View Full Version : Pocket PC Thoughts Posting Policy

Jason Dunn
06-13-2003, 03:32 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=8994' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/ind...p?topic_id=8994</a><br /><br /></div>I've seen a few gripes from people with the usual "I submitted something yesterday and they haven't posted - what's wrong with those guys at Pocket PC Thoughts?", so I thought it was time for me to post a link to our posting policy. If you're new here, please give it a read, and everything will make much more sense. :mrgreen:

Jhokur2k
06-13-2003, 05:00 PM
Or better stated, "Keep your shirt on, we're working on it!" :lol:

Wes Salmon
06-13-2003, 09:05 PM
Jeez, it's about time you posted this story, I submitted it like 5 days ago!

danmanmayer
06-14-2003, 12:26 AM
i am afraid of submitting stories because i think they wont be put up in a timely manner. In fact if i write something about a new ipaq there is probably rumors of a newer ipaq by the time i finish typing the sentence. I am kidding you all do a fine job with stories... keep it up.

ctmagnus
06-14-2003, 04:10 AM
I submitted a news item once. At the time, I had only seen one thing about it. Ed (iirc) replied saying it would be looked after but it never made the front page. I googled it a few weeks later and there were only a few hits on it, one of them being on this site a few weeks before I saw the item. :? :wink: 8)

Jonathon Watkins
06-14-2003, 11:05 AM
It's always worth sending stuff in, even if it does not get used. One of these day's you'll get a story up, plus it's the right thing to do and the mods do so love having full email boxes. :lol:

(Quick question - how do you guys actually get to access the stories we submit? Are they mailed to you, is there a central place that you select stories from so two people don't work on the same story at the same time?)

Janak Parekh
06-14-2003, 07:47 PM
(Quick question - how do you guys actually get to access the stories we submit? Are they mailed to you, is there a central place that you select stories from so two people don't work on the same story at the same time?)
Right now, the submission goes to an internal mailing list. Each of us "claim" posts, or sometimes Jason "hands out assignments". If you happened to use an email address with your news submissions, Mr. Gerbil, you'd see all. ;) But news submissions are always appreciated, whether anonymous or otherwise. :)

I submitted a news item once. At the time, I had only seen one thing about it. Ed (iirc) replied saying it would be looked after but it never made the front page. I googled it a few weeks later and there were only a few hits on it, one of them being on this site a few weeks before I saw the item.
Well, we are human, believe it or not. :D

--janak

ctmagnus
06-14-2003, 08:15 PM
I submitted a news item once. At the time, I had only seen one thing about it. Ed (iirc) replied saying it would be looked after but it never made the front page. I googled it a few weeks later and there were only a few hits on it, one of them being on this site a few weeks before I saw the item.
Well, we are human, believe it or not. :D

--janak

Somedays it doesn't appear that way, as in the fact that this site had one of the four references to what I found, and it was dated earlier than two of them. I think there may be a wee bit of 0X at work here sometimes. :wink:

Pony99CA
06-15-2003, 12:34 AM
I submitted a news item a couple of days ago about a sale on an iPAQ 3955 at OfficeMax for $400. That's not that great a price, but you also got a $100 OfficeMax gift card by mail, making it almost like a $300 3955. I got a note from Jason handing it off to soneone else, but never saw the story posted.

I'm not complaining, mind you. As the deal expires today, I just wondered what happened to it.

UPDATE: I was going to post a link to that deal, but it doesn't seem to be on their site any more. Maybe that's why it didn't get posted. However, if you're in the Northern California area, the deal was advertised in the OfficeMax flier last week, so you may still be able to get it.

Steve

Jason Dunn
06-15-2003, 12:59 AM
I got a note from Jason handing it off to soneone else, but never saw the story posted. I'm not complaining, mind you. As the deal expires today, I just wondered what happened to it.

There's no mystery! The whole point of posting a link to our policy is to explain the above question:

"Q: Why didn't you post on what I sent you?

A: It's nothing personal, I assure you! First up, give us a few days - some news we queue up for the weekend or a slower news day. Remember also that we’re mostly volunteers – team members will post when they have time, but Real Life comes first. If you don't see your item posted after three or four days, that likely means we've opted not to post it. Our job as editors is to filter the content and decide what is most important to pass along to our readers. If you take out editorial judgment, you’d just have a site that published press releases, and what fun would that be to read?"

I assigned that post to Brad at 1:34 PM on Thursday, and as of 52 hours or so later, he hasn't posted on it. Why? Because he's a volunteer who does this in his spare time. If he doesn't have spare time, he doesn't post. It's not that complex Steve. :?

I don't ask my volunteers to put their real lives on hold just to post on the site. If something is truly important, I'll stress that I'd like it done ASAP (or, more likely, I'll do it myself), but this is just a deal at a store. It's not earth-shaking by any means...