View Full Version : 5455 - problem with battery not charging

Trimble
06-20-2003, 06:40 PM
I've been having a problem with my iPaq. This happened once on the second day after I aquired the device, and then stopped happening, but it's been happening a lot more since I upgraded to 1.11.

When I put my device in the cradle, it just won't charge. The amber light does not flash, the power screen in control panel doesn't show it charging, and the backlight shuts off with usual "on battery power" timing.

Activesync is connecting just fine, and it's using USB, but even if I go in and set USB charging to ON, it still will not charge.

Now and then, it will suddenly decide to start charging. I don't know what's triggering it, but after a while, it decides to start charging, and the amber light begins to flash.

I know there was a some sort of service pack relating to the battery that I installed when I first had the problem, and somewhere it was mentioned to fiddle with the standby settings and then set it back, and then load the patch.. that seems to have worked before, but this time I can't seem to get anything to resolve this.

ChristopherTD
06-21-2003, 06:33 AM
This has happened to me a couple of times. A few things have been suggested that might help.

The simplest is to disconnect the AC Adapter from the wall, replug it and then reconnect the iPAQ.

The second would be to pop out the battery from the iPaq, wait a few seconds and then reinsert the battery. But don't pop the battery unless you have a recent backup as very, very occasionally it can cause a hard reset...

Hopefully a future SoftPaq (or PPC2003) will take care of these gremlins.

Jerry Raia
06-21-2003, 06:56 AM
I have the same problem and its almost always solved by a couple of soft resets or the battery removal trick. What a pain.

Server
06-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Battery/Charger Recalibration after applying new ROM:

Open the standby tab and move the slider
completely to one side and then the other
and reboot.

Jerry Raia
06-21-2003, 05:32 PM
I just tried that. I'll let ya know. :)

Chris Spera
06-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Battery/Charger Recalibration after applying new ROM:

Open the standby tab and move the slider
completely to one side and then the other
and reboot.

This doesn't seemed to have worked for me...

I've been griping about this problem since I installed the new ROM. This is a HUGE problem. I hope HP is watching, because this needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Server
06-22-2003, 01:43 PM
I replied to you poll before reading this thread.

This was a problem for me initially which I did not
understand. If you tried the standby trick with no
success, then try pulling the plug from your cradle
and softreset your ipaq and try charging again.

After my upgrade, I would notice that the charge
would not occur immediately and even the the orange
light would not flash but I could go into the battery tab and
see that it was indeed being charged. I suspect some
changes were made with how the unit now trickle charges
(almost like fuzzy logic) where it 'knows' when to start charging.
I highly doubt any battery today plugin would cause
any of these problems.

Jerry Raia
06-23-2003, 05:38 AM
Well, its only been a couple of days, but so far the Standby slider trick seems to have worked for me. Ill update if that changes.

Jerry Raia
06-26-2003, 04:11 AM
Still working :mrgreen:

Jerry Raia
06-26-2003, 09:14 PM
It stopped working :evil: ! Had to do the slider/reset routine again :!: