View Full Version : hp 2215 $300 deal question

ipaq38vette
06-27-2003, 02:49 AM
Does anyone know how long the student-price drop 2215 last?

Kati Compton
06-27-2003, 02:56 AM
Usually manufacturers keep an educational discount for a while. Will it always be that BIG of a discount? I don't know. I doubt they're saying.

maikii
06-29-2003, 08:02 PM
Is there a different academic discount for students than for teachers?

I signed up for the academic program as a teacher, and the price for the 2215 is listed as $359. Why do you see it for $300? Or is that price already finished?

Or did you use a particular coupon, as well as the academic discount?

Kati Compton
06-29-2003, 08:41 PM
I signed up for the academic program as a teacher, and the price for the 2215 is listed as $359. Why do you see it for $300? Or is that price already finished?
I haven't looked myself, but I think it also depends on your location. Some schools/states have different deals from what I understand.

Enderet
06-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Go to Compaq.com

Under Online Shopping, select Government and Education

Then click on either k-12 or Higher Ed.... it doesnt make a diff.

On the right you will see Choose your State... click on it

After choosing your state... click on National Education Price List

then under computing click on handhelds

After you click on handhelds you will see a picture of one of the older iPaqs...click on it.

Now you will be in a page with all of the models... scroll down and look for the 2210.

Click on it.

There you go... now all you need to do is add it to your basket

Also here is a very long thread that I started off over at Brighthand... most of your questions should be answered if you read all of the 14 or so pages...

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81832

maikii
06-29-2003, 09:40 PM
Go to Compaq.com

I wonder if there could be a difference between HP and Compaq.com, as I went through hp.com? That would be a surprise, being the same company! I'll try it, and see what happens.

Or perhaps it's a difference between states. Did anyone in California see the $299 academic price for the 2215?

Someone wrote here that with the student price, the 2215 and the 1940 are priced the same. Not quite true, even if the $299 student price on the 2215 is still available. I see the academic purchase price for the 1940 as $269.99 Therefore, $30 difference if you could get the 2215 for $299.

If the academic price for the 2215 is $359, that is $90 more than the 1940. Actually, I could get the 2215 from Harmony Computers, also $359.99, $14.95 "shipping", but no California sales tax. about $375 total. Through the HP academic discount, same price, "free shipping", but about $30 in California sales tax, adding up to about $390.

Still trying to decide between 2210-15 oe 1940-45.

maikii
06-29-2003, 09:51 PM
Go to Compaq.com

I just tried following your directions, and SURPRISE :mrgreen: You're right!

Doing it that way ends up with an educational price of $293 for both the 2210 and 1940!

It is unusual, two different educational prices for the the same product, from the same company. I don't really understand the difference in the two programs. Perhaps it has something to do with the merger of HP and Compaq--that they still might not be fully integrated, and have different academic discount programs.

I notice that the model numbers in the other way I tried were 15 and 45, and with your way it is 10 and 40. I don't know what difference that makes. The products are exactly the same, right?

So--I guess for students and teachers--if you want the 1940-45--better to go the way I first did--start with www.hp.com, and click the relevant links for academic purchases. $269 that way rather than $293 your way. If you want the 2210-15, it's better to go your way, through compaq.com, $293 rather than $360--big difference!

droppedd
06-30-2003, 08:24 PM
i've been told it's likely a price mistake that they're selling with that big of a discount... people other places have told me that HP advertises the 2210 for $360 or so with educational discount and the lower price (i got mine for $267) is probably wrong. Of course as of today they still haven't fixed it, so who knows... could be gone tomorrow as soon as someone at HP figures out what's going on; could be a permanent thing (though i doubt it). I would jump in on the deal now; worst case you can use it and if something better comes along later, you can always sell on fleabay (probably for more than you paid for it).
HOWEVER most educational contracts forbid resale, so you can't just sell an unopened box on ebay (they'd figure it out, the resellable one is the 2215, not the 2210, so don't try it). I think selling one after you've used it for a while would be ok though... someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Personally i'm gonna keep mine. I couldn't resist $267 shipped... who can blame me? the damn thing's gonna replace an mp3 player, game boy advance, palm pilot, and portable video player all in one.... guess my Clie and Nomad II are going up for auction next week :D

ricoks
07-01-2003, 06:09 AM
Dont take this the wrong way, but how is it that HP/Compaq is verifying student/teacher status on these orders???

My wife works for the University, and I preliminarily went through the purchase (4/5 steps) and I didnt' see any type of verification.

There was a special pricing box for a code i assume, but with it empty, the pricing was STILL at $267US. :jawdrop:
This is an impressive price. :clap:

Makes me wonder how many of these are going to the wrong people. :grumble:
Just a thought

Ryan

mistame
07-01-2003, 06:19 AM
Dont take this the wrong way, but how is it that HP/Compaq is verifying student/teacher status on these orders???

My wife works for the University, and I preliminarily went through the purchase (4/5 steps) and I didnt' see any type of verification.

They do send you an email after you order asking what school you're associated with before they process the order. at that point, what they do with that information as far as verification is beyond me. i simply told them my school name and that was apparently enough (no id, address, phone # needed).