View Full Version : Speaker died on Jornada 568

vovillamor
06-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster...

The sound on my 568 just quit, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. Sound works fine out of the headphone jack, but not out of the internal speaker. I'm wondering if I might have rattled something loose inside, or...

Could it be a corrupted software issue? I had just started using a WLAN card, and had loaded PocketWarrior into my J568. I had set some sound settings within PocketWarrior for alerts, but that lasted only half a day, and then my internal speaker went out. I've uninstalled/reinstalled all my WLAN software, but with the same results. To rule out a software issue, I thinking of doing a hard reset (but only after I've done a full backup), and seeing if the problem is still there. But this seems so tedious. (The backup took nearly 2 hours to perform, I'm assuming the restore would take at least as long).

Does anyone have any opinions before I do a hard reset? Or is software not an issue here, and the speaker hardware the only thing to look into?

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2003, 02:41 AM
Don't do a hard reset. Did the speaker stop working after you used a headset? I can almost guarantee it is hardware related, not software...

Look at this thread... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10834&start=0)

Steve

vovillamor
06-27-2003, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the reply. That thread was quite interesting.

I rarely use the headphone jack, but I can see how a small piece of debris in the jack can foul up the sound to the internal speaker. It might be that my J568 thinks there's a headphone still plugged in , and disables the internal speaker.

Anyways, PocketPCTechs is only a 20 minute drive from my house. If I can't rattle the sound back into my 568, then I'll take it to them. I've been meaning to drive by there anyway to buy and try out their screen protectors.

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2003, 11:46 AM
:way to go:

Good luck! Let us know how you make out!!!

Steve

EricR
07-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Steve,

Let me know if you need a spare speaker, as I have a two dead Jornadas (#1 touchscreen cracked, #2 LCD cracked) sitting around in various stages of disassembly.

EricR

vovillamor
07-21-2003, 04:00 PM
Steve,

Let me know if you need a spare speaker, as I have a two dead Jornadas (#1 touchscreen cracked, #2 LCD cracked) sitting around in various stages of disassembly.

EricR

Thanks for the offer. My wife's Jornada is working fine, and I'll test my speaker by swapping my speaker with hers. If my Jornada does have a bad speaker, I surely will take you up on that offer. I just need to find some time to swap out and test the speakers on two Jornadas in my house.

I'll post again with after the results of my speaker test.

EricR
07-25-2003, 09:36 AM
OK, I'll check back every now and again!

Certified Optimist
07-28-2003, 07:34 AM
The backup took nearly 2 hours to perform, I'm assuming the restore would take at least as long

Try Pocket Backup Plus. It will take you less than 2 hours (like 10 minutes or so) to back up everything.

It's kept me sane on a couple of occasions.

vovillamor
09-17-2003, 03:26 PM
Steve,

EricR

Thanks for the offer. My wife's Jornada is working fine, and I'll test my speaker by swapping my speaker with hers. If my Jornada does have a bad speaker, I surely will take you up on that offer. I just need to find some time to swap out and test the speakers on two Jornadas in my house.

I'll post again with after the results of my speaker test.

Does anyone know if the Jornada 540 series uses the same speaker assembly (speaker/wire/connector) that the 560 series uses?

As I mentioned above, I've been meaning to swap speakers between a Jornada 568 without speaker sounds with one from a working Jornada 568. I have an old Jornada 540, though. If the speakers are the same between the 540 and 560 series Jornadas, I might as well take apart a good 540, and bad 560, and leave my wife's good 560 alone.

Any thoughts from anyone knowing about the speakers on 540 and 560 series Jornadas?

vovillamor
09-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Steve,

EricR

OK, I did it. I swapped speakers between my Jornada and my wife's, and now I have sound again on my Jornada (at my wife's Jornada's expense...although she say's she can do without sound for a while). The speaker transplant was quite painless...disassemble Jornadas, disconnect speakers, reassemble, test.
I had hoped that I could transplant the speaker on my Jornada 540, but upon disassembly, found out the the 540's speaker is hard-wired (soldered) on, and could not easily be disconnected.

Now I'm in need for a speaker for my wife's Jornada. EricR had offered to help out here...so, EricR, if your reading this, please PM me so that we can make arrangements. Otherwise, if there is anyone else out there that know where I can get a replacement speaker for a Jornada 560, please let me know. I'm guessing here, but, judging by the simple looks of the the speaker assembly (speaker, cable and connector) I'm planning on spending about $5 or $10 dollars on a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any responses.