View Full Version : Windows Mobile 2003 Upgrades for ViewSonic V35, Pocket LOOX 600, O2 XDA

Crystal Eitle
06-23-2003, 04:33 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosyncworld.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.infosyncworld.com/</a><br /><br /></div>From InfoSync world, via the forums here at PPCT: <a href="http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3728.html">ViewSonic</a>, <a href="http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3724.html">Fujitsu-Siemens</a>, and <a href="http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3726.html">mm02</a> have all announced their plans to make Windows Mobile 2003 upgrades available for their devices.<br /><br />"ViewSonic today announced that it would provide free upgrades to the new version of the operating to users in compliance with the Microsoft Technical Upgrade Program. The program ensures users who have purchased the V35 within 30 days before or 90 days after the launch a free upgrade. ViewSonic V35 owners who did not purchase their device within this time span will be required to purchase the upgrade, however ViewSonic has yet to decide what the company will charge." <br /><br />"Customers who purchased their Pocket LOOX 600 between 23 May and 23 September 2003 will be able to upgrade their device for a handling fee of 26.99 EUR, while customers who purchased their device beyond the upgrade period will be able to obtain the upgrade for 59.95 EUR. Fujitsu Siemens will make the upgrade available in the third quarter."<br /><br />"Mobile network operator mmO2 today announced its intent to bring to market an upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC for its O2 XDA WAN handheld. Currently undergoing internal alpha testing, mmO2 could neither comment on whether the upgrade would be made available to users for free, nor at what time the upgrade could be expected to arrive."<br /><br />It's up to each OEM to decide whether to offer an upgrade; Microsoft gives every OEM the code; it's up to that OEM to decide if they want to sell it, give it away for free, or not do anything with it. Each OEM has to do custom driver work, quality and assurance testing, etc. So if an OEM chooses to not offer an upgrade for a certain device, it's usually because they don't think they can make money at it - which is bad for consumers but not the fault of Microsoft.

entropy1980
06-23-2003, 04:43 PM
I was a little suprised to hear the XDA was on the upgrade list....seems so far to be the only StrongArm on the list....

Cortex
06-23-2003, 04:44 PM
in my typical hypocritical way i will say the following....

"T-Mobile!!! Come on T-Mobile!!!!"

hey, if they do it for free i'll take it.

Crud, just read its the WAN version :cry:

thanos255
06-23-2003, 04:45 PM
How can they verify purchase dates anyway?

Thanks
Thanos

entropy1980
06-23-2003, 04:51 PM
How can they verify purchase dates anyway?

Thanks
Thanos
It's called a reciept.... :lol: &lt;ducks>

thanos255
06-23-2003, 04:57 PM
They expect us to fax in reciepts and then wait for a CD??

No downloads?

Thanks
Thanos

Trokair
06-23-2003, 05:02 PM
The hp Windows Mobile 2003 Upgrade (http://www.hp.com/sbso/special/ppc_upgrade.html) link is live, but asks for you to check back on June 26th for more information. The upgrade is free for recent purchases of the iPAQ 3900/5400 series, and $29.95 for the rest of us.

-Kyle

Jimmy Dodd
06-23-2003, 05:02 PM
I hope the Viewsonic offer covers the V37 as well.

Paul P
06-23-2003, 05:03 PM

No downloads?

Thanks
Thanos

Unless I am mistaken, that's how it was done last time with the 2002 upgrade.

sualeh
06-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Crossing my fingers for an HP Jornada 568 upgrade...

rosettaZ
06-23-2003, 05:10 PM
You will need more than crossing finger for that one. I would say animal sacrifice. :lol:

gorkon280
06-23-2003, 05:10 PM
Painfully long link (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pc/pc_news_display.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0060429108.1056352142@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadcijejmfjecgfkceghdgngdglk.0&comm=CS&newsType=Press%20Release&ruleSet=getPressRelease&newsID=3233524525)

There's no update for the e740 according to the upper link. CompUSA is going to hear me knocking on their door...hello CompUSA.....wanna give me a iPaq 5455? :) I don't CARE if I have to buy a new GPS or cable so I can use a keyboard with it. I am SICK of Toshiba not fixing the problems with this device. :armed: :twak:

Crystal Eitle
06-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Crossing my fingers for an HP Jornada 568 upgrade...
'Twould be nice. Those Jornadas seem like fabulous machines. However, I'd be shocked if HP were to offer Windows Mobile 2003 upgrades for them. I'm guessing they won't want to compete with sales of their new machines.

However, as always, I Could Be Wrong.

thanos255
06-23-2003, 05:17 PM
thanos255 wrote:

No downloads?

Thanks
Thanos

Unless I am mistaken, that's how it was done last time with the 2002 upgrade

Hell, If they expect me to mail in something and then wait for them to mail something back which would probably be a month or so, they are phreaking nuts. I would rather just pay the $30 and download it!

My attitude has NOTHING to do with the fact that I don't qualify for the upgrade :twisted:

Thanks
Thanos

Scott R
06-23-2003, 05:33 PM
Do you mean to tell me that the HP iPaq 1910, arguably the most popular PPC of recent history, won't be upgradable? Aside from the point I just made about it being so popular, it also happens to run on XScale. What's going on here? Yeah, this should go over well.

Scott

sponge
06-23-2003, 05:50 PM
I'd be surprised if it CAN upgrade, no serial host/client/USB host for one. Took a while for the Linux folks to get anything working on the 1910 due to these problems.

rfischer
06-23-2003, 05:54 PM
How about the T-Mobile? Does anyone have any insider info on whether they will release an OS update? :?:

Crystal Eitle
06-23-2003, 05:55 PM
Do you mean to tell me that the HP iPaq 1910, arguably the most popular PPC of recent history, won't be upgradable? Aside from the point I just made about it being so popular, it also happens to run on XScale. What's going on here? Yeah, this should go over well.
I'd love to upgrade my beloved little 1910, but I've reconciled myself to the fact that it was pretty much obsolete the moment I bought it.

Still, it seems a shame to waste that XScale processor. That's about the only thing it has going for it over the new 19xx's.

juni
06-23-2003, 06:11 PM
:? I have to wait until september for my Loox to get updated?

Grrrr... I want it today!

eustts
06-23-2003, 06:12 PM
The date window seems very small for the supposed free upgrade... I sort of assumed if you purchsed a 545x you would get it for free. Oh well.

I still will pay the $30 bucks. :roll:

scargill
06-23-2003, 06:17 PM
The date window seems very small for the supposed free upgrade... I sort of assumed if you purchsed a 545x you would get it for free. Oh well.

I still will pay the $30 bucks. :roll:

Yeah, I got my 3900 in January, I thought that when you'd paid £300 (I guess $400ish) for a machine then they would actually give free after support for it. Well I suppose I'm gonna pay the $30 for it, or whatever they charge in the UK (i'd better not have to pay in $ + American P&P for the CD.

brianchris
06-23-2003, 06:19 PM
The hp Windows Mobile 2003 Upgrade (http://www.hp.com/sbso/special/ppc_upgrade.html) link is live, but asks for you to check back on June 26th for more information. The upgrade is free for recent purchases of the iPAQ 3900/5400 series, and $29.95 for the rest of us.

-Kyle

Anyone else a little concerned that only the 5450 is mentioned, and *not* the 5455? True, the 3900 series includes all (3970, 3950, 3955, etc. etc.), but then why not say the 5400 series instead of just 5450? I'm sure I have nothing to worry about, and, regardless, looks like we will know more on June 26th. Thanks for the link!

-Brian

Jason Dunn
06-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I got my 3900 in January, I thought that when you'd paid £300 (I guess $400ish) for a machine then they would actually give free after support for it. Well I suppose I'm gonna pay the $30 for it, or whatever they charge in the UK (i'd better not have to pay in $ + American P&P for the CD.

You did get free support - ROM updates!

This is a whole new OS. When Windows XP came out, did Microsoft give free upgrades to all Windows 2000 users? How is this any different? :wink:

Jimmy Dodd
06-23-2003, 06:50 PM
Painfully long link (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pc/pc_news_display.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0060429108.1056352142@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadcijejmfjecgfkceghdgngdglk.0&comm=CS&newsType=Press%20Release&ruleSet=getPressRelease&newsID=3233524525)

There's no update for the e740 according to the upper link. CompUSA is going to hear me knocking on their door...hello CompUSA.....wanna give me a iPaq 5455? :) I don't CARE if I have to buy a new GPS or cable so I can use a keyboard with it. I am SICK of Toshiba not fixing the problems with this device. :armed: :twak:

My sentiments exactly. I bought my e740 from Best Buy and paid for the three year extended warranty. I've been waiting to exchange it for a PPC 2003 (oops, sorry, Windows Mobile) device for six months now. I suffer from the e740 suddenly deciding to drain its battery once a month or so. The 2215 looks nice, but I really want built-in WiFi so I guess I'll wait a little longer.

I paid $569 for the e740, so hopefully the 5500 series of iPaq will be in the same ballpark as that so I can do a straight trade.

scargill
06-23-2003, 07:00 PM

You did get free support - ROM updates!

This is a whole new OS. When Windows XP came out, did Microsoft give free upgrades to all Windows 2000 users? How is this any different? :wink:

I suppose! But Windows 2000 actually runs better than Windowx XP! ;-)
I guess I'm going to pay for 2003, I've played with the SDK and although the changed do seem minimal they're certainly worth it!
Will put the number of pieces of software I have purchased for my PocketPC upto 4!!
I'm going to wait to see what people say first though I think, and I'll wait until PocketPlus works, I cant live without it!

gorkon280
06-23-2003, 07:08 PM
[quote=gorkon280]
My sentiments exactly. I bought my e740 from Best Buy and paid for the three year extended warranty. I've been waiting to exchange it for a PPC 2003 (oops, sorry, Windows Mobile) device for six months now. I suffer from the e740 suddenly deciding to drain its battery once a month or so. The 2215 looks nice, but I really want built-in WiFi so I guess I'll wait a little longer.

I paid $569 for the e740, so hopefully the 5500 series of iPaq will be in the same ballpark as that so I can do a straight trade.

BEAT YA! I bought my e740 the second Compusa had them...paid like 599! I am also going to "try" to whine and get them to throw a free CF sleeve in it too. My excuse would be BUT the e740 had a CF slot! :) I know...probably won't work, but I can try! I HOPE I can show them the unresponsive WiFi without a Soft Reset bug. OOOO! That one pisses me off the most. That and the spec of dust on my screen.

Jimmy Dodd
06-23-2003, 07:22 PM
BEAT YA! I bought my e740 the second Compusa had them...paid like 599! I am also going to "try" to whine and get them to throw a free CF sleeve in it too. My excuse would be BUT the e740 had a CF slot! :) I know...probably won't work, but I can try! I HOPE I can show them the unresponsive WiFi without a Soft Reset bug. OOOO! That one pisses me off the most. That and the spec of dust on my screen.

I only paid $569 because it was on sale for $30 off that week. That's actually the reason I bought it at BestBuy instead of CompUSA. It was a bad decision despite the $30 difference as CompUSA has a much better selection than BestBuy does. They now carry the 2210, the 5450, and the new Toshiba e355 (or whatever it's called - the grey one). That's about it. At least at CompUSA you have a few more models to choose from.

I spoke t the BestBuy guy today and discussed trading it in on a 2210. He said that they actually mark up the unit you get in return to the price you originally paid so that your warranty still covers the same amount (in case the new one goes belly up within the original plan coverage). If I do that then I'll be the only guy on this board with a $569 iPaq 2210. :roll:

Abba Zabba
06-24-2003, 10:38 AM

No downloads?

Thanks
Thanos

Unless I am mistaken, that's how it was done last time with the 2002 upgrade.

The last time that I did that with Compaq it took months for me to get my freaking upgrade :evil: