View Full Version : Geocaching first time

Hank Scorpio
06-26-2003, 11:20 PM
Just did my first Geocache today using an old Ipaq 3650 and my cheap modified Delorme Tripmate. It was great, it's like modern day treasure hunting. I thought it would be easy, but it's deceptively challenging, the one I did today anyways, specially using Mapopolis to figure your co-ordinates, definitely not made for Geocaching but will work non the less, adds to the challenge. Anyways, if you have a GPS and you wanna go on a adventure anywhere in the world it seems, go Geocaching.

AZMark
06-27-2003, 12:25 AM
Make sure you check out the forums at www.geocaching.com to find out lot of great programs to use on you PPC.

One I've been using is GPXView. It lets you bring up and sort the GPX files and decode the hints.

A new one, Cache Dragon, which a trial version can be gotten from handango, would be a great replacement to mapopolis, if you can get it to work. I've had little luck so far with my CF GPS, but you might fair better. Cache Dragon reads the gpx files and plots them on the display, you can then easily plot a route to one, or get the cache info on it.

The GPX files are the files that you can have sent to you from geocaching through pocket queries if you are a member. They contain all the cache info. And you can request them by zip code.

Have a great time caching!
Welcome to the club!

msprague
06-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Great fun indeed! A great way to get some exercise, fresh air, and not leave your techie toys at home.

Note link in sig to FAQ.

GoldKey
06-27-2003, 06:03 PM
Caching is a blast. Still perfer using my Garmin though to a PPC. I drop my GPS and get it wet too often. Garmin takes a beating and keeps going.