View Full Version : Mirror, mirror on the wall which Ipaq is the best of all?

FunHouse82
06-13-2003, 11:30 AM
I currently am trying to decide between getting the Ipaq 2215 or the Ipaq 1945.

Things I am looking for:

+Accepts SD cards
+Built in Blue Tooth
+Normal speed proccesor
+Newest operating system
+Mobility
+Expandibility (did not see any in the Ipaq 1915)

Any help would be appreciated.

Pony99CA
06-13-2003, 01:07 PM
I currently am trying to decide between getting the Ipaq 2215 or the Ipaq 1945.

Things I am looking for:

+Accepts SD cards
+Built in Blue Tooth
+Normal speed proccesor
+Newest operating system
+Mobility
+Expandibility (did not see any in the Ipaq 1915)

Both of those should meet your criteria. However, that depends on what you mean by a couple of things:

What is a "normal speed processor"?
What does "mobility" mean? These are Pocket PCs -- they're meant to be portable.

The 1940 should be expandable with an SDIO slot; the 2210 will have both Compact Flash and SDIO. Check out this Brighthand article (http://www.brighthand.com/article/Everything_About_The_New_iPAQs) for details.

Steve

maximus
06-13-2003, 02:44 PM
Just a personal opinion, between those two, I would definitely go with the 2200. Dual SDIO and CF means A LOT of option for you. Not to mention the processor speed. The samsung processor on the 19xx is simply ... unsatisfactory.

Slower processor = shorter life span. Suppose 1 year from now, most of the cool applications demands 300mhz. What will happen to 19xx owners ? :)

Thinkingman
06-13-2003, 02:50 PM
Here Here! I agree, go with the 2200 series ipaq. I must say I am considering it myself. of course the money may be more than what I want to pay, but we shall see:)
Expandability will be better with the 2200, and you will be able to do everything you talked about on your post.
"Normal" ???

Crystal Eitle
06-13-2003, 02:54 PM
I haven't seen a 22xx in person yet, so I can't speak to their size, but as for "pocketability" the 19xx series has to be the best Pocket PC out there. I absolutely love the form factor of my 1910. I'm torn as to what my next Pocket PC will be. I'm waiting for all the manufacturers (HP, Gateway, Dell) to release their models, so I can get the one that best suits my needs.

maximus
06-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Exactly. I am thinking about giving my gf a PPC for her upcoming birthday, and I think the 2200 will make a great companion for a girl. I showed her the images of the 2200 (from Jason's earlier link) ... and she think that it is a cute looking device. I dont know what that means exactly, but I seriously think she has made a good progress toward PPCs. Perhaps one day the two of us can go shopping with a PPC in each of our pockets.

And that will be a dream come true. :D

ombu
06-14-2003, 03:39 PM
The samsung processor on the 19xx is simply ... unsatisfactory.

Did you test it? Did somebody else? Please tell us more. :wink:

Regards.

davidspalding
06-14-2003, 05:41 PM
Latest OS ... I don't get the impression that you "must, absolutely must" have the newest version of Pocket PC. Generally, the version supplied with a unit covers all or most of its capabilities.

This isn't a PC. You don't upgrade it to get new features and more performance. Some have Flash ROM enabling incremental updates and fixes, but ... if you can find a great price on last year's PPCs with Pocket PC 2002, then you won't be missing out on much.

Janak Parekh
06-14-2003, 07:56 PM
The samsung processor on the 19xx is simply ... unsatisfactory.

Did you test it? Did somebody else? Please tell us more. :wink:
Hrm, good point. Maximus, if you're referring to the released 1910 and 1915, they have Intel XScale processors, not Samsung chips. Despite the fact they're rated at similar speeds, that doesn't mean they'll perform identically. On the other hand, if you have a (rumored) 194x, please do let us know!

Latest OS ... I don't get the impression that you "must, absolutely must" have the newest version of Pocket PC. Generally, the version supplied with a unit covers all or most of its capabilities.
True. Despite the release of PalmOS 5.2, people still buy 4.x devices today. On the other hand, people on this board tend to want the "latest and greatest", as opposed to the average consumer.

--janak

maximus
06-15-2003, 02:21 AM
Hrm, good point. Maximus, if you're referring to the released 1910 and 1915, they have Intel XScale processors, not Samsung chips. Despite the fact they're rated at similar speeds, that doesn't mean they'll perform identically. On the other hand, if you have a (rumored) 194x, please do let us know!

I was referring to the 194x and its samsung 200+mhz processor. I used the i700 (300mhz processor) for 3 days (yeah, I forcefully exchanged my axim for 3 days with my friend) ... and actually I was not impressed with the 300mhz processor. Example would be, playing Divx with pocketMVP. The i700 dropped a lot of frames. And that is with no background applications running. I was so happy the day I got my axim back.

Janak Parekh
06-15-2003, 03:59 AM
I was referring to the 194x and its samsung 200+mhz processor. I used the i700 (300mhz processor) for 3 days (yeah, I forcefully exchanged my axim for 3 days with my friend) ... and actually I was not impressed with the 300mhz processor. Example would be, playing Divx with pocketMVP. The i700 dropped a lot of frames. And that is with no background applications running. I was so happy the day I got my axim back.
Ah. You're mixing processors here. The Samsung i700 does not use the Samsung CPU: it's running a 300MHz Intel XScale chip. You can't draw a conclusion about Samsung CPUs from that Pocket PC -- I'd bet they're completely separate divisions within the company.

--janak

maximus
06-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Um, sorry for the misuderstanding here. I am merely comparing an intel 300mhz xscale (on i700) vs. a samsung 200+mhz xscale (on 194x). I hope i am not too mistaken making a deduction that the 200+mhz xscale will be slower than the 300mhz. I might be mistaken though.

One thing I know for sure. The performance of i700 in playing divx is below par. And it is with a 300mhz xscale.