View Full Version : Software Development Through a Developers Eye's

Jason Dunn
06-15-2003, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcminds.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1290' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcminds.com/showth...=&threadid=1290</a><br /><br /></div>"Have you ever wondered about software development on PDA's? I have seen lots of posts mainly from EX-Palm owners asking about where is the freeware programs. So I thought I would let those of you who are curious about this in on how it works. Most Pocket PC developers are small employing anywhere from 1 to 5 developers. For the most part is a part time job. Now there are always exceptions to every rule so keep in mind I'm talking generally..."<br /><br />Corey McLaughlin, the new owner of Pocket PC Minds, has written up a short piece on the cost of software development. It's a good read and might be news to some of you.

dhpss
06-15-2003, 03:22 PM
Jason, As a PocketPC fan, beside being supportive by buying the software. I think fans, also can contribute by providing ideas of what they want to see to the developper community. I suggest we have a permanent place on your front page to collect software suggestions (and hardware too!).
My first ideas to Spb Pocket Plus:
1-Make a $5 software that only provides repeting alarm/notification.
2-Make a plug-in to the pocket Outlook, so if I send an email to my self (with a special character in the subject line), then the plug in is smart enough to put the info to the calendar or address book, etc. (e.g. Subject: #name John Smith/Microsoft/8005121212 or #cal 6/12/03 meeting at work, etc.)
As an active technology user, I have tone of ideas, I don't know how to share them...

Charles Pickrell
06-15-2003, 04:56 PM
I think the fact that we can find $20 software for the Pocket PC is amazing. Look at the PC world and nearly every new software title hovers between $40 and $200. Take TextMaker for example. Here is a word processor every bit as powerful as Microsoft Word and it costs only $49.00. Word on the desktop costs $229 on the shop.microsoft.com web site. That is a HUGE price difference for software that essentially does the same thing. And people do complain that TextMaker is too expensive.

I think that people believe that since our devices are physically smaller, the prices for software on them should be too. When actually the market for our devices is smaller that the Windows software market, so our software should actually cost MORE.

scarybear
06-15-2003, 04:58 PM
Dhpss,

Having a software suggestion section is a great idea! We as developers are always asking for new ideas and suggestions for Pocket PC applications. Passing your idea onto a developer is the best way of getting such an application created! Also, offering to beta test a software application is the best way to get free software and help shape it's development.

If you'd like to share some of your ideas with us, we would certainly be interested in listening!

Regards,

Dave
ScaryBear Software
[email protected]

iPaqDude
06-15-2003, 05:25 PM
This is a very appropriate article. I am an Infrastructure Architect with a Furtune 500 company, and knowing what we go through to develop, test, deploy and support software - not including the hardware and infrastructure software - is staggering. And that is for internally used apps. I can only imagine the additional burden that is placed on a developer or small development company to support their software at not only mutiple sites but multiple countries and in different languages.

$19.99 for software applications is a steal. I grouse about the cost of the software as well, but when you think of what you are getting, it is definately a steal. Yes, there is some software out there that is not worth the time it took to download it and test it. It's those times that we as a PPC community need to work with the developer to help him improve his software. Most would readily welcome suggestions and help in improving his work - it would only relate to fewer support calls and more sales.

Anyway... I'll get off this soapbox :soapbox: and go have some Father's Day BBQ. :pimp:

mclaughlinc
06-15-2003, 06:36 PM
I am glad to see this positive response to the article. I have plans for this to be the first of many articles discussing the Pocket PC community from a different view point.

It's with site like Pocket PC Thoughts that have helped me as a developer and me as a Pocket PC enthusiasts to learn more about these devices that I am so passionate about. I hope to see you all at PocketPCMinds.com to read and participate in the future articles. We have posted another one that ask the question whether the Pocket PC OEM's do enough to support the Pocket PC developers.

fireflyrsmr
06-15-2003, 07:53 PM
I very much appreciate what the developers do. i also think the prices are fair. having said that, i hope you guys also know how good you've got it. My wife has been trying to get a company off the ground for years where she has created a group of products - writes instructions - includes materials - and then sells the kit. This involves investment in materials for both packaging and the material to build the kit. she invests her time in creating prototypes etc. i think you get the picture we have a space issues, money to spend, and then we get to sell it at wholesale for only 30% more than it costs us. for a business in our house she has to move about $100,000 of stuff before she starts to make any money. other than your time and the initial investment in hardware and software (which you probably would have anyway) you start getting money with the first sale. Geez, $10 can buy a 6 pack of good beer. :) If it's basically a "labor of love" or more accurately a hobby, this is pretty cool. Now don't go unstable on me :wink: . read the first two lines.

Warwick
06-15-2003, 09:55 PM
Think about this, I try and keep my software as cheap as possible, around $5. I havent made enough money to pay for my Ipaq, let alone the time it took to develop the software and test it. Then there is the cost of my web site and the PC I develop on.

So there are a lot of sales at $20 before the developer even starts making money and all the costs are offset. It has actualy cost me $1000's to be able to do this. I do it for love and dont mind sending my wife off to work so I can eat. She is a good woman.

Take it easy on developers, and try to help them get the apps the way you want them, share your thoughts about the app in a polite and freindly way and give as much feedback as you can, this is sometimes the only way the developer can improve the app.

Encorage the developer by posting reviews on the download site, every app has a review section and if you take the time to post a short thankyou and a rating then you will encorage the developer to continue the development (if you like it of course) all it takes is a minute. Its a nice feeling when I see a review even if it has ideas for the next release in it. Like "This is a great app and I would like to see ..... in the next release. I can recomend it to anyone blah blah" will make the developer feel they are getting somewhere.

Thats my thoughts as a developer.

Cheers everyone,
Warwick.