View Full Version : What's your device's name?

Godsongz
06-24-2003, 09:30 PM
I have a 3835 that is named "Fagan" after the leader of the pickpockets in Oliver Twist. I just today bought a 2210 and am thinking of what to name it when it arrives.

It just made me wonder what others have called their devices, and how many PPC's out there are still named "WinCE" :wink:

Sunnyone
06-24-2003, 09:35 PM
Since I use mine at work and at home, my name's very boring - I use :sleeping: my intials. "Rmf"

Jacob
06-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Hermes - messenger of the gods :D

Palmguy
06-24-2003, 10:04 PM
hp

ntractv
06-24-2003, 10:22 PM
My 3835 answers by my screen name. When I finally plunk the $$$'s for the 5555, I guess I'll have to think of a new name. Maybe Dundledorf.

Kati Compton
06-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Right now I'm using kati42 (wonder why....)

Past names for computers, etc, have been Orac, Zen, Deep-Thought, and a few others.

Sometime in the next year I'll have a group of computers for my work that I'll need to think of names for. Right now I'm considering the Strong Bad characters. ;) It'll probably either be that, or various color names.

Janak Parekh
06-24-2003, 10:51 PM
Guys, there's already a long thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5727) on this subject that I started in a different time and age. :) Kati's answer, predictably, was the same. ;)

--janak

Kati Compton
06-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Kati's answer, predictably, was the same. ;)
Well, I haven't gotten a new unit since then! What, do you change the name of your PPCs every 10 days or something? You saying I'm predictable? That I'm boring? I'm no longer exciting to talk to???

:razzing: :lol:

Enderet
06-24-2003, 11:46 PM
Well, I haven't gotten a new unit since then! What, do you change the name of your PPCs every 10 days or something? You saying I'm predictable? That I'm boring? I'm no longer exciting to talk to???

Hahaha you two are funny..... :lol:

maximus
06-25-2003, 02:04 AM

I almost think that you two are married to each other. he heh.

Janak Parekh
06-25-2003, 02:06 AM
Yes. I'm deeply disappointed in you. And at least, you could have pulled a Pony and referenced the old thread, right?

Hmm, we sound like an old married couple. :agrue: I guess it would be a old married threesome if Pony were involved. 8O ;)

--janak

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 02:39 AM
I almost think that you two are married to each other. he heh.
Shhh... don't tell my OTHER husband.

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 02:43 AM
Yes. I'm deeply disappointed in you. And at least, you could have pulled a Pony and referenced the old thread, right?
It's not like I work for this joint. :P

Hmm, we sound like an old married couple. :agrue: I guess it would be a old married threesome if Pony were involved. 8O ;)
I may be adventurous, but I don't do pigs.

dean_shan
06-25-2003, 02:46 AM
I just use DeanShan. It works for me.

madbart
06-25-2003, 02:53 AM
I take it that you guys are talking about the owner name?
Why would you simply not use your proper name?

At then end of the day that is why people still consider windows mobile products toys because they look at the owners name and laugh! :lol:

Especially since my wife has no interest in the unit apart from when she wants to play games she would consider me a tosser and tell me to grow up and get a life! :wink:

Janak Parekh
06-25-2003, 03:04 AM
It's not like I work for this joint. :P
And Pony does? ;)

I may be adventurous, but I don't do pigs.
But you do original IBM PC 5150s? :lol:

Why would you simply not use your proper name?
Why do people name their car, or their bike, or anything? Because they like to.

--janak

Pat Logsdon
06-25-2003, 03:06 AM
The current name of my Axim is "Leprosy".

And my car is named "Gunther", if anyone cares. :D

Crystal Eitle
06-25-2003, 03:08 AM
My car doesn't have a name yet. Anyone want to offer a suggestion? It's a silver 1995 Hyundai Sonata with tinted rear windows (it came from California).

Hmmm. Maybe I should call it "princess."

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 03:09 AM
Not anymore - I picked up a nasty electromagnetic field... 8O

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 03:10 AM
My car doesn't have a name yet. Anyone want to offer a suggestion? It's a silver 1995 Hyundai Sonata with tinted rear windows (it came from California).

My mother got a new car and named it "Baby"... :roll:

Crystal Eitle
06-25-2003, 03:10 AM
:rotfl:

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 03:12 AM
:rotfl:
It's not THAT funny. I think you just want to play with the new icons. :)

Palmguy
06-25-2003, 03:14 AM
Heh heh...my car is named Jessica. No real good reason other than I worked with a hot girl named Jessica, or Jessie. :lol: I know, I'm pathetic!!!

jkabaseball
06-25-2003, 03:17 AM
mine is you D*** little peice of **** :lol: only when it doesn't work. all the other times its my little sidekick

Pat Logsdon
06-25-2003, 03:24 AM

My wife had an early 90's Excel for awhile. Terrible car. After driving it a few times, I dubbed it "The Feeble Furnace". :mrgreen:

She called it Mary, after the Python skit about Mary Queen of Scots: "I'm not dead yet!".

Janak Parekh
06-25-2003, 03:56 AM
OK, I had to move this thread to "Off-Topic". ;)

How, exactly, are you posting, then? May I ask? :lol:

--janak

nosmohtac
06-25-2003, 05:16 AM

I'm going off topic here because this is a repeat thread.

HYUNDAI: Hope You Understand Nothing is Dependable And Inexpensive.

:wink:

Just Kidding Crystal. I test drove one recently, and they are a very nice car with a very good warranty.

Mitch D
06-25-2003, 06:30 AM
Since I use mine at work and at home, my name's very boring - I use :sleeping: my intials. "Rmf"

Add a "T" in the after the "M" and you would have what I wisper to myself each time one of my customers says something doesn't work!

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 06:37 AM
I look at the screen and think REALLY HARD and the words just appear....

Mitch D
06-25-2003, 06:46 AM
I look at the screen and think REALLY HARD and the words just appear....

Hang on Kati.... I think the Matrix has you... any second now Agents will be knocking at your door!

Dave Beauvais
06-25-2003, 07:01 AM
Server: "BovaySvr" (Self-built server, no brand)
Pocket PC: "Daveh5455" (HP iPAQ h5455)
Notebook: "DaveL400" (Dell Latitude L400)
Workstation: "DaveWork" (Self-built workstation/gaming machine)

Car: "Hang in There" (13-year-old Nissan Stanza with "only" 107,000 miles. I just gave her new brakes and fresh oil this weekend.) Since I've been unemployed for some time now, I really need her to "hang in there" for another year or so. :)

I don't actually give my car and various devices real names because I think that's kinda stupid. (No offense intended to those who do.) Devices should be named in such a way that you can tell what they are or at least what they do just from the name. Oddly enough, however, I do associate my devices and the car with a particular gender. My car, notebook, and Pocket PC are female, but the server and workstation are male. I'm sure there's some phychological explanation for that. :)

Useless Dave Trivia of the DayTM: "Bovay" (As in the server name above) is the way I spell my last name to pizza places, restaurants when making reservations, and other people who seem to be unable to deal with the actual spelling.

--Dave

Crystal Eitle
06-25-2003, 12:34 PM

I'm going off topic here because this is a repeat thread.

HYUNDAI: Hope You Understand Nothing is Dependable And Inexpensive.

:wink:

Just Kidding Crystal. I test drove one recently, and they are a very nice car with a very good warranty.
I love my Hyundai! The car gods were smiling upon me the day I bought it this past November. It's a 1995, had 68,000 miles on it, and was in pristine condition. Oh, and I paid less than 3,000 for it. It hasn't given me a lick of trouble so far (knock on wood).

Unfortunately, it handles like a bucket in the snow. And we get a lot of snow here.

Also, it isn't quite in "pristine" condition anymore. Since I live in the city, it now has quite a few scuffs on the bumper from "contact parking", as well as a smashed driver's-side mirror from being parked on a busy street. I was not happy when I saw that one. Also, I had a run-in with a tree in the so-called parking spot in the alley behind my house, and now it has a little dent in the driver's-side door.

Anyway, it's a luxury car compared to my previous car, a 1983 Chevy Celebrity. I picked up that car for $500. It was $500 too much. It lasted me 5 months. Barely.

maximus
06-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Server : Maximus2opt2024 (Dual Opterons with 2048 megs RAM)
Car : Evolution8 (Most appropriate name)
Workstation1 : MaximusP4C8001024
Workstation2 : MaximusA7N8X1024

Dell Axim : Undecided ... I am thinking of calling is "Kati" ....

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 04:47 PM
8O :oops:

Janak Parekh
06-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Won't your girlfriend get suspicious? :lol:

On the other hand, maybe we all should call our Pocket PCs Kati. :sunny:

--janak

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 04:51 PM
On the other hand, maybe we all should call our Pocket PCs Kati. :sunny:
Then how will we all be able to tell ours apart? :silly:

Steven Cedrone
06-25-2003, 05:47 PM

For starters, you can call yours "Janak"... :wink:

Steve

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 05:54 PM

But I already changed mine to STEVDOR! (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=119329&highlight=machine+man#119329)

maximus
06-26-2003, 02:42 AM
Won't your girlfriend get suspicious? :lol:

--janak

That's the beauty of it. Her name is Kathleen. :alfdance: :clap: :grinning devil:

maximus
06-26-2003, 02:51 AM

But I already changed mine to STEVDOR! (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=119329&highlight=machine+man#119329)

So, between Janak and Steve, you prefer Steve ?

This is weird, I am trying to find Steve's emoticon, they one he used a lot in reminding us to stay on the topic .... cant find it. Is that emoticon dedicated to Steve only ? he heh.

Kati Compton
06-26-2003, 07:08 AM
So, between Janak and Steve, you prefer Steve ?
Steve does have more of my taste in music...

But really, TROGDOR trumps them both. I love his big beefy arm.... comin' out of the back of his neck, there...

maximus
06-26-2003, 07:47 AM
umm, what is a trogdor ?

Steven Cedrone
06-26-2003, 12:21 PM
umm, what is a trogdor ?

Look here (http://www.homestarrunner.com/trogdor.html) grasshopper, and all of your questions will be answered...

Click the "main" button and look at the rest of the site as well...

Steve

maximus
06-26-2003, 12:28 PM
ha ha ha. sworded.

Jason Dunn
07-22-2003, 03:49 AM
I name all my devices after Japanese words, usually weapons: Wakazashi, Katana etc.

nice_micael
07-22-2003, 12:34 PM
I used to calll my old toshiba e740 toshilla . (you nkwo godzilla) :mrgreen: 0X

xoiph
07-24-2003, 05:30 AM
My iPAQ 1910 is Kiki (don't ask :oops: ) and my 96 Geo Tracker is Julie :)

ctmagnus
07-26-2003, 05:29 AM

I don't know. I've never spoken to you in my life.

Typed to, yes, but never spoken to. :mrgreen:

maximus
07-30-2003, 02:54 AM
let me guess your PPC name ... it is .... it is .... it is .... Troll's Device ? :rotfl:

Jeff Rutledge
07-30-2003, 03:11 AM
Mine is called iPAQ_JR.

Hey, I never said I was original. 0X

ctmagnus
07-30-2003, 05:55 AM
Mine is called iPAQ_JR.

Hey, I never said I was original. 0X

3670: Erwin

5550: Erwin_II

Top that! :wink:

ctmagnus
07-30-2003, 05:58 AM
let me guess your PPC name ... it is .... it is .... it is .... Troll's Device ? :rotfl:

Nah. Only Kati called implied that I'm (was?) a troll. I prefer Crystal's implication that I'm an imp.