View Full Version : Pocket PC to Cell Phones

isilver
06-25-2003, 03:58 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a new cell phone. What I hope to do is link this cell phone to my Axim X5. Then have my Axim X5 dial through the cell phone to connect to the internet. I don't even know if this is possible.

Does anyone know what cell phone, additional hardware or software that I will need to do this? Has anyone successfully done this?

msprague
06-25-2003, 04:11 PM
It is possible. For a direct cable connection check out SupplyNet (http://www.thesupplynet.com/searchResults.cfm?nextStart=1&mySearch=mfg&ProdMadeBy=285)for a connecting cable. The list of phones they have cables for is quite extensive. (be sure to click on "Next 15" to see more phones) I have Nextel service and use one of these cables to dial-up to my ISP through my i1000 phone.

The other option is to get a bluetooth card for your Axim and a bluetooth phone.

LazyDonkey
06-25-2003, 04:18 PM
or use infrared connection - which is on most phones in Europe !

maximus
06-25-2003, 04:23 PM
another option will be www.gomadic.com

isilver
06-25-2003, 04:53 PM
Do you guys know which options is usually better. I'm looking for something reliable that isn't too hard to setup.

PetiteFlower
06-25-2003, 08:20 PM
It will really depend on what cell phone carrier you get so decide that first and then we can tell you about which phones.

I use a gomadic cable and love it. I'm also happy to know that when I buy a new PDA and/or phone, I get free upgrades for the new adapters :)

maximus
06-26-2003, 03:13 AM
I am thinking about purchasing a new cell phone. What I hope to do is link this cell phone to my Axim X5. Then have my Axim X5 dial through the cell phone to connect to the internet. I don't even know if this is possible.

Another alternative will be the CF GPRS card, no cable, no cell phone, you just plug it into the CF slot.

QYV
06-26-2003, 06:36 AM
I highly recommend the Gomadic cable over the SupplyNet cable. I've used both, and Gomadic has two significant advantages:

1.) It's cheaper

2.) As PetiteFlower mentioned, if you upgrade your phone or your PDA, they will exchange your old cable for a new one!

The only downside to the Gomadic cable is that it's larger, so it's not quite as convenient to carry around in a pocket.

I use Verizon Wireless and have been wirelessly connecting to the Internet with Pocket PCs using an old Motorola StarTAC phone for more than a year now. If you search for posts by me (QYV) with "Verizon" in them, you should turn up a couple of old threads which have more detailed information in regards to what you want to do.

The CF GPRS card is an interesting idea. I researched this fairly in-depth a few months ago and found a few deal-breakers for me: they run about $200 and they require an extra battery that sticks on the back of your PDA! 8O All that, and you can't use them to talk, either (so you're still carrying a cell phone, too).

A Socket Bluetooth CF card ($100 or so) plus a Sony-Ericsson T68i or Nokia 3650 Bluetooth phone (free from Amazon with T-Mobile plan) is what I'm aiming for right now. No wires or cables! I hear setup can be a pain, but there are good sites on the Web with instructions and once you get it working it's reported to be great.

maximus
06-26-2003, 12:16 PM
The CF GPRS card is an interesting idea. I researched this fairly in-depth a few months ago and found a few deal-breakers for me: they run about $200 and they require an extra battery that sticks on the back of your PDA!

Can you refer us a link for that GPRS card ? $200 with battery is nice price.

All that, and you can't use them to talk, either (so you're still carrying a cell phone, too).

I dont quite understand what you are saying "cant use it to talk" ... but most GPRS card allow you to talk by using a handsfree. So it is actually a phone + PPC.

davea
07-02-2003, 09:48 PM
I vote for the GOMADIC Cable as well. They are a great company to work with. I also bouth their cable to charge my Dell Axim from a USB outlet (works great)!! PS Go to their web site to access instructions on how to get the phone and Dell Axim to talk to one another. For T-Mobile, their instructions worked great for both GPRS and dial-up to an ISP.