View Full Version : All Quiet Before the Storm

Enderet
06-17-2003, 03:30 AM
After having been around in these forums for more than a month...it seems to me like things are dying down. This brought to mind the title of the thread. :) Its only a couple of more days until all the new Pocket PCs flood into online retailers and large electronics stores nation wide and it seems to me like most of the Pocket PC sites have died down in anticipation for this upcoming major event(or so it is to me). Even the BrightHand forums which seem to be active all day are quiet. Just last week the new Ipaq forum section was buzzling with dozens of posts and in the past 4 days there have only been but a handful.
I hope this is a good sign of things to come. While you see a lot of people saying that PPC 2003 brings no big changes and is quite dissapointing, I have my hopes up. I remember in a reply to some thread Jason seemed to imply that we are going to be pleased with 2003. Hopefuly this upcoming 23, we will all be blown away by 2003 and will be pleased with all of our new toys:) :rock on dude!:

Crystal Eitle
06-17-2003, 03:42 AM
I totally agree. It seems like the news has been slow for the past week or so - even from the perspective of receiving submissions. It seems like the whole Pocket PC world is holding its breath in anticipation of June 23rd.

Tracy Daubenspeck
06-17-2003, 04:12 AM
Or it could be summer!!!! I have been so busy doing honey-dos and outside projects that I don't have much time to surf or play in general.

Jason Dunn
06-17-2003, 04:46 AM
I remember in a reply to some thread Jason seemed to imply that we are going to be pleased with 2003. Hopefuly this upcoming 23, we will all be blown away by 2003 and will be pleased with all of our new toys:) :rock on dude!:

Let's just say that if an OEM offers me an upgrade for $30 or $40, I'll do it in a heartbeat. If the hardware on the new devices was EXACTLY the same as the current hardware, and that was the ONLY way you could getit, it would be a harder choice. Luckily, the new Pocket PC 2003 hardware is shaping up to be pretty good (much more wireless). So the question is really:

1) Will there be enough improvements to be worth the $30 (or whatever it will cost) if my OEM offers an upgrade? You bet.

2) Will the combination of Pocket PC 2003 hardware and software be better than what came before it? You bet.

As long as your OEM offers an upgrade, the choice is win/win either way.

Anthony Caruana
06-17-2003, 05:01 AM
Interestingly though, I just spoke to our company's Dell representative to order myself an X5 and when i asked him if nay new hardware was coming he was pretty definite in saying no (I am in Australia).

However, he may have been trying dump excess stock of the current product. I got a pretty good price on the X5 Advanced with wireless NIC, screen protectors, leather case.

Can't wait to get my new Pocket PC as I sold my iPAQ on eBay and am currently sans PocketPC :(

Given that the X5 Advanced has the 400 MHz CPU and 64 MB RAM and 48 MB ROM I hope to upgrade to PPC2003 as soon as it is avaialble.

TawnerX
06-17-2003, 05:04 PM
After having been around in these forums for more than a month...it seems to me like things are dying down. This brought to mind the title of the thread. :)

It's final exam weeks. in the early days of internet, 60-80% of the net population will be gone in summer after reaching peak around late spring.