View Full Version : Will ubiquitous use of miniture cameras reduce deviant behavior?

Cortex
06-18-2003, 03:29 AM
Just some thoughts about having cameras in everything...

With miniturization of cameras and their widespread implemention into phones, human behavior will be altered and a means to create a more accurate record of history will be available.

One impact will be on crime since negative social interactions can be easily documented. However, techniques to alter images will erode the validity of this form of information.

A fundamental problem with all data collection is how to store, filter and deliver the content.

What percentage of current human endevour is longlasting?

Jacob
06-18-2003, 04:32 AM
I think the amount of pictures that are taken by these cameras that isn't lost will be relatively few, so I don't think this will lead to any more accurate of a history.

I don't think it'll reduce deviant behavior... it might make deviants slightly easier to catch though.

Kati Compton
06-18-2003, 04:43 AM
I think there's enough exhibitionists out there already without the cameras...

If "deviant" behavior decreases, paranoia will increase to fill the gap...

TawnerX
06-18-2003, 05:03 AM
I like to watch.

maximus
06-18-2003, 06:49 AM
I think it depends on the location of the camera.
If the location is obvious, then it will affect people's behavior.

thomas1973
06-18-2003, 09:14 AM
Just some thoughts about having cameras in everything...

With miniturization of cameras and their widespread implemention into phones, human behavior will be altered and a means to create a more accurate record of history will be available.

One impact will be on crime since negative social interactions can be easily documented. However, techniques to alter images will erode the validity of this form of information.

A fundamental problem with all data collection is how to store, filter and deliver the content.

What percentage of current human endevour is longlasting?
In Norway they've actually found new ways to make crimes - as teen kids take their mobile camera phones with them to the showers at gym class, and use them to send/post embarrasing pictures of classmates. Camera cell phones have actally been banned in several schools and institutions already... :(

So I guess 'total' deviant human behaviour is a constant factor :D

Thomas.

targetdrone
06-18-2003, 10:52 AM
In Fresno, CA the city had already installed the maximum number of traffic cameras allowed by law and couldn't get a waiver/exemption to install more. Their solution? Fake cameras. Guess which ones???

People with cameras aren't common enough yet to be a proper deterent to crime.