View Full Version : Sony Invents Tactile Screen

Janak Parekh
06-14-2003, 06:58 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9991' target='_blank'>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9991</a><br /><br /></div>"An LCD screen that will let you feel and push virtual buttons is under development by the Sony Corporation, it has emerged. A report on nikkei.net said that the firm is producing the panel as a breakthrough next generation device that may be so sophisticated it will be able to replace keyboards and certainly touch panels."<br /><br />The implications of such a screen are staggering. Could you imagine a Pocket PC Phone or a similar smartphone device with tactile buttons in the Phone application... or Spb's <a href="http://www.softspb.com/products/fsk/index.html">Full Screen Keyboard</a> with a keyboard touch? The need for physical keypads, which is a huge space-waster, could be eliminated. On the other hand, it's not clear how exactly it'll feel from this short article.

Kati Compton
06-14-2003, 07:45 PM
That's just weird. Though if it works, that would counter one of my main reasons for not wanting a PPCPE... Now can they do anything about face grease? Maybe a force field... ;)

Jonathon Watkins
06-14-2003, 07:48 PM
Hard to see how it will work. It does sound very promising though.

I agree with Kati, finger and face grease are potential problems here. :?

This bit is really worrying: The technology uses piezo effect vibrations and Sony has cracked the problem of the high voltages normally required. 8O

Shocking, just shocking. :lol:

Arne Hess
06-14-2003, 08:25 PM
"An LCD screen that will let you feel and push virtual buttons is under development by the Sony Corporation, it has emerged. Could you imagine a Pocket PC Phone or a similar smartphone device with tactile buttons in the Phone application...
For a PPCPE this might be a good idea but please never replace real keyboards on (smart) phones. I'm sure the next 100 years something like this will never feel like real buttons and I love my real keyboard on cell phones...

ricksfiona
06-14-2003, 08:46 PM
I think that would be great! Now I know how those consoles work on Star Trek TNG. :D

I always have an issue when using touch screens. I always try to make special effort to touch directly center the location I need. I sometimes think I'm going to accidently touch another area and make a mistake.

But these won't replace regular keyboards.

bjornkeizers
06-14-2003, 08:49 PM
I dunno about this. I kind of like the "click" of real keys. I imagine this would feel like one of those nasty cell phone keypads or Psion Revo keyboards [which has like only 2 mm movement] and those are damn near impossible to use. Maybe if the screens were the size of say.. tablet PCs then yes, it'd work.. but not on a PPC.

Besides, I don't want to use my fingers on that. I can type really friggin fast, like 50 words a minute.. and i doubt the screen would take kindly to that kind of punishment.

Sslixtis
06-14-2003, 09:51 PM
I'd have been more impressed if they had perfected true Voice Recognition Software. Then I could just tell my PPC what I wanted and it would do it, no more need for a keybaord. "Computer, list todays appointments. Etc... :lol: Now that's Star Trek TNG!

Jonathon Watkins
06-14-2003, 09:55 PM
Sorry Sslixtis, but that's the LAST thing I want to happen. Being on a crowded train carriage with 5 people shouting the most intimate details down their mobile phones is bad enough, but broadcasting reports and emails as well? Nah, I'll pass on that. :)

Private input methods are the way to go. Voice recognition does work well on the PC - in private. With more and more offices being open plan or cubicles these days, I don't think voice recognition is going to make it big time. :?

T-Will
06-14-2003, 11:43 PM
That sounds awesome! I also wondered how the panels on Star Trek worked cause your fingers could easily slip off and you would always have to look at the panel to see which button you're pressing. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Pony99CA
06-15-2003, 02:22 AM
I think this would make PDA access much easier for blind people. Tapping with the stylus is difficult if you can't see :-) and, even if screen reader software exists, it's not private. This could be used for both input and output (Braille).

Steve

Pony99CA
06-15-2003, 02:28 AM
That sounds awesome! I also wondered how the panels on Star Trek worked cause your fingers could easily slip off and you would always have to look at the panel to see which button you're pressing.
This problem has been solved for years. Look at most computer keyboards. How do touch typists know their fingers haven't slipped off? Look at the little nubs on the F and J keys. Any input panel could work the same way, although you might need more distinctive nubs.

Steve

Kati Compton
06-15-2003, 02:49 AM
This problem has been solved for years. Look at most computer keyboards. How do touch typists know their fingers haven't slipped off? Look at the little nubs on the F and J keys. Any input panel could work the same way, although you might need more distinctive nubs.
That requires a fixed key location....

jschloer
06-15-2003, 04:10 AM
The biggest complaint people hhave about lcd screen remotes is the loss of tactile feedack. I'm sure this will be one of the first uses for this technology. I can't wait. Don't know how much I'd need it for a pda.

achille
06-15-2003, 04:41 AM

T-Will
06-15-2003, 09:28 AM
I also wondered how the panels on Star Trek worked cause your fingers to slip
I'm not much of an american, and dont know much of Star trek... but wasnt that a movie? I mean they didnt really have starships with lcd panels... did they ? What r u wondering about ?

Yup, that's all they've used since Star Trek:TNG. Before TNG they used knobs and switches.

maximus
06-23-2003, 07:50 AM
I'd have been more impressed if they had perfected true Voice Recognition Software. Then I could just tell my PPC what I wanted and it would do it, no more need for a keybaord. "Computer, list todays appointments. Etc... Now that's Star Trek TNG!

Heheh. To think that all these time, I want a infrared software that can take voice command .. so I can just say "ESPN" or "HBO" ....

By the way, achille, nice avatar :D