View Full Version : Vaja Cases in the UK

andykemp
06-10-2003, 04:17 PM
I am thinking about getting the Ipaq 5555 when it is released but while Vaja has their 'Father's Day' offer of Free customization on their cases on, I was thinking about getting a case for it!!

Can anybody tell me how much more I should expect to pay for import tax etc. if I have the case shipped to the UK??

The case with shipping is alread $100, which I am just about happy to pay, but if the import tax etc. is going to be lots I will go with the Peil Frama case...

Thanks

Andy

hollis_f
06-11-2003, 05:26 AM
I am thinking about getting the Ipaq 5555 when it is released but while Vaja has their 'Father's Day' offer of Free customization on their cases on, I was thinking about getting a case for it!!

Can anybody tell me how much more I should expect to pay for import tax etc. if I have the case shipped to the UK??

The case with shipping is alread $100, which I am just about happy to pay, but if the import tax etc. is going to be lots I will go with the Peil Frama case...

Thanks

AndyIt should be the standard rate of VAT - currently 17.5%. Then there's the fee that the couriers will charge for collecting the VAT - that'll be another fiver, or so.

andrewlwood
06-11-2003, 06:32 AM
I don't think you pay VAT on imported goods. I've never had a Vaja shipped to the UK but I've had one sent to China and Hong Kong (sic)
and not had to pay vat in either location. I never had to pay vat on goods mailordered from overseas while I lived in the UK.

Go for the Vaja, my son. If I didn't have one, I'd be getting one on this deal - with ALL the doodads.

Zensbikeshop
06-11-2003, 01:06 PM
I've had three Vaja cases and only paid tax on the first one.

Vaja now ship the case to a distribution centre in Italy (I think) so we avoid tax as it's shipped within the EU.

hollis_f
06-12-2003, 07:19 AM
I've had three Vaja cases and only paid tax on the first one.

Vaja now ship the case to a distribution centre in Italy (I think) so we avoid tax as it's shipped within the EU.If it is subject to VAT in the UK then you're supposed to pay the VAT on imported goods. Sometimes Customs and Excise don't seem to bother. Most times they do. Even if they ship via an EU distribution centre you should have to pay the VAT.

andykemp
06-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the info!

I contacted Vaja to ask about the distribution centre in Europe but they say:-
No, we used to have a distribution center in Spain, but now we are shipping
from Argentina directly to shorten the package transit time.

Which is bad news for us in Europe!!

Does anyone know how much I pay for the import now that it looks like I will have to pay it?

Thanks

Zensbikeshop
06-12-2003, 04:11 PM
When I did have to pay the tax it was about £20 - 25 I think.

A fairly big chunk of the cost.

Shame about the Euro hub; only seemed to add a couple of days to my last delivery.

paris
06-16-2003, 11:47 PM
when i got my 5450 vaja case i paide NO TAX at all!!! i dont know if it was on purpose or someting but my case had no invoice associated with it for taxing and so i paid not tax or anything!

andykemp
06-17-2003, 10:40 AM
I have given in an ordered a Magnetic fliptop (824) case from Vaja in Jean!!

Now all I have to do is wait for HP to release the 5555 so I can use it!!!