View Full Version : STARTING SEVERAL APPS AT ONCE

goirish!!
06-16-2003, 10:27 PM
Every morning I attend a scheduling meeting and find that I open the same four programs on my Ax so I've got all information at my finger tips. Is there a programmer out there who is willing to come up with a single short cut that you could assign serval apps to open with a single tap of the icon.

Any ideas???

rhmorrison
06-16-2003, 11:27 PM
You could do a quick and dirty in a couple of minutes just create registry entries under \Software\MultiApp\Programs\...

With one key per application

Then write a program that when started scans the registry for all entries and calls CreateProcess for each of the programs listed.

You can use the FREEWARE PHM Registry Editor to change the registry entries so the run program can be very simple indeed.

By the way - "I'm a rambling wreck from Ga Tech and a hell of an Engineer" - boy did we whip your butts in 1976 Homecoming game!

For those of you too young to know at that time GA TECH had two very long running records:
GA TECH had NEVER lost a homecoming game, and
GA TECH had not beaten Notra Dame in over 50 years

NOW you know which record was broken and which record wasn't...

goirish!!
06-17-2003, 02:21 AM
You could do a quick and dirty in a couple of minutes just create registry entries under \Software\MultiApp\Programs\...

With one key per application

Then write a program that when started scans the registry for all entries and calls CreateProcess for each of the programs listed.

You can use the FREEWARE PHM Registry Editor to change the registry entries so the run program can be very simple indeed.

By the way - "I'm a rambling wreck from Ga Tech and a hell of an Engineer" - boy did we whip your butts in 1976 Homecoming game!

For those of you too young to know at that time GA TECH had two very long running records:
GA TECH had NEVER lost a homecoming game, and
GA TECH had not beaten Notra Dame in over 50 years

NOW you know which record was broken and which record wasn't...

Well, unfortunately programming is not my bag. I'm strictly a "user". I wish I could write a simple app as you suggested. Alas I must rely on the skills and talent of others in the field.

Oh, I guess it strikes me as ironic speaking of skills and talent to a G Tech fan. I do agree, G Tech did beat Notre Dame 26 years ago. If no one has congratulated you on that big win let me be the first, "Gooooo Tech!" Of course the next year ND overcame this traumatic loss to win yet another of their 11 National Titles. I bet they're still talking about that come back trail on campus today. I believe every team, with the exception of one, who has ever had a series with ND has at least one win. But overall the win/loss still favors the IRISH!!!! :rock on dude!:

blusparkles
06-17-2003, 02:30 AM
You could try Vito Button Mapper (http://www.vito-tech.com/products/product_32.html)'s macro function to do this. I haven't tried this myself, but they have a 14-day trial for you to give it a go ..

goirish!!
06-17-2003, 10:13 AM
You could try Vito Button Mapper (http://www.vito-tech.com/products/product_32.html)'s macro function to do this. I haven't tried this myself, but they have a 14-day trial for you to give it a go ..

What I would really like to see is the ability to tap a single ion on the tdy screen and have multiple app launch. ex: Tap icon; Calc, Excel, Repligo, List Pro all launch. Even better they would be file specific so when selected everything is open and ready for you to begin work.

It may sound trivial but if you have the need to run the same several apps everyday at a specific time, ie a meeting, then this is simply automating that step for you.

rhmorrison
06-17-2003, 01:13 PM
...I bet they're still talking about that come back trail on campus today. I believe every team, with the exception of one, who has ever had a series with ND has at least one win. But overall the win/loss still favors the IRISH!!!! :rock on dude!:
I would have to agree... The following year Notra Dame came back and whipped us 69 : 13 (I guess they wanted revenge). The BIG DEAL about the win in 1976 is that Pepper Rodgers was the coach and he still ran the Y-formation. Our cheer was:
"Up the middle, up the middle, around the end and PUNT!!
On that fated day in 1976 GA TECH only even attempted one pass and when he couldn't pass (because all the receivers were covered) he still made 15 yards on the play!

After the game the Notra Dame coach said "Why should they pass, we couldn't stop them on the ground".

maximus
06-17-2003, 01:54 PM
GO LONGHORN !!! :rock on dude!:

:D :D :D

rhmorrison
06-17-2003, 02:50 PM
You might take a look at Dashboard (http://www.snoopsoft.com/dashboard/index.html) as it looks like it might do what you want (plus a lot more) for only $ 13.00!

bradmyers
06-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Our program, called Shortcutter, for a PocketPC or Palm
allows you to create buttons or other widgets on the
handheld which can invoke programs and take other
actions on the PC. It does not require you to be a
programmer to set it up -- just draw your buttons and
type what program should be run on the PC.
See: http://www.pebbles.hcii.cmu.edu/shortcutter/

Pony99CA
06-17-2003, 04:17 PM
I believe every team, with the exception of one, who has ever had a series with ND has at least one win.
Of course, the team with the most wins in Division 1A is the Michigan Wolverines. Go Blue! (http://www.umich.edu/)

http://steve.svpocketpc.com/images/Michigan.jpg

Steve

P.S. One of the first things I taught my daughter to say was "Michigan rules, Notre Dame stinks." She has an uncle who's a Notre Dame fan.

msprague
06-17-2003, 04:45 PM
Powerstart allows you to schedule programs to open at a certain time. You can even specify command line parameters. I don't know if that means that you can get it to open a specific Pocket Word document with the parameter or not. It may be worth trying out.
http://www.schmidt6.com/powerstart/

msprague
06-17-2003, 05:50 PM
Okay, so you got me thinking, and I agree that what you described could be very helpful. I found CE Scripting Host (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productId=38787) on Handango. It doesn't have an installer but it is not terribly difficult to get setup, but it is not exactly straight forward either.
Then I created this script:
a = Spawn("NOWAIT","\Program Files\FlexWallet\FlexWallet.exe","")
b = Spawn("NOWAIT","\Windows\pxl.exe","\My Documents\xl file.pxl")
ExitHost and saved it as fw.vbs. You can then put a shortcut to fw.vbs in the start menu or on a today launcher. This example just launches two apps, but it will work with many more.
This example launches Flex Wallet and a specific Pocket Excel file called 'xl file'. I believe that is the functionality you are looking for, but it is probably a lot more complicated than you hoped for also. 8O

goirish!!
06-17-2003, 08:54 PM
P.S. One of the first things I taught my daughter to say was "Michigan rules, Notre Dame stinks." She has an uncle who's a Notre Dame fan.

I actually have a theory about this: Either you are an IRISH fan or you hate them. There is generally no middle ground. I am actually from Michigan, southwestern corner about 45 min from South Bend. Been a domer for as long as I can remember. (Still cheer for Big Blue from time to time :oops: )

One of the first things I taught my daughter was GOOOOOIRISH!!!!

Now I have the pleasure of surrounding myself with VOL fans. :pukeface:

maximus
06-18-2003, 07:16 AM

You must hate that uncle of yours so much. :D

Pony99CA
06-18-2003, 10:28 AM
You must hate that uncle of yours so much. :D
No, my brother-in-law is actually cool. I just hate Notre Dame that much. :grinning devil:

Steve

maximus
06-19-2003, 04:04 PM
any special reason for the feeling ? :)