View Full Version : Crushing disappointment

Crystal Eitle
06-26-2003, 10:40 PM
I just spent the better part of an hour on the phone with a co-worker of mine who just bought a Toshiba e350. Even though almost everyone in our company uses Palms, she bought a Pocket PC after seeing how enthusiastic I was about mine (an iPaq 1910). She's had her Tosh for about a week and was pretty happy with it, until it was time to ActiveSync (today was the first day she had time to install the AS software).

Guess what? It didn't sync. ActiveSync just refused to recognize the hardware. :frusty: In an effort to help her out, I did a lot of searching on Toshibas and ActiveSync and find out that Toshiba is notorious for having ActiveSync problems.

I advised her to return the Toshiba to Best Buy and go with an iPaq or a Dell. She sounded excited about the Dell, as she already has a customer account set up with them.

I just hope she decides to stay with PPC instead of getting a Palm. Having played with the PPC OS for a week, she really likes it, but I did let slip that Palm is reputed to be far more reliable as far as synching goes :worried: .

entropy1980
06-26-2003, 11:09 PM
Does she have a firewall installed? Tosh's are known for dropping AS connections not flat out not connecting.... if she has a firewall I can almost guarentee it's the problem....

Enderet
06-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Yeah they can be troublesome at times. I remember that the second time i attempted installing ActiveSync it was a horrible process.

Janak Parekh
06-27-2003, 12:28 AM
Crystal, did you install AS from the CD or from the download? The download might not have the Toshiba INF files preinstalled properly. In general, the safe thing to do is to install the CD first and then upgrade by installing the downloadable version on top of it.

--janak

Crystal Eitle
06-27-2003, 02:28 PM
Crystal, did you install AS from the CD or from the download? The download might not have the Toshiba INF files preinstalled properly. In general, the safe thing to do is to install the CD first and then upgrade by installing the downloadable version on top of it.

--janak
She used the CD. I was helping her over the phone, which was a bit frustrating because I couldn't get my hands on her computer or really see what was going on. She does have a firewall - it's essentially the same machine and setup as my work machine. I've never had any trouble synching my iPaq at work, so that's why I told her to return the Toshiba and just try a different brand of Pocket PC.

Crystal Eitle
06-27-2003, 02:40 PM
UPDATE: My co-worker just called me to say she got her Toshiba to sync perfectly at home last night. Zip, zip, zip, were her exact words. So she's going to try it again at work today.

She said she'll probably keep the Toshiba regardless - she really likes it. That's a relief, I guess.