View Full Version : Axim's sound capabilities?

kapakous
06-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Hello to everyone!

I am interested in buying an Axim basic,but i have some major questions first.I hope that you can help me with these:

I have read in many forums that the Axim's integrated recorder is not so good.Since i would like to use it pretty much often, i was wondering how bad could this be.Would it be an exaggeration to use it for recording ideas that i come up with my guitar?I mean, will i be able to listen to those ideas at a time later, or they would be irrecognisable?
Secondly, i would like to know what the capabilities of the mp3 player are.Is it any good?

As you can see music is my passion!!!

Kevin C. Tofel
06-22-2003, 03:50 PM
I can't speak to the first question, but definitely can regarding the second question.

I have the Axim advanced and use it daily to listen to music I've ripped from my CD's. I don't use the MP3 format, but rather, the WMA format through Windows Media Player 9. I encode using the Variable Bit Rate and it usually works out to a bit rate between 60 and 80 kbps.....comparable to if not the same as CD Quality.

I find the sound quality to be excellent, however, I strongly recommend that you plan to use the Axim with headphones. The single speaker isn't up to snuff for music listening. I would say that this probably holds true with most PPC's, not just the Dell.

Best of luck!

KCT

kapakous
06-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks for taking time to answer!

Anyone can answer my first question? :(

bwillet
06-22-2003, 05:12 PM
Well, I can't answer the first question about the voice recorder either, but I have a different opinion of the Axim's output sound quality. The amplifier circuitry in the Axim, well, sucks! The audio is 10x better on every other Pocket PC I've used (iPaq 3870 (2), Jornada 568 (4), Toshiba e740, Toshiba e755). It sounds moderately OK at medium volumes, but if you try to crank it up at all, it distorts HEAVILY. Of course I'm talking about using headphones, since as Kevin C. Tofel said, the internal speaker isn't much good for music (and can't be expected to be). I'm more of a high-VBR MP3 kind of guy, but I think with WMA I think you'd notice the audio problems with the Axim more. I just bought a Toshiba e755, and there's no comparison audio-wise to the Axim. And the iPaqs are pretty much the best as far as audio goes. If music is your passion, I don't think the Axim is a good choice. It's a great machine, but just not for music.

Jason Dunn
06-23-2003, 01:39 AM
Would it be an exaggeration to use it for recording ideas that i come up with my guitar?I mean, will i be able to listen to those ideas at a time later, or they would be irrecognisable?

Absolutely - you can also adjust the quality of the sound recording to get a decent quality audio file. But it wouldn't be high enough quality to mix into a recording and turned into a CD for instance... :wink:

maximus
06-23-2003, 07:34 AM
While we are at it, does anyone know if there are ways to increase axim's speaker output power? Just curious.

Crystal Eitle
06-23-2003, 07:38 AM
I like the iPaqs for sound recording. Both my boyfriend and I have taken our iPaqs to rock concerts and used them to record (he has 3875? I have 1910). The sound is pretty decent.

Jason Dunn
06-24-2003, 03:05 AM
While we are at it, does anyone know if there are ways to increase axim's speaker output power? Just curious.

Google "Boosteroo"