View Full Version : Guidelines for creating .html websites

SKEMONE
06-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Hi everybody,

I have to make a website for pocket pc and I was wondering if anybody has some guidelines on which html/javascript I can use... I'm a total newby when it comes to pocket pc, so any help would be most welcome.

Hope you can help!

tnx in advance,

SKEM ONE

Dave Beauvais
06-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Generally speaking, the simpler, the better. I don't think the Pocket PC 2002 version of IE supports anything beyond HTML v3, so many of the fancier things you can do for desktop browsers won't work at all on the PPC. You can't really get too fancy with fonts since the Pocket PC doesn't have a wide variety of fonts -- unless you've manually copied some more. In theory, you can use JScript with the new version of IE included in Windows Mobile 2003, but the previous version doesn't do scripting very well. Keep it simple and you should be okay.

I've found that not specifying a fixed page width tends to work the best on Pocket IE. Let the browser render the page to best fit the screen instead of trying to do it yourself.

I created a custom "start page" for my PPC using simple HTML tables, positioning with a transparent GIF file, and the simplest HTML tags. You can see a sample of it on this page (http://www.beauvais1.com/ppc/pie_start_page/).

I'm looking forward to seeing how well the new IE supports cascading style sheets. With CSS support, designing for PPCs can be much simpler. (Plus, with CSS, I should be able to turn off the underscore on hyperlinks for that start page.!)

--Dave