View Full Version : What are the must have apps for ppc

Steveb123
06-21-2003, 04:51 AM
I am feeling the need to equip my axim with some new software. I am wondering what the community feels are the most essentials apps that should be on my ppc. It would also be fine if you could tell me some suave programs that are simply cool.

Thanks all.

baker
06-21-2003, 05:03 AM
PocketBackup - fast, should have been my first purchase.
Agenda Fusion - PIM
Flex Wallet - for all of the passwords, door codes, etc. I can't remember at work or home.
SpaceMaker - to take out the trash.
Cadenza's mNotes - I have to sync with Lotus Notes at work and this one works though kind of pricey.
Palbum Suite - just had our 4th and it's nice to let folks watch the pictures roll through
I'm toying with the idea of Pocket Quicken.

davidspalding
06-21-2003, 05:25 AM
Ghisler.com's Total Commander file manager
Mobipocket's Reader
PHM.lu's ... so many ... suspend, reset, today meters, reg editor,....
Backup software, regardless of brand name ... but you must use it
Task switcher ... I use Gigabar, but use whatever suits your style

Jacob
06-21-2003, 05:28 AM
PocketInformant - another option for a PIM
IcBar - great task switcher.

Anthony Caruana
06-21-2003, 05:52 AM
For me the first things I always install to my Pocket PC after a hard reset

1 - eWallet
2 - Pocket Today
3 - Cadenza mNotes
4 - Laridian Pocket Bible with a couple of reference books and the NRSV transaltion

With those things I can gt on with 99% of what I need my Pocket PC for

Regards

Fzara
06-21-2003, 06:07 AM
How many times must this question be asked?

If you can't find it using the search button, then ask the question. Other than that, stop repeating questions.

wbgordy
06-21-2003, 06:19 AM
Why is there always someone who needs to whine about a newby posting a common question :roll: ? What is the big deal? To me, it just seems hostile, and will only shy away people from this forum. Also, this is a good question to ask every now then if just to see if anyone has a new program they'd like to point out to everyone.

bigkingfun
06-21-2003, 07:09 AM
A program that I've just recently installed that I think is one of the most valuable is Repligo. This program lets you take any file that you can print from your desktop with you on the PPC in a readable format. I use this to read all my PDF files - it's much better than the Acrobat Reader for the PPC. Between this and Palm Reader I can read almost any ebook or text document I want.

I agree with the last post - this question does get asked pretty regularly, but I read the lists every time and invariably find something new to try.

dean_shan
06-21-2003, 07:24 AM
If you're into ebooks get palm reader.
You can get Olive Tree Bible Reader. You can read free bibles and purchase bibles.
I use NoteM for audio recording. Not only does it record in MP3 format it is FREE.
I have more but I don't consider it a killer app for everyone.

thomas1973
06-21-2003, 09:12 AM
Pocket Informant - PIM
Icbar - task manager
PocketTweak - registry tweaks without having to edit the register yourself. Make those scrollbars thinner!
Advanced Explorer - a great file explorer gone shareware, but you can still find the 'old' freeware version on www.webattack.com PPC download pages. Adv. Explorer is IMO much more userfriendly than Total Commander.
PocketBlinds - A GUI skinning program. Just to make your PPC look nice!
eWallet - for your PINs and passwords.
WorldTime - World clock, weather forecasts (also as a today plugin!) units converter and a selfupdating currency converter. Great app!
Repligo - read doc, pdf, html and powerpoint files on your PPC!
Ira - still beta, still free imageviewer from Rasoft. VERY fast.

Oh, and I don't mind these threads, either. I know they're common, but as long as the header tells what it is, like Steveb123's "What are the must have apps for ppc", you can easily single it out, and just not view it if you're sick of it. Now, what I don't like, are posting threads like "Help!" or "New Pocket PC" or something. As long as the header is selfexplanatory - I say fine! Hope you find some cool apps Steveb123!

Check out www.pocketgear.com and www.handango.com for software, although you might want to use :google: for searching for SW, as the on-site search engines suck.

For freeware, try www.pocketpcfreewares.com. The biggest and best :D

Thomas.

Thomas.

dh
06-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Must have apps???

1. Pocket Informant, the best PPC program of all IMO.

2. Textmaker, if you need to handle Word documents on the go.

3. Repligo, viewer for every type of document.

4. @mail, not perfect but a good e-mail option. New version before long.

5. PocketMVP, to make your PPC a super multimedia device.

Fzara
06-21-2003, 06:06 PM
I don't know, I just don't like seeing repetetive posts by users, when the same topic is 4 lines down with a similar subject.

Kati Compton
06-21-2003, 06:13 PM
I don't know, I just don't like seeing repetetive posts by users, when the same topic is 4 lines down with a similar subject.
It's good to have updated info though. For cases where there's two parallel threads started about the same time, you could let a moderator know so the threads could be consolidated. If they're a month apart, then it's worth finding out if there's been changes in the available software.

Not to be pushy, but if threads like these bother you, you can easily avoid reading them. Especially if, as a previous poster pointed out, they have very self-explanatory titles that tell you what the thread is about. While reading the whole of PPCT is a noble endeavor, it's not necessary. Even I have given up on that! :lol:

Crystal Eitle
06-21-2003, 08:53 PM
It's good to have updated info though. For cases where there's two parallel threads started about the same time, you could let a moderator know so the threads could be consolidated. If they're a month apart, then it's worth finding out if there's been changes in the available software.

Not to be pushy, but if threads like these bother you, you can easily avoid reading them. Especially if, as a previous poster pointed out, they have very self-explanatory titles that tell you what the thread is about. While reading the whole of PPCT is a noble endeavor, it's not necessary. Even I have given up on that! :lol:

I agree. In my case, my list of must-have apps have changed from when I first got my Pocket PC. Now that I've spent more time with it, I have a better idea what my "essentials" are.

- WisBar (maybe there's better task switchers out there, but this one does the job for me and I've been too lazy to try out others)
- Pocket Informant
- tAgenda
- ThemeMaster
- MS Reader
- Inesoft Cash Organizer
- Achieve-It! (goal setting software)
- Hexacto's The Emperor's Mahjong
- Sprite Pocket Backup
- iSilo and iSiloX

hillstrom
06-22-2003, 08:04 AM
Pocket informant :D
Vito Soundexplorer :D
Vito buttonmapper :D

flux2k
06-24-2003, 07:05 PM
You guys are too serious :D I've been playing Super Mario 3 nonstop using Pocket Nester. Just make sure you own the real cartridges.

Hawkeyes
06-24-2003, 11:12 PM
First and foremost, Pocket Informant. Can't have a PPC without it, or I suppose AF.

Then WisBar Advance.

Done. The perfect PDA. Anything else is just icing.

jensenjb
06-25-2003, 03:01 AM
I usually read these posts each time even though they come up about once every couple of weeks. In looking at Crystal's list, I found one program, Achieve-It, that I have not seen yet. After I play with it for awhile, I may have to start a new thread to see what everyone else thinks of it!

As for my must have list, I would include:
*Repligo (it makes you hate the adobe viewer)
*Listpro (I just started using it a couple of weeks ago but it is turning into one of my everyday apps
*Launcher (Today plug-in to provide access to any of your programs)
*PocketBible/Daily Reader (I've always been horrible at staying with devotionals but this is really helping)
*Any shareware file explorer (the one with the OS sucks!) - I'm using TotalCommander but I liked AdvancedExplorer as well
*FlexWallet
*PalmReader and a number of good free books!
*Pocket Informant

Games
*Ed H. turned me to PocketSlay but it is starting to loose appeal after a month or two.
*PocketMonopoly was fun for 30 days. They're nuts if they think it is worth $30!
*Pocket Lemonade Stand is a unique game and fun for myself and my 7 year old daughter.

I'm still looking for the killer music player. I've converted a lot of my files to .ogg and use WinamPAQ but I still think there is room for improvement (can I please control the song list and the volume with my jog dial and buttons!).

While long-winded, hopefully someone will find something of use here.

spursdude
06-25-2003, 03:23 AM
I'm still looking for the killer music player. I've converted a lot of my files to .ogg and use WinamPAQ but I still think there is room for improvement (can I please control the song list and the volume with my jog dial and buttons!).
Have you tried using PocketMVP (http://www.pocketmvp.com)?

maximus
06-25-2003, 04:18 PM
What I really need is an ogg player equipped with a working equalizer. :D

Crystal Eitle
06-25-2003, 04:20 PM
What I really need is an ogg player equipped with a working equalizer. :D
The upcoming JVC PPC is supposed to have exactly that :rock on dude!:

maximus
06-26-2003, 02:52 AM
The upcoming JVC PPC is supposed to have exactly that

The equalizer control is by hardware or software ?

CoreyJF
06-26-2003, 06:52 PM
Resco file explorer 2003
POcket Plus
Pocket backup
pocket mvp
AOL

volwrath
07-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Without a doubt, the number 1 reader is ubook. Its a must have.

bmceachen
07-03-2003, 01:27 AM
While risking offense to Fzara I'm going to ask a slightly off topic Q that may have been answered somewhere else on this site. What is the difference between an ogg file and and mp3 file? What are the effective differences (eg. quality, size, etc.)?

Thanks

Janak Parekh
07-03-2003, 01:30 AM
What is the difference between an ogg file and and mp3 file? What are the effective differences (eg. quality, size, etc.)?
In Fzara's words: "why aren't you searching???" :lol:

Seriously, for a low bitrates Ogg sounds a LOT better than MP3. So, if you're planning to encode music at 64kbps to store a lot on a storage card, Ogg and WMA are much better choices than MP3. Ogg also happens to be a free, open codec, which I like from a principle standpoint.

--janak

squeeze
07-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Pocket Informant
eWallet
ListPro
GPRS Monitor
Resco Explorer 2003
Simple SMS
Palm Reader
Battery Pack 2003

pcause