View Full Version : ActiveSync on a 'Citrix Client'

nz0eBoy
06-25-2003, 09:21 PM
Until now I have enjoyed the fortunate position of having a PC connected to our work network. Very shortly we will be moving to something the IT department is referring to as a Thin Client. From what I can gather this is basically a PC that runs CItrix and all the heavy lifting is done by the server.

One of my colleagues has been moved him to this system and now he does not seem to be able to get ActiveSync to work and hence can't keep his Pocket PC updated. Very soon they will be moving me over to this new 'thin client' platform.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to work under this scenario. Are there any special requirements, tips or tricks that I can make the IT guys aware of to get this to work? I am about to upgrade my PPC, but wonder if I should if a major part of its usefulness is going to be eliminated.

My apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but I couldn't find anything when I did a search.

Any help would be gratefully recieved, I really want a reason to get a ipaq 22xx.

Dean

CTSLICK
06-26-2003, 12:26 AM
that could be tricky but I think it could be done

check out this forum discussion

http://www.computing.net/pda/wwwboard/forum/486.html

particularly the following post:

" We have run Citrix applications on PocketPC 2002. The performance is great, but most apps require more screen real estate than what is available on the PDA, so it may be clumsy to use.
But, in response to your real question... in order to sync with a Citrix app you would need to install and configure the sync utility (Palm HotSync, MS ActiveSync) on the Citrix server and set it up to profile on a per user basis. We were syncing Palms with Outlook but it was difficult to maintain and support. One last catch, Citrix can't map to local USB ports, so the PDA must communicate through the serial port on the host computer/terminal."

Good Luck!