View Full Version : Upgrade to PPC2003 = What is going to go, and what is going to stay.

maximus
06-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Just a hypothetical question, suppose the PPC2003 upgrade is out (And it is free :wink: ). When we are installing it to our PPC, it will require a hard reset, right ? Which of the following are going to be gone ?

- contacts
- programs on 'main'
- programs on 'built-in storage'

Are applications that are installed on SD card will still be able to be run (once done with PPC2003 upgrade) ? considering that some of the files for this applications are installed on /windows/ ?

Charles Pickrell
06-23-2003, 06:06 PM
It is my understanding (but I could be wrong) that you will loose everything in memory and you will need to reinstall your apps. You will then re-sync your Pocket PC via activeSync to get your PIM information back. You should make a backup of your My Documents folder first too.

PetiteFlower
06-23-2003, 08:19 PM
You will not lose anything in Built in storage, but if you have programs on there you will have to reinstall them anyway, overtop of the old installation, otherwise the main memory won't know that they are there. I can't give you a more technical explanation then that :) Same goes for any programs installed on a memory card.

You will lose ALL data in RAM. You can back up your PIM data and restore it after, or if you trust activesync(and sync all items with Outlook, I don't) you can just sync after the reset and get all your data that way. But do NOT try to do a full backup restore after installing an upgrade, that's just asking for trouble. Reinstall all your programs from scratch.

maximus
06-24-2003, 02:37 AM
Doh. I have 500+ people on my contact, and I truly, deeply, madly, hate activesync. Activesync always managed to screw me off.

Does that means I have to write them all down with a pencil, upgrade the PPC, and start tapping the contacts back in ?

oh .. my .. god ..

jkabaseball
06-24-2003, 02:43 AM
how long can you write?

you could find out where they keep them in pc and pput them into a Sd or cf card.

PetiteFlower
06-24-2003, 04:59 AM
Of course not, what I did was downloaded the trial of Pocket Backup and had it back up my PIM data ONLY to my SD card. Then I did the upgrade, installed Pocket Backup again, and restored the PIM data. Then I reinstalled all my other programs. I ended up with about 5 more megs of RAM then I had before, too :)

maximus
06-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Did anyone mention that you are a life saviour ? :D

Just curious, Is the 'contact' on PPC2003 still sorted based on lastname ?