need some asperin for that MEGA HEADACHE that you must have?

PetiteFlower
06-27-2003, 03:14 PM
My problem has got to be at LEAST a :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Still haven't got a solution either :bawl:

tregnier
06-27-2003, 05:35 PM
I go through this process a couple of times each week. I thought it was kinda like expected from that POS software.

tmulli
06-27-2003, 07:16 PM
Hey guys, I feel your pain. I was humming along fine and then about 2 weeks ago WHAM!! 'Connection Error'. I went throught numerous un-installs and re-installs of AS, tried all these different options and nothing. Then out of total frustration, tried it one more time and now it seems I can sync again. I have been offering sacrifices to AS for everyday that I haven't received a "cannot sync - don't wanna sync - won't sync" error message.

:crazyeyes:

Sunnyone
06-27-2003, 07:23 PM
You know, now that I post this here my luck will probably change. But other than some problems syncing my Axim upon first purchase, I haven't had any problems with ActiveSync. Never had any problems at all with my Jornada and my iPAQ. Just lucky, I guess. :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
06-27-2003, 08:37 PM
Still haven't got a solution either :bawl:
Did you try the backup and then hard reset, PF?

But other than some problems syncing my Axim upon first purchase, I haven't had any problems with ActiveSync. Never had any problems at all with my Jornada and my iPAQ. Just lucky, I guess.
True, I haven't had too much trouble with my Pocket PCs over the last three years either. Two-machine syncing needs some trickery, but I've figured that part out, and the rest is quite reliable for me.

--janak

PetiteFlower
06-27-2003, 08:40 PM
I can't backup, I use ActiveSync to back up, and I can't afford to buy Pocket Backup right now(used the trial already). Unless you know a free PPC backup utility?

Janak Parekh
06-27-2003, 08:48 PM
I can't backup, I use ActiveSync to back up, and I can't afford to buy Pocket Backup right now(used the trial already). Unless you know a free PPC backup utility?
Doesn't the Axim have a backup-to-CF utility built in?

Alternatively, if you already have the latest data synced, consider biting the bullet, hard-resetting, and trying a resync then. Risk: it won't come back. But you need to eventually fix it.

Third alternative: see if a friend of yours has a Pocket PC, and try to sync it to your computer, to see if the computer's ActiveSync setup is working.

--janak

PetiteFlower
06-27-2003, 09:41 PM
I don't trust Dell's backup program, I've heard it has....issues.

My plan is to(when I have time) uninstall AS again, clean all references in the registry(anyone know where I can get instructions for this?) and try reinstalling one more time.

I don't sync with Outlook, I back up instead. I don't have need for my appointment data on my PC, in fact getting reminders there was really annoying. So if I hard reset, everything is GONE. No way would I risk that.

Anyway if the reinstall doesn't work, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Janak Parekh
06-27-2003, 09:45 PM
I don't sync with Outlook, I back up instead. I don't have need for my appointment data on my PC, in fact getting reminders there was really annoying. So if I hard reset, everything is GONE. No way would I risk that.
That's precisely why sync'ing is an absolute requirement for me. A backup is hard-coded to a device and, even, a ROM. Sync will give you data in a format that lets you migrate devices, computers, whatever. There are also ways of syncing so that it doesn't deliver you reminders and somesuch (make multiple Outlook profiles, for one). But whatever works best for you...

--janak

davidspalding
06-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Wouldnt' hurt to sync with OUtlook if only to have a PST which could be backed up.

Reminders can be turned off in Outlook. I do this on both PCs as the PDA chimes in with reminders, in a less intrusive manner, anyway.

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2003, 10:36 PM
You know, now that I post this here my luck will probably change. But other than some problems syncing my Axim upon first purchase, I haven't had any problems with ActiveSync. Never had any problems at all with my Jornada and my iPAQ. Just lucky, I guess. :mrgreen:

You know, I've been running almost error free (problems do come up occasionally, especially when sync'ing to two machines). What I just wish I could understand is why these thing happen "out of the blue" (I realize something must have changed, I just wish I knew what triggered it).

Steve

PetiteFlower
06-27-2003, 10:52 PM
I don't even USE outlook though and syncing was actually messing up my address book in OE. I like my contacts listed in a different format on my PPC then I do on my computer, because I use them for much different things.

Anyway way too late now.