View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

redifrogger
06-26-2003, 05:17 PM
I've been wanting to get DSL and wireless network for my home for awhile. Well, SBC Yahoo has a deal where I can get DSL for $30/mo. and I have to sign a 1-yr contract. On top of that, they will provide me with all the wireless hardware needed for $149.00, but also give me an instant rebate of $99.00. I have to pay taxes and $15.00 for s/h; I think I also have to buy a wireless card for my laptop, but I have a Toshiba e740, so that already is wireless ready. I'm not a SBC Yahoo customer, but if I switch my local telephone service to them, they'll give me $75 toward my phone bill as well. The hardware to 2Wire, but I don't know much about them. Right now I use dialup, so this sounds sweet, but what else am I missing? :?

Kati Compton
06-26-2003, 05:22 PM
What kind of speed would you be getting on the DSL?

FYI - $30/month is pretty good, but that depends on what speed you get. Don't listen to Canadians telling you that's too much - they tend to get fast internet for much cheaper than those of us in the States, from what I understand.

redifrogger
06-26-2003, 07:23 PM
The speed would vary from 378 kbps to 1.5 mbps depending on various factors. What do you think about the price of setting up the home network? I don't know much about this at all and have never heard of 2Wire. Any input would be great! :)

JackTheTripper
06-26-2003, 07:51 PM
$149 - $99 + $15 = $65

Linksys wireless router for $65 + special offer (FREE Special Edition of Symantec Internet Security 2003)

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=405978/prsrt=1/ut=d14dcde46c91a5b3

So it's not a GREAT deal. Well, except that when I got my DSL it was before they were with Yahoo so we got 3 months at $30 and then it went up to whatever it is now. ($39.95 I think. Can't remember) So $30/month for a year is where the real deal is.

Sunnyone
06-26-2003, 08:50 PM
JacktheTripper said:
So $30/month for a year is where the real deal is.

Yep. My husband works for SBC and the $30/month was a recent price decrease to compete with other offerers such as high-speed cable. But SBC hasn't rolled out DSL to all of their coverage areas, yet. It isn't available in our area :( so we still ... have ... dial-up ... service. Urghhh!