View Full Version : Do You Own a Pocket PC?

Jason Dunn
06-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Simple question, simple survey. :-)

Foo Fighter
06-19-2003, 05:03 PM
You should have an option for dual platform users. :wink:

targetdrone
06-19-2003, 05:03 PM
I answered yes, but you should have had a checkbox for both. I have an Axim and a Casio E-100 (WinCE 2.11).

Skoobouy
06-19-2003, 05:08 PM
I sold my Jornada to Fishie. :) Now I'm caught between a Zire 71 and an iPaq 194x.

Jason Dunn
06-19-2003, 05:24 PM

That's not a factor - I just want to know if you own a Pocket PC, period. If you do, you select that option.

Kaber
06-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Dual (http://mysite.verizon.net/res02afy/darthipaq.jpg) iPAQs (http://mysite.verizon.net/res02afy/darthipaq2.jpg) of FURY!

ipaq38vette
06-19-2003, 05:31 PM
I voted yes, but there should be 'not currently, but within the next month'.
Bringing back the random surveys, I see. I like those.

Crystal Eitle
06-19-2003, 05:31 PM
Why do you ask?

Fishie
06-19-2003, 05:34 PM
I sold my Jornada to Fishie. :) Now I'm caught between a Zire 71 and an iPaq 194x.

Hehehe yeah, thanks dude, the person it was for is really happy whith it.
Id suggest you go for the Ipaq 2200 tough.

Jason Dunn
06-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Why do you ask?

Some of Microsoft's advertising campaigns are aimed at potential buyers. The assumption is that at a site like Pocket PC Thoughts, we're all Pocket PC owners, but I wanted to test that assumption to see if we would be an appropriate advertising venue for Microsoft's or not.

droppedd
06-19-2003, 06:22 PM
i have a b&w clie, the t415 - it's even thinner than the Visor Edge was... I want to upgrade; i woulda had an axim already but they're too damn big - like bricks next to my clie. And now that Toshiba e335s are in my range, I figure I may as well wait for PPC2003... and then for a price drop on the e355.....

damn being a poor college student and having to budget stuff out :? .

dorelse
06-19-2003, 06:24 PM
Currently a Tungsten|C owner. Have had mulitple PPC's in the past (Jornada 525, 548, 569, iPaq 3650, iPaq 1910, Toshiba Genio, Audiovox Maestro, Dell Axim).

I had 2 basic, and critical issues with the PPC...my alarms didn't always go off when the PPC was off...and that's critical when its your alarm clock. And Pocket Word support.

I LOVED my iPaq 1910...loved it loved it. The T|C with its hi-res screen, and built in Wi-Fi with a good battery has turned out to be the ticket. I'm finding myself really liking the thumboard...never thought I would.

I'll check out the new 19xx's in a couple weeks, but until PocketWord support gets better, I can't be a PPC user...even though I prefer the platform.

RKosin
06-19-2003, 06:33 PM
Yes, it has been a technological march 35xx, 3850, 3950 but nice to known that one is not walking alone :?

JvanEkris
06-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Some of Microsoft's advertising campaigns are aimed at potential buyers. The assumption is that at a site like Pocket PC Thoughts, we're all Pocket PC owners, but I wanted to test that assumption to see if we would be an appropriate advertising venue for Microsoft's or not.Microsoft never considered that i buy a new one every year???????

Jaap

Jason Dunn
06-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Microsoft never considered that i buy a new one every year???????

Hmm - I guess not. :lol: You're either in the "customer" bucket or the "not a customer yet" bucket.

jpaq
06-19-2003, 07:06 PM
Why do you ask?

Some of Microsoft's advertising campaigns are aimed at potential buyers. The assumption is that at a site like Pocket PC Thoughts, we're all Pocket PC owners, but I wanted to test that assumption to see if we would be an appropriate advertising venue for Microsoft's or not.

Jason,

If that's the point, then you might have asked:

"Do you plan to buy a PDA in the near future?"

Now, all of us would say yes to that and Microsoft might be more inclined to spend $$ advertising with you!!!!

GoldKey
06-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Microsoft never considered that i buy a new one every year???????

Hmm - I guess not. :lol: You're either in the "customer" bucket or the "not a customer yet" bucket.

Maybe asking some questions to see how many different PPC's you have owned might let you provide info to Microsoft about why people that already own PPC's are still PPC customers. I wonder how many PPC sales are to individuals who have already owned one or more PPCs.

dbrahms
06-19-2003, 07:52 PM
this needs to be asked on a general PDA page..not a PPC focus page. What if this was asked on palmthoughts.com biased results

ucfgrad93
06-19-2003, 08:14 PM

I agree. I own a hp1910 and my wife owns a Sony T-665

daS
06-19-2003, 08:20 PM
this needs to be asked on a general PDA page..not a PPC focus page. What if this was asked on palmthoughts.com biased results

Did you read why Jason is asking the question?

This was not intended to be a scientific survey of the general public. He wanted to find out if there were people who come to Pocket PC Thoughts that don't own a Pocket PC. That is: potential new customers for Microsoft.

For those that say that it should include the people that already own a Pocket PC and may purchase a new one in the future: That is a different target for a marketing department. The effort with us is "customer retention" vs. customer attraction. Different focus for ads.

scottmag
06-19-2003, 08:32 PM
... I wanted to test that assumption to see if we would be an appropriate advertising venue for Microsoft's or not.

I'll tell you why I don't think so, and you can accept it or not.

I come here to learn about PocketPCs to make an informed decision before buying my next device. (I've almost taken the plunge and gotten an Axim twice but didn't commit.) The reason this site won't appeal to non-PPC users - the potential purchasers and target audience of such a promotional campaign - is that contrary viewpoints are treated harshly here. You personally tell posters praising anything Palm does to go away. You've publicly and privately berated me for challenging pro-PPC spin by Ed. If you want to create a PocketPC lovefest with no dissension then that's your choice. I'd personally rather read some honest commentary and criticism, but I doubt many here share my opinion. Just a thought.

Scott

surur
06-19-2003, 08:49 PM
Do you own any sort of Pocket PC?
Yes, I own a Pocket PC of some sort
95% [ 460 ]
No, I own a Palm or other PDA, or no PDA at all
4% [ 20 ]

Total Votes : 480

This kinds of proves my population statistics classes. In most healthy biological systems the top and bottom 2.5% is automatically considered abnormal. What the 5% of people who dont have pocketpc's are doing at pocketpcthoughts I dont know, but they certainly not "normal" :silly:

Surur :)

IpaqMan2
06-19-2003, 09:09 PM
I sold my iPaq a while ago, right after PPCs were comming out with the 400 mhz processors. I was disappointed to learn that the OS wasn't optimized to take advantaged of the full speed of the CPU and that my 206 mhz PPC in some ways actually tested faster than the new higher speed PPCs.

I have also been waiting for something new to happen in the PPC world to dazzel me and woh me back over to have a "must have" PPC. A built in Keyboard like the newer Zaurus or even like the Clies, a higher resolution screen, Pocket Word and the other apps to end the crippleware and have better functionalitiy with MS Office, so it is at least on the same playing ground where Palm is in this area, A built in camera, for PPC to have Landscape mode built into the OS, and probably for OEMs to be Bold enough to break the SAME DESIGN that everyone else in the PPC camp has and try new designs... Not like it was in the early days of Palm PCs and some other PPCs, but newer functional and attractive designs to seperate them just enough from other OEMs.

Though these are just my 2 cents worth... So until than I will just stick with Clie.

IpaqMan2
06-19-2003, 09:19 PM
95% [ 460 ]
4% [ 20 ]

Total Votes : 480

This kinds of proves my population statistics classes. In most healthy biological systems the top and bottom 2.5% is automatically considered abnormal. What the 5% of people who dont have pocketpc's are doing at pocketpcthoughts I dont know, but they certainly not "normal" :silly:

Surur :)

Ummm... No.. This proves nothing.
If anthing this proves this is a Website for PPC users and not Palms, and people with PPCs come here to view this site. If it were Posted in the USA Today newspaper, well, than maybe...

And the small percentage of people who do come here who do not have a PPC probably did at one time, or are looking to buy one, or just may be curious. Boy, what a thought.

Mitch D
06-19-2003, 10:05 PM
I think after it's all said and done we have forgotten one major thing, this is Microsoft we are talking about and not everything they do makes alot of sense. Look at Windows ME for example! :wink:

Janak Parekh
06-19-2003, 10:37 PM
I'd personally rather read some honest commentary and criticism, but I doubt many here share my opinion. Just a thought.
I'm sorry, I disagree with you here. There are flamewars here where we do have to put the brakes on, but overall we are VERY tolerant of opinions. Just recently, Jason highlighted a thread about people leaving the Pocket PC platform on the front page, with a VERY civilized discussion. In my opinion, I've seen much worse on PIC and other forums. ;)

That said, in my problem, the challenge with this poll is that I'm not sure guests will vote, and we might get a skewed view from that perspective.

--janak

Kaber
06-19-2003, 11:07 PM
This site is a Pocket PC lovefest. And it has sponsors. Feel the love.

Its a gated community.

Just answer the question, citizen. :twisted:

Unreal32
06-20-2003, 04:26 AM
I *used* to own 2 PPC's concurrently. Now I'm a happy Palm Tungsten C user. :)

theone3
06-20-2003, 09:18 AM
95% [ 768 ]
4% [ 40 ]

Total Votes : 808

Guys.. you need to do your math

95+4 = 99

soo... 99% of all the people who voted voted? :lol:

last week I would have voted no.. but my audiovox just arrived :D

Ratel10mm
06-20-2003, 02:40 PM
I currently own a Palm V (great for travel & formal occasions - very discreet. Readthemall is the best reader I've used, bar none.), a Casio E-11, and a Jornada 430, which is my day to day PDA.
I am looking to upgrade, but I too think that the current PPC PDA's are looking dated next to Palm based machines. An integrated camera would be highly useful to me in the field. I need better spreadsheet integration than PocketExcel provides. I use SpreadCE in my Jornada, and I hope that a version for PPC exists - this will have a major affect on my purchasing descision.

Janak Parekh
06-20-2003, 04:48 PM
soo... 99% of all the people who voted voted? :lol:
Rounding error. ~ 95.04% said yes, and ~ 4.95% said no, but phpBB seems to always calculate the floor of the percent.

--janak

theone3
06-22-2003, 01:25 AM
I currently own a Palm V (great for travel & formal occasions - very discreet. Readthemall is the best reader I've used, bar none.), a Casio E-11, and a Jornada 430, which is my day to day PDA.
I am looking to upgrade, but I too think that the current PPC PDA's are looking dated next to Palm based machines. An integrated camera would be highly useful to me in the field. I need better spreadsheet integration than PocketExcel provides. I use SpreadCE in my Jornada, and I hope that a version for PPC exists - this will have a major affect on my purchasing descision.You could probably sell all of your PDAs on ebay for the price of a 2nd hand nr70v

maximus
06-23-2003, 07:05 AM
This site is a Pocket PC lovefest. And it has sponsors. Feel the love.

Its a gated community.

Just answer the question, citizen.

You forgot to add .. "This is your god speaking". :D

Janak's statement is nicely put though "There has been a lot of flamewars" .... and we stomped them all. :D I think we should add a "quote" section on this site. The place where we can put our favourite quote.

Eitel
06-23-2003, 02:28 PM
I'm PDA-less right now. Bought a new car and al the money is going to it. Maybe in 3 more months I will be able to get another PPC.

Anyone wants to lend me one in the meantime? :roll: :wink: