View Full Version : just got a new PPC

kigling
06-10-2003, 01:45 AM
hi guys,
i just got my very own PPC. an iPAC3970
while surfing around, i found this site.
great find :)
anyway, me being a newbie and all, i kinda am lost with the PPC....
hope you guys can help me out
1. how do i find out whats the hardware of the unit. the info under settings>system are not really detailed enough.
2. how do i find out what ver of windows CE/PPC im using?
3. in contacts, how do i get the contacts to display and sort according to the first name, and not the last name as default.

thanks in advance

Thinkingmandavid
06-10-2003, 01:56 AM
hey dude, glad you have one!:)
if youreally want to learn about your ppc you are going to do a lot of reading. ON these boards and on other sites, magazines, etc.
It is how everyone is learning.
Use the manual that it came with as a good start. Take it upon your self to test out your unit and see what it is capable of. I mean, try doing different things on it so you can learn more how to use it. The best way to learn how to use it is by using it. as duh as that may sound it amazes me hwo many are not simply doing that.
Go throught the boards here and begin to read some of the threads, more than likely your questions have been answered.
oh, there is some free software online, and some to buy.
YOu want to tailor your ppc for you, to fit and meet your needs. :)
welcome to the boards dude!:)

Reinaldo
06-10-2003, 02:06 AM
Hey Kigling!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pocket PCs!

Let me try to answer your questions:

1. The hardware of the unit: you have an iPAQ 3970 with 64 MB RAM and 42 MB ROM, with a PXA 250 proccessor clocked to 400 MHz, a Transflective screen, an SDIO slot, etc... If you haven't looked, go to the Asset Viewer on the system settings tab. Its a very nice unit, I specially liked it because it was far more stable than other Pocket PCs.

2. For the version go to Settings-System-About. The OS all Pocket PCs at this time are running is commonly known as Pocket PC 2002. There is an OS upgrade that is coming up called Pocket PC 2003 even though Microsoft still has not announced it to the public. One question: What is the background of your todat screen? Does it say 'Microsoft Mobile' or is it a Bliss background with a windows flag? This helps determine your latest OS version.

3. I think (I am not sure) that there's no method of doing that with the built in contacts application. However, there are many third part applications that can sort contacts to be arranged by name. One of these are Pocket Informant (http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=XADE15FX59F6XA95X4BDEXA447C8A7D8?siteId=311&jid=XADE15FX59F6XA95X4BDEXA447C8A7D8&productId=10226): an excellent application to handle the calendar, notes, and contacts section of your iPAQ. Although I would try to get used to your iPAQ before I egan to install applications.

I agree with Thinkingmandavid, you should just use your iPAQ for a week or so and read the manuals and the threads arround these forums. This is an excellent source and a large community of Pocket PC users.

Hope I was some help.
Good luck with your new iPAQ.

kigling
06-10-2003, 05:47 AM
thanks guys!!
i will most defintely play aroung with the PPC. one hting nice bout it, its very much like Windows
:)

Brad Adrian
06-10-2003, 05:54 AM
Welcome to the world of Pocket PCs. I'm glad you so quickly found the *best* Web site on the topic. Just let us know how we can help.

karinatwork
06-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Hey there, welcome!

And btw, never be afraid of asking ANY question... I do that all the time! :lol:

Karin

davidspalding
06-11-2003, 03:37 AM
Welcome, friend.

I think youv'e got a common complaint that the "display name" and sorting is something you have more control in Outlook than on the PPC (Pocket Outlook). In fact, I'm annoyed that when I add a new contact to my biz category (which I display as Lname, Fname (Company)) I can't select that display method on the PPC. I have to change it when I'm working at a PC. :P