View Full Version : What is the future of PDA Expansion/Flash Memory?

jpaq
06-13-2003, 01:56 PM
I believe that the vast sea of knowledge that is the Pocket PC Thoughts Community is the best place to pose this question?

Where is expansion and flash memory compatibility going?

It appears that HP is unsure, but doing a good job of covering its bases. The 19xx and the 55xx series appear to have SD/IO slots only, while the 22xx has both CF and SD/IO.

Dell has the X5 with both SD/IO and CF, but rumor has it that they are to release a smaller PDA in the near future.

Toshiba appears to be approaching things in much the same way as HP with a combination of devices.

It would seem that many use their CF slots for IO functions as the release of SD/IO cards has been slow at best and expensive at the least. At the same time, CF memory has become so cheap, it is a hard option to eliminate at this point.

In my opinion, the only way I would consider an SD/IO only device is if both Bluetooth and WiFi radios are built in to the unit itself. Connectivity is not an otption that I want to limit myself on.

So what do you think? Where are we going? What is important to you?

:?:

maximus
06-13-2003, 02:29 PM
I will switch to dual SDIO only if SDIO devices are common, and the price of SD cards are as cheap as CF cards. Before that happens, I choose SD+CF.

Kati Compton
06-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Ditto for me. But I'd also have to get over the $ I've spent on CF... :(

Stephen Beesley
06-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Spent way too much money on CF accessories!

Plus I think it is going to be quite some time (a couple of years or more!) before cheap SDIO devices are around to replace the CF ones I have.

Goldtee

maximus
06-13-2003, 05:07 PM
Yup. the barrier to switch from CF accessories to SDIO accessories is simply too costly. Furthermore, I think the SDIO will be more expensive than the already common CF accessories.

jpaq
06-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Spent way too much money on CF accessories!

Plus I think it is going to be quite some time (a couple of years or more!) before cheap SDIO devices are around to replace the CF ones I have.

Goldtee

This would seem to be the barrier.
SD not only has to come in line with CF pricing, but people have to be willing to re-buy things that they already have.

PetiteFlower
06-13-2003, 09:19 PM
The Axim does NOT have SDIO only SD...

Sven Johannsen
06-13-2003, 11:11 PM
Combo. Usual reasons, investment, cost, but I also am leary of the physical strength of SDIO accessories. Not so much on the Wifi/BT, but those things that have a considerable appendage hanging off the 1/2 inch wide 1/16th inch thick plastic tab, like 10BT connections, cameras, GPS...
Oh and it would have to have two SD slots, one at least I/O. I still need the memory expansion AND the peripheral.

Kati Compton
06-13-2003, 11:37 PM
If I got an SD-only device I'd feel obligated to get an SD camera too... My current one is CF.

maximus
06-14-2003, 01:04 AM
Yup. Two slots (of anytype SD or CF) is better than one. I was curious, how come noone produces somekind or 'flash card expander' ? A device that have a plug can be inserted into a SD/CF slot, and connected to an external flash card cartridges. So you can insert several CF cards into the cartridges, and it will be recognized by the PPC as a single bigger CF cards. That will be cool, you can buy 4 smaller (cheaper) 512 CF, and the PPC will recognize them as a 2 GB CF :)

Kati Compton
06-14-2003, 01:42 AM
So you can insert several CF cards into the cartridges, and it will be recognized by the PPC as a single bigger CF cards. That will be cool, you can buy 4 smaller (cheaper) 512 CF, and the PPC will recognize them as a 2 GB CF :)
People generally don't want to make their devices bigger, but I suppose if it could be rigged like the ipaq sleeves some wouldn't mind the extra volume...

dh
06-14-2003, 03:37 AM
Until such time as SD cards are as reliable as CF (or at least until Dell learns how to handle them properly) I would not buy an SD only PPC.

The new 2200 Ipaq shows that a two slot device can be produced in a sensible size. The sad thing is that the larger and more expensive 5400 Ipaq is stuck with only a single SD slot (and no I don't want to make it bigger and more expensive by adding a sleeve to it).

I'm really hoping that the Axim X7 will have both radios embedded and keep the dual slot form factor. Well, I don't have the cash right now, so maybe it will be better if it doesn't!

jpaq
06-14-2003, 01:25 PM
The Axim does NOT have SDIO only SD...

Your correct. I apologize. I forgot about that.

The issue still stands though....

jpaq
06-14-2003, 01:30 PM
It would appear that there is an obvious want for dual slot devices. Right now, we have some CF and SD devices. It would appear that there is also a desire for dual SD/IO devices. Too bad no one is offering this......yet. Has anyone heard any rumors about any manufacturer making a device like this, or would making what the people want make too much since?

hollis_f
06-14-2003, 06:16 PM
I'll not be able to do without CF for some time. Not only have I just invested in a 1GB CF, but both my cameras and all three (!) MP3 players I use are CF based.