View Full Version : HELP! :-P Buying a new pocket PC

pROvIs
06-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Hi!

I've been putting off buying a pocket pc for a long, long time. I think, I am finally ready to buy one but the market seems in a very strange place. Not only are there quite a few models with very similar specs but there is quite a range in price. Could some individuals please help me in selecting my first pocket pc?

I would like to have WiFi 802.11b built in but it isn't 100 percent necessary, a card will do its just a hassle and from what I hear they take more battery power. I don't really care about blue tooth as I have no peripherals that use it and 802.11b is a better means to cover Internet access. I would like it to be somewhat good for games. A smaller size would be nice. Other than that it will primarily be used to take notes in classes and as a sheduler etc.

I have been looking at the Toshiba e755 but I keep hearing various things about it being bad for games. I have looked at the Ipaqs but I just haven't been impressed. The Dell looks nice but there has to be a reason it is so cheap, it also doesn't have build in wireless that would take an extra slot and become a hassle. Looked a bit at the Zarrus as I would prefer the Linux operating system but it also does not include 802.11b and I don?t want to begin to imagine the hassle of installing a card. I've also been looking at some models coming out soon but September feels like a long way away.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

mc_03
06-26-2003, 03:48 PM
There are a number of reasons the Dell is so cheap, including the fact that it has no wireless built in. But it is a great quality pocket pc and definitely goes above its price point. Plus it has the longest battery life out of all the models you mentioned, so even with an 802.11b card, you would get a better deal, and more battery. The card isn't really a hassle- I just keep my bluetooth card in 24/7, and use the SD slot for memory.

The reason the Toshiba is bad for games is because there is a button lag from the time you press a button until it registers. The Dell is OK for games, as long as you get one with a good dpad. (Many axims came with misaligned or "mushy" dpads, but now the problem seems to be cleared up.)

Actually, I would have to recommend the iPaq 2215, even though it has bluetooth builtin. You can still add a wifi card and have the bluetooth as an extra. It's only $100 more than the Dell, and it's a lot better.

David Prahl
06-26-2003, 07:03 PM
I totally agree! :D

The Axim is a great PPC (I have one), but the early devices (like mine :evil: ) had mushy directional pads. Dell HAS fixed this! I know someone who bought one a few weeks ago. Also, Dell's wireless card works great.

However, it is kind of big, and HP/Compaq is a very popular brand. If you're going to need lots of accessories (besides a wirless card), and want a smaller device, get the 2215.

Both come with Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC, and have similar specs (the 2215 is faster, though).