View Full Version : HP 2215

coppertop
06-26-2003, 04:30 AM
Couldn't resist and bought the HP2215 to replace my Dell Axim. I liked the Axim and still think it's a great value but it was just too bulky for my needs.

The 2215 is thinner and has the dual slots. I sacrificed a couple of fishing trips to make up the cost difference between the HP and Dell but it was worth it.

I don't know enough about the OS to really say if Pocket 2003 is better than Pocket 2002. A few questions though to those who know more about the OS.

1. Any word on patches to allow for pocket money to run on 2003?

2. Do I need a Bluetooth adapter to connect the HP to other Bluetooth items?

3. How do you shut down all the programs without having to go to the settings menu? The Dell had the nice little tool that ran on the top of the screen that let you shut the programs down. Does the HP have that feature? If so, where is it?

4. Any cases on the horizon?

Janak Parekh
06-26-2003, 05:52 AM
1. Any word on patches to allow for pocket money to run on 2003?
I haven't heard any, short of possibly buying Money 2004. I don't use Money, though, so I can't say it with authority.

2. Do I need a Bluetooth adapter to connect the HP to other Bluetooth items?
The 2215 has BT built-in, so not on the 2215 end. You need it if you want to, for example, add BT functionality to your desktop so that your 2215 can speak BT to the desktop.

3. How do you shut down all the programs without having to go to the settings menu? The Dell had the nice little tool that ran on the top of the screen that let you shut the programs down. Does the HP have that feature? If so, where is it?
I believe the 2215 is bundled with iTask, which by default is activated via the arrow hardware button on the unit. From there, you can tap-and-hold the program you want to close, and choose "Close". This is indeed a bit awkward, and there are a variety of task managers that will automate the process (or replace the X button in the corner with a "real" one). Do a search for Wisbar, for example. (My personal favorite is Pocket Plus (http://www.softspb.com/products/pocketplus/index.html), although it is not yet compatible with PPC2k3.)

4. Any cases on the horizon?
I bet. Watch E&B (www.ebcases.com), Vaja (www.vajacases.com), and others...

--janak

darrylb
06-26-2003, 10:17 AM
E&B have already got some cases available. Go see their site (http://www.ebcases.com)

They also have them for the 5500 series....
:D

Christian
06-28-2003, 05:36 PM
E&B have already got some cases available. Go see their site (http://www.ebcases.com)

They also have them for the 5500 series....
:D

Its good to see that people are already making cases for the new iPaq, although I am hoping for a metal flip cover :wink:

GoldKey
06-29-2003, 01:31 AM
I played with the 2215 at best buy today. Damn the little cages they lock them down in so you cant hold them. :devilboy: But I must say, I was really impressed. It felt really quick compared to my Axim. Want to go back with a CF card to see how it is for movies. Add a jog dial and include the flip top cover and this would be a total winner.

PCPhreak
06-29-2003, 02:47 AM
I went to CompUSA today with a CF and a movie. I encoded it using WME 9 and the default Pocket PC settings. The video played great. It's gonna be weird to actually be able to watch videos on this thing, unlike on my Jornada 547.

darrylb
06-29-2003, 08:01 AM
Its good to see that people are already making cases for the new iPaq, although I am hoping for a metal flip cover :wink:

I agree, I am looking to buy the 2210 and having had a E&B Slipper for my 3900 series, I'll be glad to see the back of it. It is annoying that it seems to touch apps in program bar if the PPC is on. You end up with all sorts of apps running. :evil:

I also think a Metal flip case would be the way to go. I hope someone listens... :wink:

don dre
06-30-2003, 06:25 PM
does anyone know if the extended 1840 battery will work with the 2200?

octop8
06-30-2003, 07:30 PM
My biggest gripe with the iPaq 2215 is the position of the speaker. It is actually on the BACK of the unit and the problem is when you hold the PPC, your palm may actually be blocking the speaker. As a result, the sound comes out very soft and the best solution may actually be to use headphones. This is my only issue with what is otherwise a fabulous machine built by HP/HTC.

droppedd
06-30-2003, 08:12 PM
i think it's better to have the speaker in the back - it means you can have a larger speaker without having to increase the height of the unit to allow for a speaker by the bottom. It's a tradeoff- you get more bass and power from a bigger speaker, but at the cost of increased bulk and such... i think HP made a good decision; besides, for any serious work involving sound (anything besides alarms, pretty much) i'd have headphones on anyways.

medic119
06-30-2003, 08:30 PM
does anyone know if the extended 1840 battery will work with the 2200?

I assume you mean 1940 battery?
Probably not. I bought a 1910 battery for my 2215 thinking they were compatible only to find that the posts had been moved on the 2215, so they don't make contact

darrylb
07-01-2003, 03:43 AM
I agree, I never use the built in speaker except for alarms. Must get a decent set of headphones tho :wink:

don dre
07-01-2003, 01:46 PM
I meant the 1840mah extended battery that can be had for $100 from hp's site. not the battey for the ipaq 1940.

spursdude
07-01-2003, 02:41 PM
I meant the 1840mah extended battery that can be had for $100 from hp's site. not the battey for the ipaq 1940.
If you're talking about this (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0565873041.1057066712@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddadcikdhgijmcfngcfkmdfondfgf.0&product_code=253514-B21&cat_level=3&browse_link=true) battery, I would assume it wouldn't work, because the 2215 doesn't have the same ol' iPaq shape this battery probably requires.

don dre
07-01-2003, 03:55 PM
talk about a simple cost cutting measure. keep the batteries standard across all lines. that would reduce production costs. to me it would make sense if all PDA's had a standard design for removable batteries but that's me. I woudl be interested in a souped up battery for this PDA. I'm torn between this and a 5450. I like the idea of smaller size (with CF) but having Wifi built-in is huge. Of course, if the SD wifi is small then I guess that can be made up for.

Chris Spera
07-01-2003, 04:54 PM
This battery will NOT work with the 2200 because it requires the CF or PC Card Expansion Plus Sleeve. This battery doesn't fit directly in the device.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera