View Full Version : Anomaly in battery gauge after installing ROM 1.11.xx

ralliart12
06-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Has anybody notice that after installing ROM ver1.11.xx for the iPaq 5450, the battery gauge meter is no longer as accurate as it should be?

For one thing, it's too 'lasting'. I'd been playing games & listening to music for half a day & the charge's still ard (96~99)%!

& another example is, sometimes, the remaining charge level increases instead of decreases!?

Has anybody also experience these sorta anomalies with the new ROM version?

ozen
06-13-2003, 01:02 PM
aww Did you go see the matrix reloaded? Trying to pull that weird multiple meaning word on us? Well anyway, try getting a trial version of Batterybar by OmegaOne at Handango (http://handango.com) and see what the readings on there say, if they say the same thing as your battery viewer the something is weird is going on in the system and you'll probably need to call support at hp.[/url]

ralliart12
06-13-2003, 05:35 PM
aww Did you go see the matrix reloaded? Trying to pull that weird multiple meaning word on us?

I'm sorry if I'd offended u in any way through my post, but I'm not trying to pull anything off here, just trying to aska simple qn. Btw, so now I can't use the word 'anomaly' just bcos it's used before in this movie?

Well anyway, try getting a trial version of Batterybar by OmegaOne...

It's 'Battery Pack 2003' by OmegaOne, & I'm already currently using it.

and see what the readings on there say, if they say the same thing as your battery viewer...

prototype
06-13-2003, 10:20 PM
I had the same problem. I was thinking ... "man this ROM update did wonders for my battery!!!" Until I went from 96% charged to 14% in about 2 seconds.

I was running Omega Battery Pack v5.0, I checked online and there was a version 5.0.5. After upgrading to that it seems to be accurate, however the battery indicator is now all RED when fully charged. Whose idea was it to completely reverse it?? Fully charged should be green!

-Drew

ralliart12
06-14-2003, 06:42 AM
I had the same problem. I was thinking ... "man this ROM update did wonders for my battery!!!" Until I went from 96% charged to 14% in about 2 seconds...

Totally dude! It's 'real lasting' now isn't it!? Anyway, I did remember seeing a similar situation to yours in BH's forums. That guy's unit went frm 9x% to 87% in a couple of seconds too. So, I guess we're not alone?

Btw, u may wanna try the infamous 'battery reset' procedure; I did it last nite & finally my meter seems to be able to decrease as per normal(I'm not sure whether this's a gd thing :roll: ).

I was running Omega Battery Pack v5.0, I checked online and there was a version 5.0.5. After upgrading to that it seems to be accurate...

Yea, I'm using BP too. Anyway, me updated my ROM recently, thus am running on a fresh installation of ver5.05. Btw, I do tink(gotta double-check this with OmegaOne) that BP takes it reading from the built-in 'Power' applet inside 'Settings', so if the built-in meter's inaccurate, so will BP's be, & vice-versa.

however the battery indicator is now all RED when fully charged. Whose idea was it to completely reverse it?? Fully charged should be green!

Yea, just to let u've peace of mind, mine's totally red too, when fully charged. Dunno whose idea it is, but perhaps we'll could wait for the next revision(which would be just around the corner, judging by the way they're going at it) of the software & it'll be rectified?

ChristopherTD
06-16-2003, 11:17 AM
I still see some charging problems with the new ROM. The meter seems to freeze.

Sometimes I have even had 103% battery life. Usually a soft-reset cures the problem, but occasionally I have to pop the battery out, hold the reset pin in for 5 seconds, and then reseat the battery.

Overall though I think the new ROM is a major improvement, but clearly has its own quirks!

madbart
06-16-2003, 01:33 PM
i had a similiar problem last night so i pulled my battery out, waited 5 seconds and refitted.....problem solved....well not quite.

After i installed the battery i found that all my software was gone!!!! how pissed was i seeing that i was reloading all my bloody software at 1am in the morning.

Something i could have done without. 8O 8O

ChristopherTD
06-16-2003, 02:02 PM
madbart,

I have had that happen to me as well. Popping the battery out caused a hard-reset rather than a soft one. Nasty.

Now I make sure I have a recent backup before I pop batteries, though it hasn't happened to me recently. No doubt the instant I relax my backup regime the hard-reset will strike again!!

madbart
06-16-2003, 03:04 PM
It is more a time waster than anything else.
I never backup apart from my pocket pc folder in my documents.
The applications are quite easy to reload via activesynce but having to punching in the serials other things is the pain.

Besides i never got the backup thingy happening! :oops:

rberry88
06-17-2003, 12:45 AM
In this thread I have attached photos of my (sic*) long lasting battery(*sic) after the ROM upgrade:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80772

rberry88

Chris Spera
06-18-2003, 09:17 PM
I have noticed that I am having trouble getting my 5455 to recognize that its connected to AC power after the ROM Upgrade.

when trying insert the device into its cradle either after a soft reset or just pulling it and heading off to a meting, it doesn't always recognize that its connected to power with its reseated.

Is anyone else having this problem? This can be a real stinker if you stick it in a cradle that's AC powered and it hard resets because the device doesn't recognize the power source.

2-3 soft resets seem to do the trick, but I'm wondering if this is a battery driver issue with the 1.11.19 ROM...

Anyone have any suggestions??

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

ChristopherTD
06-19-2003, 09:35 AM
Last night it took me half a dozen soft-resets, and two battery re-inserts before I could get the 5450 charging. The sad thing is that I don't know which of the procedures triggered it back into life.

Something is not working correctly with the battery driver after the ROM update, but as everything else seems to be good I am prepared to live with that for the moment and await an update (or PPC2003)...

umichboy
06-19-2003, 10:01 AM
I just wanted to chime in that my 5450 is working ok since the ROM upgrade. I don't have too many things installed on it though.

Good luck getting your iPaqs to work as they should.

ChristopherTD
06-19-2003, 10:38 AM
I have noticed that I am having trouble getting my 5455 to recognize that its connected to AC power after the ROM Upgrade.

Someone on Brighthand made the suggestion that unplugging the AC adapter may help, and certainly that may have been what helped me last night. An earlier power cut may have set the AC adapter into a protected mode and replugging it cleared that state.

Something to try anwyay next time the 5450 won't charge!