View Full Version : Getting Organized with PDAs

Jason Dunn
06-12-2003, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tomshardware.com/newsletter/vol3/23/pda.html' target='_blank'>http://www.tomshardware.com/newslet...ol3/23/pda.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Think Palms are strictly workhorses and Pocket PCs (PPCs) are feature-packed multimedia toys? These models go to show that preconceptions like this are now completely out of date. As the Sony Cliés have shown, PDAs with the Palm OS can also deliver multimedia features like MP3 playback, digital imaging and high resolution displays. Indeed, the Palm PDA category winner, the Sony Clié PEG-NX70V, easily keeps up with the Pocket PCs as far as multimedia is concerned. At the same time, the Clié is careful not to ignore the classic Palm virtues - user friendliness and plenty of PDA features. <br /><br />As always, Pocket PCs are more demanding in terms of hardware, so you won't find them in the cut-price segment alongside the Palm Zire. Nevertheless, the arrival of the first OEM units has put downward pressure on the price of Pocket PCs. Some models with respectable specifications are available for a price that makes them attractive for the less affluent customer. As recently as 12 months ago, it was impossible to gain admission to the world of Pocket PCs for less than $700."

Cortex
06-12-2003, 01:17 AM
its a shame they didnt update it with the latest 1910 and other models...

Timothy Rapson
06-12-2003, 02:01 AM
Wow, that is the most exhaustive set of objective performance charts about PDAs that I have ever seen on any web site.

I have a big concern about the accuracy of it when they claim the Tungsten T screen is far brighter that that of the Clie NX70V, but perhaps it is just a typo. The rest of the information shows some dramatic surprises. Why does the 3900 series have less than 2/3 the battery life if the 5400?

Are the Axims really as fast or faster than many of the far more expensive models? What about the 1400 mAh batteries of the Axims getting less life than the Ipaqs running the same processors with only 900 mAh batteries? Everyone I have read gives the Axims far greater battery life times than the Ipaqs.

There sure is a lot at Tom's to look into.

spursdude
06-12-2003, 02:35 AM
Wow, that is the most exhaustive set of objective performance charts about PDAs that I have ever seen on any web site.

I have a big concern about the accuracy of it when they claim the Tungsten T screen is far brighter that that of the Clie NX70V, but perhaps it is just a typo. The rest of the information shows some dramatic surprises. Why does the 3900 series have less than 2/3 the battery life if the 5400?

Are the Axims really as fast or faster than many of the far more expensive models? What about the 1400 mAh batteries of the Axims getting less life than the Ipaqs running the same processors with only 900 mAh batteries? Everyone I have read gives the Axims far greater battery life times than the Ipaqs.

There sure is a lot at Tom's to look into.
Yeah I agree with you. The info didn't mention at what level the processors were scaled, at what level the backlights were set, or what tasks were being done.

And I don't know how relevant luminance is as opposed to screen quality? The Tungsten T may have the greatest luminance, but I'm sure that the NX70V's screen will be much better than it, just for being transflective. The same goes for the Axim being worse in luminance than the e330...

But I do like all the comparisons.

Foo Fighter
06-12-2003, 02:56 AM
This "guide" needs some guidance of its own. It's outdated. Many of these devices have long since been discontinued, and few current generation products are even listed.

The benchmarks are very thorough and impressive though.

TawnerX
06-12-2003, 03:03 AM
And I don't know how relevant luminance is as opposed to screen quality? The Tungsten T may have the greatest luminance, but I'm sure that the NX70V's screen will be much better than it, just for being transflective. The same goes for the Axim being worse in luminance than the e330...

luminance is just brightness. They did say that their battery test is done on all same luminance, which is pretty usefull battery performance test. I haven't seen this done before on the net, beside the rather bogus "set screen on 25% brightness"

I just wish they explain how they process the weighing data. then we might better understand what they mean with their total comparison.

qmrq
06-12-2003, 03:07 AM
"As recently as 12 months ago, it was impossible to gain admission to the world of Pocket PCs for less than $700."

Just a bit of hyperbole, hmm? ; )

Jason Dunn
06-12-2003, 03:08 AM
The benchmarks are very thorough and impressive though.

Just you wait....just you wait. Muwahahahaha.... :drinking:

Jason Dunn
06-12-2003, 03:09 AM
This "guide" needs some guidance of its own. It's outdated. Many of these devices have long since been discontinued, and few current generation products are even listed.

Almost everything at THG is from Europe, so I wonder if it's a reflection of their market?

Ed Hansberry
06-12-2003, 03:19 AM
Palm must not have got this deal funded like they did the other comparison between some Palms and iPAQs. This one shows most PPCs have better battery life, brighter screens, faster USB sync, etc. :roll:

willkess71
06-12-2003, 06:06 AM
I love my iPAQ and the Pocket PC system but naming a release after something that has so many holes... Ozone ... Ouch! :mrgreen:

Pony99CA
06-12-2003, 08:09 AM
"As recently as 12 months ago, it was impossible to gain admission to the world of Pocket PCs for less than $700."
Just a bit of hyperbole, hmm? ; )
You noticed that, too, eh? Maybe that "$700" wasn't U.S. currency, but Canadian. :-D

When my iPAQ 3870 was new in January 2002 (and state of the art), I got it for $650, and the 3850 was even less ($550, if memory serves). When I bought my iPAQ 3650 in July 2001, it was only surpassed by the iPAQ 3670 (with 64 MB RAM), and I paid $428 (after a $25 discount).

So I'd say Tom should hire some fact checkers. :roll:

Steve

Rok
06-12-2003, 08:22 AM

Perhaps it is you who should check some facts before passing judgment. You see, PDA prices are way higher this side of the great pond. And, wouldn't you know, Tom is German... So his statements hold true.

In this day and age, ignorance certainly ain't bliss.

Best regards,
Rok

Pony99CA
06-12-2003, 09:59 AM

Perhaps it is you who should check some facts before passing judgment. You see, PDA prices are way higher this side of the great pond. And, wouldn't you know, Tom is German... So his statements hold true.

Why does it matter that Tom is German? According to his About page (http://www.tomshardware.com/site/media/about_us.html), he's based in the U.K. (at least, as of 2001). So why would he be using U.S. currency to quote non-U.S. prices? If he's quoting British prices, it would make more sense to quote prices in pounds, I'd think.

If he is quoting prices in U.S. dollars for the benefit of American readers or because the dollar is a "universal" currency, then he should have stated what region that price was for.

Read that quotation again:

He said it was impossible to get a Pocket PC for less than $700 -- not just in Europe. Without any such disclaimer, I think it's reasonable to assume that statement applied worldwide. After all, I believe Germans (or Brits) can travel to the U.S.

In fact, here's another quote from Tom's article:

Attractively priced units cannot compete against high-tech PDAs like the Ipaq H5450 on price alone, however. Our Pocket PC group winner includes all the features you can expect to find in a PDA. With WLAN and Bluetooth module, fingerprint scanner for secure login, bright 3.8" display and 400-MHz XScale CPU -- what else could anyone want? The device is priced accordingly: you will have to shell out $699 for this top-of-the-line PDA.

What is the list price of the iPAQ 5450 in the U.S.? According to HP's Web site (http://www.smb.compaq.com/dstore/MiddleFrame.asp?page=config&ProductLineId=510&FamilyId=816&BaseID=7439&r=HP_ProdShowcase_O&n=D_I_DR_X_T_x_GenericNVP&c=HPProdShowcase_264493-001&t=ad), $649.99 after a $50 instant rebate valid from May 19 through June 30 (or $699.99 regularly). So it looks like Tom is using U.S. prices, not European prices.

In this day and age, ignorance certainly ain't bliss.

No, it certainly isn't....

Steve

maximus
06-14-2003, 01:21 AM
GO pony GO ! :D

Actually, I have been trying not to comment in this thread, because I know him in person, so my view will be somewhat subjective.

Uh well, I am a daily visitor of toms' hardware. I have been following his articles/reviews waaaaaaaay-back, from day 1. Tom is an advanced expert on PC hardware. Any informations regarding desktop PCs (laptops, workstations, VGA cards, servers, harddrives, processors, etc.) are generally very accurate. Just like any other good site admins, he keeps on trying to broaden the aspects of his board, hence he starts touching areas that are new to him (PPC, digital cameras, etc.) ... So, give the man a chance, everyone has a learning-curve in everything. He is a very smart and honored person. I am sure in due time, he will be an excellent reviewer in PPC too. :D

Jason Dunn
06-15-2003, 01:03 AM
Tom is an advanced expert on PC hardware...

Definitely - and I trust his opinion a great deal. But to be fair, he wasn't the author of this article, so your point is moot. :wink:

maximus
06-15-2003, 02:11 AM
Those who know Tom, knows that he reviewed all major review in his board, news, etc. And I am sure he did not missed something as big as a PDA/PPC review. :D