View Full Version : Do You Pay For WiFi?

Brad Adrian
06-17-2003, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.boingo.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.boingo.com/</a><br /><br /></div>I just got another press release from Boingo announcing that their WiFi service is now available at LaGuardia Airport. It seems as though they're always announcing the addition of some airport, restaurant or hotel hotspot, so it really didn't get me too excited.<br /><br />I've used their service before, mostly while spending a few lonely late-night hours stranded in an airport. I've also used similar services from other providers, but it's always been for a single day or a few hours while on the road. I've never had a lengthy subscription to any kind of WiFi hotspot services.<br /><br />So, it struck me...Who actually DOES buy WiFi programs like those from Boingo or T-Mobile? And, what are the criteria that make people want to use or not use subscription-based WiFi?

PR.
06-17-2003, 11:53 AM
The pole needs another option.

"I live in the UK and the only WiFi access point I have encountered is the one I set up in my house" :(

TopDog
06-17-2003, 11:55 AM
You forgot one important poll-choice:

No, I have a WiFi-enabled device, but only use it at home!

There just aren't many WiFi-spots here in Norway, and the prices are insane :-(

TopDog
06-17-2003, 11:56 AM
"I live in the UK and the only WiFi access point I have encountered is the one I set up in my house" :(You beat me to it :lol:

MultiMatt
06-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Just like TopDog said, I use my 5455 on my home connection more than anywhere else. Despite heavy travel for my job, HotSpots never seem to be available when I need it! :roll:
Personally, I am waiting until the SDIO WiFi cards come out (hopefully August), and then I am going to entertain a Samsung i700 with Verizon. I want a connection wherever I am at, whenever I want. I anticipate using the Express Network 90% of the time, and WiFi the balance of the time, and only because of availability....

At this point, HotSpots can be compared to phone booths of yesteryear: "Hey! I can get a connection right down the street here! Stop at that Starbucks!"
How inconvenient....

Matt

GoldKey
06-17-2003, 12:39 PM
I would suggest another option. The city of Tallahassee, FL has had free wireless access in the downtown area for a little over a year now. There are talks about making it a pay service, but for now it is still free. Perhaps this is unique to Tallahassee. Anyway, my survey answer would be that I use it often, but don't pay. You can read about the Tallahassee Digital Canopy here http://www.digitalcanopy.com/main_flash.html

EDIT: I want to clarify, the free service I am talking about it no just using someones unsecured AP. This is an actual free service that is free to the public to use.

Howard2k
06-17-2003, 12:48 PM
Ditto Toronto. Plenty of free wifi in downtown right now.

I used to catch the train from Bedford. Not surprised there are no wifi hotspots :)

btw, have you guys seen this link:

http://intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/hotspots/finder.htm

Mike Temporale
06-17-2003, 12:52 PM
There are a couple pay services around Toronto and I've played with them a little. Ultimatly, I would much rather sit here on the 7th floor, and connect to one of the 2 unsecured WiFi signals that are floating into our building.

Bell Canada has setup a free hotspot in Union station, which I use to check email one last time before getting on the train. And during my train ride home, there are 3 unsecured networks (at various stops). So getting connected is no problem. Why would I pay?

Of course, all I need now is a new PPC with WiFi so I don't have to keep unloading my laptop.

Mike Temporale
06-17-2003, 12:55 PM
Ditto Toronto. Plenty of free wifi in downtown right now.

I used to catch the train from Bedford. Not surprised there are no wifi hotspots :)

btw, have you guys seen this link:

http://intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/hotspots/finder.htm

if your in the GTA I recommend this link:

http://wirelessbandit.nerdsunderglass.com/

extremely well documented hotspots

scottmag
06-17-2003, 01:21 PM
The same type of responses come up in every thread on this topic. These pay services are NOT for you to go down the street from your home or office to use. Of course you wouldn't pay these fees for that "convenience." They are for people that travel and want to have a high-speed Internet connection option. Some business travelers will pay for the Starbucks monthly plan because they KNOW they can find a Starbucks when they need one. Yes, I know there are plenty of free, or unsecured, networks you can hop on to. But if getting connected is critical and you are on the road then you want to know that you have a place to get connected. The prices need to come down significantly to get the general public interested. For now they are priced like airlines' business fares because they target the same clientele.

Scott

dhpss
06-17-2003, 01:31 PM
My option is not in the poll:
. I do have a WiFi capable PocketPC: Toshiba e750 but I do not use it at the HotSpot and here is why:

1-I gave it a try at Starbucks with the T-Mobile promo 1 day free pass. It was a hassle, after you turn on the WiFi and go to IE, multiple screens asking several inputs at a very slow pace of refreshing...I gave it up. (On my Laptop it would be certainly more convenient...), So I'll wait until it is "instant-on" like the cell phone.

2-I am using a very affordable 3G solution with SprintPCS. I have the small retractable USB cable to connect my Laptop to my phone Samsung A500 and voila online anywhere, unlimited surfing at 114-230Mbs. It is amazing, there is no need to dial the phone, the free Sprint connection manager just detects and GO....I have an USB port on my Toshiba e750, but I don't have the driver and Sprint connection manager software..Anybody knows how to get them. Let me know...

Howard2k
06-17-2003, 01:48 PM
Actually that would be 2.5G ;)

jpaq
06-17-2003, 01:52 PM
I think the wifi providers are missing the boat.

Make is free and run your ads through it. Run any ads through it. Similar to the BlueLight and Juno Free internet services, make it free but create an ad bar. Granted, they would have to get creative on creating the ad bar for smaller devices, but it could be done.

Another solution is to provide it free, only after the user signs in with relevant market research info. Sell their info to other services that the user has interest in.

I think the public is getting $10 and $20 a monthed to death.
It used to be that we had phone bills.
Then came phone and cable bills.
Now we have phone, cable, and internet access bills.
Who doesn't have a Cell phone? That's another $50 a month.
Then XM and Sirius want another $10 a month for satellite radio.
Now Tivo wants $X a month to enhance your TV viewing experience.
Then T-Mobile and other Wifi providers want $X for WiFi access.

I am tired of having my paycheck chipped away bay another subscription every month....

There are other ways to make money and provide a service.

TECHIUM
06-17-2003, 02:25 PM
I agree with the theme of these last few posts. There is no need in most major cities/suburban areas to purchase a subscription based wifi service. If you can't find an unsecured or easily accessed hot spot, then hook up with your cell phone. If you can't find a serial/usb/ir/bluetooth connection for your PDA ala Sprint PCS, then switch to TMobile/Verizon/ATT/Cingular, etc. Each of those companies offers some data rate plan that would satisify most light browsing/email needs. If you're into a little more "heavy" wireless use, like Citrix, TS/RD, VNC, VPN, MS Portrait, Pocket Warrior, Airscanner Mobile Sniffer, FTP, SQL, ActiveSync, AIM, MSN Messenger, Avant Go, Mazingo, Streaming Audio/Video, etc... then I'm sure those individuals have the capabilities to find or engineer access when and where they need it. Everyone else probably lives in a rural area where wide wifi coverage is a near imposibility, or is a suburbanite without the knowledge to "borrow" bandwidth. Just my 2 cents :)

fmcpherson
06-17-2003, 02:35 PM
I may be willing to pay $10/mo for unlimited WiFI access if it is available in areas that I frequent. Right now WiFI hotspots are really optimized for notebooks, and I think they very valuable to those who travel frequently. For instance, with my PowerBook and hotspots service in an airport terminal, I could simply turn my notebook on, connect up to the service and start working at full speed and comfort.

ale_ers
06-17-2003, 02:38 PM
I use a T-moblie Hotspot when I can't find any free ones. I could always connect through the hotel dial up...but once you have gone high speed it is hard to go back.

Usually with a little searching you can find a free hotspot, but when you need it, it is nice to know there is a starbucks around the corner and it will only cost $6 for your email and some quick surfing. (I use the pay as you go).

idomolau
06-17-2003, 02:57 PM
I agree that the wifi service should be FREE. I also live in Toronto, but pay as you go will never in my plan. Travelling around in downtown Toronto will have many unsecure hotspot and previous users also mentioned some good websites that can use wireless connection for free in Toronto. Cheers! Wifi connection should be free! :lol:

Pony99CA
06-17-2003, 03:22 PM
I'm surprised so many people seem to be admitting criminal activity. While detecting WiFi access points isn't a crime, using one that isn't intended for public use likely is.

I don't want to rehash this here, though; if you want to comment, please go to what PetiteFlower called the never-ending thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8867). :-)

Steve

idomolau
06-17-2003, 03:33 PM
By the way, what I mean is not stolen the connection from uncsecure AP, I mean you have many free hotspot service in Toronto, e.g. Lone Star...

disconnected
06-17-2003, 03:50 PM
I chose rarely (tried a TMobile hotspot once).

I have an iPAQ 3975, which means a sleeve for WiFi; I mostly just use it at home. My next PPC will have it built in (either the WiFi or a CF slot), so I might use it more frequently, either near home or while travelling. The only hotspot I know of where I live (Kansas City) is a new TMobile one at a Border's. I'd probably be willing to pay 10.00 a month for unlimited access, but otherwise I'd only use it very occasionally. I'm still waiting for Sprint's bluetooth phone; the cable method is really klutzy.

powder2000
06-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Ya, I have a wifi enabled device I use at work and home but don't pay. Where's this option. :?: :?:

Pony99CA
06-17-2003, 04:34 PM
Ya, I have a wifi enabled device I use at work and home but don't pay. Where's this option. :?: :?:
The poll is about fee-based services, so your answer would be "Never. I don't have a WiFi device, it's too expensive, or I just don't have the need." There's your option.

Steve

Tierran
06-17-2003, 05:08 PM
I still think an option solely for those of us who use WiFi regurally for free would have been nice as a comparison. I use WiFi on campus at UF for free...but if there were any Starbucks around me with a hotspot...I'd so be there. Mmmm, Starbucks...

S0ylentK
06-17-2003, 05:47 PM
When I’m out I use my GPRS connection, when I get home I switch to my wireless network, so as you can guess I have no qualms about being irradiated. so if I’m stuck in a place with no coverage would I pay to use the WiFi?
Not on your nelly, its probably why I’m in there in the first place.
:twisted:

Jason Dunn
06-17-2003, 06:07 PM
"I live in the UK and the only WiFi access point I have encountered is the one I set up in my house" :(

Ditto for Canada! I've never encountered a pay-for-access service in Calgary...I use WiFi at my house, and other locations where I've set up an AP.

Kaber
06-17-2003, 06:09 PM
We know the poll is about FEE based services. But we also want to get the word out about the proliferation of FREE community services also.

Which I won't bring up again... for real this time.

Mike Temporale
06-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Ditto for Canada! I've never encountered a pay-for-access service in Calgary...I use WiFi at my house, and other locations where I've set up an AP.

Calgary maybe not. However, there are a couple of them here in Toronto. Spotnik (http://www.spotnikmobile.com) seems to be the biggest right now.

Fzara
06-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Any good WiFi spots around Boston, MA? I'm currently up in Boston 'till Thursday, and the only place i'm currently connected to the net is at the hotel, for $10/day. Ouch.

disconnected
06-17-2003, 10:32 PM
I haven't tried this (never found the time while in Boston), but I've read about it --

http://www.newburyopen.net/

It's free!

Kaber
06-17-2003, 11:15 PM
WiFi spots in MA (http://www.ezgoal.com/hotspots/wireless/list.asp?points=MA&state=Massachusetts)

David C
06-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Well, I love the wifi at my school. I have a Symbol CF card that works both in my laptop and my pocket PC. It's fast, and it's free. Most of all, it's there where I needed it the most. Other then that, yeah, I do have wifi at home. The wireless router only cost like $50 and it works great.

I tried it once at Starbucks with the one day free pass, but I have never found a reason to paid for it. I don't see why they should charge so much for something that can be done so easily. I rather use my slower Sprint CF card when I really need the access for a cheaper rate.

Fzara
06-20-2003, 06:28 AM
WiFi spots in MA (http://www.ezgoal.com/hotspots/wireless/list.asp?points=MA&state=Massachusetts)

*shoots himself with a gun with rubber batons* for not visiting Newbury Street, getting the WiFi access, and finding more hotspots.