View Full Version : IOGEAR Debuts World's Thinnest Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Hub

Jason Dunn
06-09-2003, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GUH274' target='_blank'>http://www.iogear.com/products/prod...php?Item=GUH274</a><br /><br /></div>"IOGEAR has introduced its USB 2.0 MicroHub for consumers and SOHO users. The MicroHub allows users to access 40 times faster connection speeds than standard USB 1.1 devices. IOGEAR's 4-port hub gives users faster data connection rates of up to 480 Mbps, all within a device that is smaller than a business card. This increased speed allows users to benefit from a range of high performance input devices including storage, printers, scanners and digital cameras. The 0.7" x 2.5" x 1.8" MicroHub weighs only 1.6 ounces. It is both Mac and PC compatible. The product is priced at $29.95 (MSRP) and is now available from all major catalog resellers, online resellers and selected retail outlets."<br /><br />This looks like one cool little hub!

ctmagnus
06-09-2003, 11:39 PM
When (unfortunately, more of an if) I get a 5550, I'd love to grab one of these to plug my other stuff into. Looks like it'll be comparitively priced after exchange, too!

3 Year Limited Warranty.

You don't see that much anymore.

beq
06-10-2003, 03:14 AM
The 5550 will have built-in USB Host? Cool!

Anyways, I wonder how big this hub's power brick is... But I don't want to go into a rant about how USB should offer more bus power (closer to powered Firewire)...

P.S. Addonics makes a nifty $5 USB Y-cable that plugs into two powered USB ports (theoretically up to 2.5W x 2) and combine their power for devices that require more (like some portable HDD/optical drives)... Heck they also make a high-power USB 2.0 hub that offers up to 4x the "legal" USB bus power for a port (like 2A / 10W) I think...

EDIT: I don't want to go off into a tangent here (too late), but what are ya'll's experience with USB bus-powering portable laptop HDDs? For me, any drive model approaching 30-40GB and up (even the slow 4200rpm variety) needs too much power for some USB ports (especially USB 2.0 ports). I've only had constant bus power success w/ some old 6-10GB drives I have, weird. I've tried enclosures from Addonics, Archos, ADS, many generics from local stores... Anyways I hate having to carry a separate power cable along if I don't need to...

beq
06-10-2003, 03:38 AM
Forgot to say thanks for this announcement, I've bought 2 (but it BETTER be the world's smallest and that I won't find anything smaller :twisted:)

ctmagnus
06-10-2003, 05:19 AM
The 5550 will have built-in USB Host? Cool!

Sorry :oops:, I was referring to plugging the 5550's cradle into the back of the computer and moving some of the stuff I have there now to a hub. But if the 5550 had in-built USB host, I'd grab one in a second regardless of my current financial situation.