View Full Version : PDACorps Reviews Loderunner

Jason Dunn
06-25-2003, 12:37 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pdacorps.com/default.asp?key=pages/loderunner.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.pdacorps.com/default.asp.../loderunner.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"What, no Wile E Coyote? OK, aside from a tenuously similar sounding name, Lode Runner from Ball Shooter Games (<a href="www.ballshooter.com">www.ballshooter.com</a>) bears very little resemblance to the slightly more familiar cartoon featuring everyone’s favourite land-fettered cuckoo. Well, that and the endless running away… Because you do a lot of running in Lode Runner, hence the obvious ‘Runner’ connotations of the game’s name. Running, climbing and a bit of tactical thinking. Sounds promising, if a little derivative. So, what’s on offer?"<br /><br />The crew over at PDACorps, led by Ben, has to be the hardest working team of reviewers I've seen - next to the team at Pocket PC Thoughts of course. :mrgreen: So many reviews!

Programmer
06-25-2003, 01:33 AM
"What, no Wile E Coyote? OK, aside from a tenuously similar sounding name, Lode Runner from Ball Shooter Games (www.ballshooter.com) bears very little resemblance to the slightly more familiar cartoon featuring everyone’s favourite land-fettered cuckoo. Well, that and the endless running away… Because you do a lot of running in Lode Runner, hence the obvious ‘Runner’ connotations of the game’s name. Running, climbing and a bit of tactical thinking. Sounds promising, if a little derivative. So, what’s on offer?"

How old is this reviewer? The last thing I thought of was road runner. I used to play this game back in the early 80s. It was a great game.

I took a quick look at the screen shots it seems exactly as I remembered it.

IIRC, LodeRunner was produced by Broderbund software.

Janak Parekh
06-25-2003, 01:54 AM
How old is this reviewer? The last thing I thought of was road runner. I used to play this game back in the early 80s. It was a great game.
Ditto. We're getting old, aren't we? :cry:

--janak

Programmer
06-25-2003, 03:54 AM
Ditto. We're getting old, aren't we? :cry:

--janak

Yep. I guess I better change my avatar to reflect my growing years. :duh:

sponge
06-25-2003, 05:16 AM
I'm 16, and I NEVER associated Road Runner with Lode Runner, but maybe that's because I'm strange when it comes to old consoles/PCs/so forth...

Ben909
06-25-2003, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure DumJT (our reviewer) would appreciate me revealing his true age here... I'll just say that he probably remembers the 'summer of love'! :? As the review says there is no link with roadrunner other than a very tenuous one centered around a similar sounding name. I think he was just trying to make the review a little more interesting. That, or he's finally starting to go senile in his old age!

*hopes DumJT doesn't notice this message! :wink: *

Jacob
06-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Yup... I remember playing this on my old Mac - the first one that came out in 1984.

I think there was also a commodore 64 version, but I was more partial to Jumpman on that :P

Memories...

kfluet
06-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Agh, now I've got that "Road runner, road runner, never bothered anyone,
Running down the road's his idea of having fun!" song in my head!

I'd completely forgotten about the hours and hours I spent in front of my Apple II+ clone and played Lode Runner on my amber monitor.

Say, I wonder if the original is available somewhere for the Apple II emulator (http://www.geocities.com/bonelyfish/applece.html) that works on PocketPC...

Yep:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/action

DumJT(PDACorps)
06-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Hi, I think Ben pretty much clarified this in his above post, but I thought I'd just drop by to say thanks for the interest in my Lode Runner review at PDACorps.com The really rather pathetic link between Road Runner and Lode Runner (in my addled brain) was that they sound the same. You know, the character in Lode Runner goes 'Beep Beep'. Sorry. Kidding. But you know what I mean, right? Road/Lode... sounds like...?
OK. I won't even mention 'Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers', 'cos that will just start it all off again.
Cheers,
JT
(Please visit my band's site at www.dum.ukartists.com - heck of a lot of free MP3s, pictures, rambling insanity, all the stuff that was cool in music 20 years ago...)