View Full Version : Upgrade to 2003 for all PPCs?

Ivan
06-11-2003, 04:49 PM
I hate to link to threads to other sites, but there's one over a Brighthand from a guy who says that we "will be able to upgrade parts of the OLD 2002 to 2003 parts over a web site. Basically it will be broken down into parts such as core aps, OS etc... so even older ppc's with less than 32mb can upgrade to the newer OS but not have all the new apps."

Is this even possible?. I know that the OS needs to be configured for each device by the manufacturers and that's why Pocket PC OS is not offered individually from MS' website.

If this is true, then theoretically we could upgrade any PPC to 2K3.

Anyone have any comments on this? (Jason, can you shed a light on this, without breaking your NDA of course :D )

Jason Dunn
06-11-2003, 05:12 PM
It's 100% up to the OEMs. Microsoft gives them the 2003 upgrade, they add their drivers and tweaks, then they decide if they want to sell it to their customers, or force their customers to buy new devices. Right now it's a waiting game, and the OEMs aren't going to say anything until Microsoft announces the OS officially.

Ivan
06-11-2003, 05:20 PM
That's what I thought... too good to be true. :(

I wish HP somehow finds the way to offer an upgrade to 2003 for h1910 users.

davidspalding
06-11-2003, 07:24 PM
If this is true, then theoretically we could upgrade any PPC to 2K3.

As a comrade in Tech Support used to say, "Please send us a sample of your drugs so that we can duplicate your expectations."

maximus
06-12-2003, 02:36 AM
For the OEM, I guess it is makes more sense not to offer upgrades. Hence those of you who really want to have the latest and the greatest (PPC2003), must buy a new PPC.

If they choose to offer upgrades, imagine the impact to their customer service. Suddently they will get all these calls about "Hey, I flashed my ROM, but it does not work !!! I want a replacement !! I want a new device with PPC2003 installed !!" ... what a headache.

spursdude
06-12-2003, 02:58 AM
For the OEM, I guess it is makes more sense not to offer upgrades. Hence those of you who really want to have the latest and the greatest (PPC2003), must buy a new PPC.
Well, it doesn't make sense to anger your brand new customers either by refusing to provide upgrades.

maximus
06-12-2003, 07:27 AM
Well, honestly, observing the spec of PPC2003 from various boards, I can say that upgrade to PPC2003 is not critical to me at this time. And I already consider myself a geeky person.

Imagine the other 90% of PPC users, the non-geeky type, people who uses PPCs only to check emails, appointments, and write notes. I dont think they want an upgrade. If it is not broken, why bother ? To them, upgrading to PPC2003 carries inherent risk. What if the PPC decide to crash after being upgraded ?

So that leaves only about 10% of their customer, which represents the geeky/techy people. Substract that with people like me (geeks that dont really care about PPC2003) ... That leaves about 4-5%. Substract the geeks who dont want to fight over a measly update ... That leaves around 1% of the customer base.

OEMs would certainly try to keep their customer base, but significantly cutting revenue to keep 1% of their customer base ? I dont think so. :)

Jason Dunn
06-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Well, honestly, observing the spec of PPC2003 from various boards, I can say that upgrade to PPC2003 is not critical to me at this time. And I already consider myself a geeky person.

Betcha' I can make you change your mind! :D There's some great stuff to be had there - there's one application in particular that I'd get the upgrade for, if nothing else. Jeese I wish I wasn't under NDA, but I'll say this much: as most suspected, this isn't a "wow, this will blow you away" upgrade, but it's a very smart upgrade - moving from CE 3.0 to 4.2 is a very big deal for the long-term haul. 0X

spursdude
06-12-2003, 04:33 PM
there's one application in particular that I'd get the upgrade for, if nothing else.
It's the bubble game.... :rock on dude!:

maximus
06-12-2003, 04:34 PM
but it's a very smart upgrade - moving from CE 3.0 to 4.2 is a very big deal for the long-term haul.

Ok, keep us posted.

What is the primary difference of 3.0 and 4.2 anyway ?

JonnoB
06-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Betcha' I can make you change your mind! :D There's some great stuff to be had there - there's one application in particular that I'd get the upgrade for, if nothing else.

Jason - I have been using the SDK and emulator for development and have yet to see a 'killer new application.' The new PIE is better with support for stylesheets, etc. There is an images program, a better Activesync client, new game, connection manager wizard, integrated wireless stuff, and other minor things.... and of course, the kernal is brought up to to date - but where is this killer application?

ipaq38vette
06-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Maximus, I think more than 1% of PPC users will upgrade to PPC2003. I am not a geek, but I hate, hate PIE and want the new media player. I bet more people feel that they need/want to upgrade because of 1-4 certian features, instead of upgrading only because they like to have the latest "thing".

ipaq38vette
06-12-2003, 07:12 PM
JonnoB, what new game is it? I hope its Pinball, like the one on XP.

spursdude
06-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Check out the screenshot towards the bottom of this page (http://msmobiles.com/article.php/31.html). It's called Jawbreaker... if it's what I think it is, it's fun but not amazing.

JonnoB
06-12-2003, 07:41 PM

Not pinball... As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it is jawbreaker. A 'bubbles' kind of game. Yawn

The improvements made below the covers in the kernal (going to 4.2) are the largest improvements. Sadly, not much in terms of applications, but for the long-haul, updating the core was needed and probably consumed most of the recent resources.

Much like Win98 - Win2k made a dramatic underneath improvement and it took a while longer to get WinXP with UI changes... I suspect the same with Pocket PC. The next OS (post 2003) will have all of the application improvements and new features based on all of the work already done getting the new CE core into the device.

maximus
06-13-2003, 02:37 PM
I am not a geek, but I hate, hate PIE and want the new media player.

Any special reason why do you like the WMP 9 so much ? It is more stable in streaming alright, but the desktop version eats up almost twice memory space than the version 8. If that also happens in the PPC version ...

ipaq38vette
06-13-2003, 02:46 PM
I heard according to one website of a guy who has PPC2003 that media streaming over WiFi is much, much better. He said he streamed 192kbps wma audio with only buffering at the beginning, and a 225kbps(I think?) video from his laptop with no buffering. That is a great feature for people like me who have a smaller storage card (128mb) but have WIFI and alot of music on the desktop.

maximus
06-13-2003, 05:22 PM
I experienced the same thing. version 9 is definitely more stable in streaming (broadcasting from a server to several PCs, never tried on PPCs yet). Lets hope that the RAM requirement of the PPC version is much smaller than the desktop version.

Andy Roberts
06-14-2003, 10:42 PM
Well I own Bubblets.......I can wait for conduits new version of it's player.....using Facelift to look more like a pc than a ppc.....got nice start.

Err does MS know that their are so many apps to make our PPC's better that this upgrade seems a tad worth less?

but then I have been known to be wrong.