View Full Version : DRM gone mad

disconnected
06-17-2003, 04:43 AM
I got an email from Aardman studios advertising ten very short Wallace and Gromit features for 10.00. I thought it would be fun to have a couple of them on my PPC (preferably one with Feathers McGraw in it), but then I read the licensing agreement. :evil:

http://store.yahoo.com/buy-atomfilms/terms-wallace-gromit.html

(It was too long to copy, which gives you some idea).

davidspalding
06-17-2003, 04:52 AM
Which part bothered you, or just the whole damn thing?

kidA
06-17-2003, 07:17 AM
much as i love wallace and gromit (and i do, just ask my wife), i just have to say phbthbthpbthbpthbththbpbthpbht! to this. that is ridiculous. couldn't they just let you download a file onto your hardrive then burn it onto a CD ROM, then it could automatically erase itself, whatever, as long as i could take the content i frackin purchased anywhere i wanted to view it on a TV, computer, or whatever i want to view it on. i understand the whole rights protection thing. i'm totally against P2P like kazaa, but why make buying media on the PC more restrictive than say, going to the store and buying a DVD? at least i can take the DVD to my friend's house and watch it over there... :evil:

disconnected
06-17-2003, 03:57 PM
I'm not opposed to all DRM, but this is really bad.

Not only can you not play your CD or DVD at a friend's house, but you can only ever play the clips on three computers, and you have to own those three computers right now -- each one needs a license, and all licenses must be activated within the next TWO WEEKS!

If I had a DVD recorder it might be worth trying to copy the clips to DVD and then using a DVD ripper.

Crystal Eitle
06-17-2003, 04:09 PM
That sucks!

I am against pirating, but when companies place such outrageous restrictions on content, they are practically asking for it.

I am of the school of thought that says "I bought it - I OWN it!"

I agree with Steve Jobs: "Stop treating consumers like criminals."

If you treat someone like a criminal, they are going to act like a criminal. People generally live up (or down) to others' expectations of them.

(Sorry for the choppy writing style. I am totally buzzed on coffee right now. :morning: )

Janak Parekh
06-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Which part bothered you, or just the whole damn thing?
The fact that after June 30, you can't get licenses, you can't redownload, nothing. That's the fundamental problem with most of these unlock-style DRM technologies: how do you know the company will still be there (or interested) 5 years from now?

--janak