View Full Version : Help - Need Computer Game Recommendations

GoldKey
06-20-2003, 07:39 PM
With all the technological advances in computer gaming over the years, I really feel left behind in that there are less and less games I enjoy playing. For example, with games going 3D, there aren't really any 2D side scrollers anymore. Personally most 3D games give me massive headaches if I play for more than a half hour. Some of our favorite games included Sonic the Hedgehod, Marble Madness, Star Control, All the Mario games before they went 3D, Super Mario Cart, and F-Zero racing. These games all offered great 2 player action. Also, my wife and I would enjoy playing PC games together. We really loved playing all the iterations of Kings Quest (the game was really more about thinking than coordination or anything else). Even though we have newer systems (currently, we have a PS2, N64, Sega Genesis, Nintendo (original), Intellevision, Atari 2600, Sega Game Gear, Game Boys, a Nintendo Virtual Boy, and an arcade size Mrs. Pac-Man), we mostly play the Sega.

So now that you know a little about what we like, can you recommend any newer games PS2/PC that we might like. We would especailly like games we can play together. For example, I like Warcraft, but not much for two players to do. I would especially like something like Kings Quest.

Thanks

aroma
06-20-2003, 08:23 PM
Ahhh.... Star Control.... now there was one SWEEEEEET game! :wink:

Mark Kenepp
06-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Oh those Sierra Adventure games :rock on dude!: , they were the best

Especially the ones that came out just before they went cartoony (Kings Quest VI, Leisure Suite Larry V and Space Quest V, I think).

It is a shame that those types of games are no longer made, or are they?

I have a Mac at home but I would love to own the Sierra Classic Collections.

Not to pry (and go off topic), but in your sig, shouldn't it read:

" :robot: We are Borg..."

I don't remember them using many articles. You would probably know better than I :wink:

Jason Dunn
06-20-2003, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure if there's too much detail in Neverwinter Nights for you, but in terms of multiplayer fun, it's off the charts - and there are over 1500 user-created modules, so the game literally has no ending.

smashcasi
06-20-2003, 09:36 PM
On that note, if you're into the roleplaying / fantasy type games at all most anything by Bioware is worth looking at. The Baldur's Gate series is excellent, with huge worlds to explore that are packed with detail and enough side quests to keep you busy for months. Personally I think Planescape: Torment is one of the best games I've ever played on the PC.

Lucasarts has done several games similar in play to the King's Quest series - Grim Fandango and Full Throttle come to mind.

The games I mentioned above are a few years old (though that means you can pick them up cheap!). If you want to steer clear of 3D, you're probably going to be hard-pressed to find something new. If you're willing to give it a try, pick up ICO for your PS2. There's a little action in a few places, but its emphasis is definitely on puzzle solving and it's up there in my top ten. Final Fantasy has also always been a favorite series of mine, but may have too much combat for your tastes.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head :)

Kati Compton
06-20-2003, 09:51 PM
I recommend Baldur's Gate II. It's a D&D roleplaying game that has a very intricate storyline. I haven't had the time to devote to playing it myself, but my husband is an addict, and has even created a new NPC that you can add to your party, and if your character is female, you can have a romance.

GoldKey
06-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Aroma - Agreed, IMHO, Star Control is probably the best game ever, "Launch Fighters". I actually bought a Genesis just for that game because I would go to a friends to play and get my but handed to me so I needed my own to practice.

Mark - Sierra games were our favorite. Two or more people could just sit around and watch and play together. More like a really interactive movie. I wish they would write a port of all there old games to run on newer computers. BTW, they say both "We are the borg" and "We are borg". We are the borg is more common though and sound better. I REALLY should know since I run the site www.wearetheborg.com.

Jason - How is the fighting system on Neverwinter and is there a lot of combat? I played part of Baulders Gate but did not like the combat. By multiplayer I was more thinking the way my wife and I would play Kings Quest, ie, two people just working on the same game (one "driving" and one helping to think). If there is to much of

Smash - gonna look at the Lucasarts games, only around $10 on Amazon. need to search around to see if they run on XP.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, keep em coming.

rberry88
06-20-2003, 10:39 PM
If you have two computers at home hooked to the internet you could play Everquest together. My wife and I play and it is quite fun to roam around, do the quests and just have fun doing what you want to do without having to follow a story line if you don't want to.

For the PS2, some fun games together are Baulders Gate, Silent Hill 2 (#3 comes out in August in the U.S. - already out in the U.K.), Resident Evil series, Drakan: The Ancient Gates, ICO, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and Jak & Daxter. All these games are not necessarily two-player games but they are quite fun with two people (one watching, one playing and switching back and forth).

These are just some that my wife puts up with otherwise she does not condone the playing of videogames, unless she is involved in the gameplay that is. :mrgreen:

rberry88 0X

Jacob
06-20-2003, 11:07 PM
The fighting system for Neverwinter Nights is very different from Baldur's gate (much worse IMO) - if you have multiple systems networked you could play maps and co-operate together.

Neverwinter Nights has a 3rd person 3-D view point kinda like GTA3 uses. I really didn't like the way it was done personally.

davidspalding
06-21-2003, 05:35 AM
Ah, nostalgia. Police Quest II. Forgetting to do a "right-side walkup," idling up the left side of a pullover like in Adam-12, and -- splat!. Ouch, oh, the shame.

Never finished, though I had some cheats. Never kept hte disks. I think. Left my 486/50 system back at an old job, oops, I coulda reinstalled DOS 6 and played the game again. Duh.

Rogue and Rescue on Fractalus and Koronis Rift on my Color Computer 3. =:)

I wish I had all my old computers around ... Heck, Police Quest woulda run on my little Compaq Aero 4/33C. Could play the game at cafes just for giggles.

Jason Dunn
06-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Jason - How is the fighting system on Neverwinter and is there a lot of combat?

Yes, there's a fair amount of combat. If you're looking for a pure puzzle game, this is not it. Perhaps Myst 2 or one of the newer games like it?

Jason Dunn
06-21-2003, 04:00 PM
The fighting system for Neverwinter Nights is very different from Baldur's gate (much worse IMO)

Really? How so? I sometimes wish it was more turn-based, like the old Gold Box D&D games, because when I'm playing a wizard by the time I get a few spells off, the fighters in the party have laid waste to everything. :-)

Jacob
06-21-2003, 06:12 PM
The fighting system for Neverwinter Nights is very different from Baldur's gate (much worse IMO)

Really? How so? I sometimes wish it was more turn-based, like the old Gold Box D&D games, because when I'm playing a wizard by the time I get a few spells off, the fighters in the party have laid waste to everything. :-)

In Baldur's Gate you can make it turn based - which is what I liked, you can pause and set all your party to do what you want.

In Neverwinter nights you can't control your part - people get in the way of me shooting arrows.

The view is really annoying. You couldn't get the view parallel to the ground enough - arrows/spells had a range longer than you could actually see.

My friends and I played a number of maps people made and it was just impossible to get coordinated - no real story in most of them.

GoldKey
06-22-2003, 12:02 AM
Yes, there's a fair amount of combat. If you're looking for a pure puzzle game, this is not it. Perhaps Myst 2 or one of the newer games like it?

Looks like there is even a Myst III for PS2. Any other games like it that you might know by name?

Jacob
06-22-2003, 12:22 AM
I heard of a game "Syberia" that I heard was pretty good - it came out a while ago.

GoldKey
06-28-2003, 02:50 AM
Well I picked up two games and we will try them out.

Ico for PS2 - Does look like a Kings Quest type game (only $16 used)

Star Trek: Armada - Looked sort of like Star Control meets StarCraft ($6 new at Target in the Clearance area)

Thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming.

KidKomputer
06-28-2003, 07:32 AM
The best adventure game I have played in about the last 2 years was The Longest Journey http://www.longestjourney.com/