View Full Version : Dell TrueMobile 1180 Wireless LAN CompactFlash Card Experience

Anthony Caruana
06-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Hi there

I'm about to lay down some hard-earned on an Axim X5 Advanced and will need a WLAN NIC for it. I was looking at the Dell TrueMobile 1180 Wireless LAN CompactFlash Card.

Does anyone have any experince with this card? What is the range like? What about power consumption? Can I use it with a CF/PC Card adapter so that I can use the NIC in my notebook PC?

What other cards are people using with their Axims?

TIA
Anthony

patwoods
06-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Waiting for mine in the mail now. I had some serious % off coupons for Dell burning a hole in my pocket so I splurged on one and an AP for a pretty decent deal. I wanted the Linksys CF12 but it didn't appear to be on their site anymore, so I went with the Dell one.

Since Dell actually promotes it as being perfect for the Axim I am hopeful that it will deliver on that promise myself.

David Prahl
06-16-2003, 02:36 PM
My family (I'm a child, not a parent, by the way) was visiting another family's home yesterday. The first thing I saw (besides them) was their Dell Truemobile 1184 wi-fi router. I commented on this, and found out that their son, who is about 14, has the Axim X5 and the Truemobile 1180 CF card.

Besides being FASTER than mine, his didn't have any of the D-PAD issues that the first generation of Axims had. Mine is from December, his is less than a month old.

Anyway, he could'nt find the drivers on his Axim, so we used ActiveStink (I mean, SYNC :D ) to install the drivers. Very quick, clean, and pretty!!

After installing the drivers, I stuck his 1180 CF card in, and it recognized it WITHOUT A SOFT RESET. We used the "Dell Client" application on my Axim to select their AP's SSID, and I was off to cyberspace! :mrgreen: Didn't have time to check the range, but apparently it works in most of their house. I should mention that the wi-fi AP could've been placed in a better location, but even in its present location connection was "Excellent" in the next room or so.

I'm going to get my little hands on an access point, and then go buy the CF card for $69.99 at Dell.com.

They DID say, however, that WEP was a mess to set up, so didn't do it at all! 8O

Anthony Caruana
06-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

The only thing left unanswered is whether I can use the CF card with an adapter in my PCMCIA equipped notebook PC