View Full Version : New Toy!!! A... Newton!

malcolmsharp
06-08-2003, 05:04 AM
Was helping my room mate's boss buy a used laptop, when I noticed a Newton Pad in the display window. It was only $20, so he bought it for me, along with a really good meal and a very tall beer.

It's got some marks on the screen, and it has NO cables at all, but it has a 2 meg memory card. The calibration seems a bit off, too.

But you know what... I've got a piece of PDA history, and I think I'm going to enjoy it!

xoiph
06-08-2003, 06:08 AM
yay for newton :mrgreen:

dean_shan
06-08-2003, 07:43 AM
those things are sweet. The large screen makes it good for a scetch pad. At least that's what I use mine for. You can pick up some good newton software at UNNA.org (http://www.unna.org)

Doug Rausch
06-08-2003, 12:24 PM
I still pick up my Newton and marvel at how far pda's have come in terms of size and capabilities. I wish my Pocket PC had some of the built in capability my Newton had to print and fax. Apple had some good ideas.

Enjoy

cslaughtermd
06-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Sweet! What kind of newton is it? The older ones like the OMP (original messagepad) and 120/130 have one PCMCIA card slot at the top and the Messagepad 2000 and 2100 have two PCMCIA slots on the right side. All have built-in HWR (as good as transcriber in the MP2K!), built in word/excel/paint programs, GPS mapping capability, voice recording, built-in fax/ir printing too! Except for the color screen, the MP2K was pretty much as powerful overall and better in some ways as the first generation PPCs! I love it when PPC users want the bigger screen and keyboard form factor - we had it in the newton in 1997!
check out:
http://www.thisoldnewt.net/index2.html
have fun playing!

Hyperluminal
06-08-2003, 02:53 PM
Yep, I bought a Newton from eBay about 8 months ago. They're nice, aren't they? :)

By the way, if you want a good Newton message board, newtontalk.net is very active...

malcolmsharp
06-08-2003, 05:30 PM
It's a 120, and honestly not more than a toy for me, as it doesn't have any cables or such. They had a better one with the cables and a keyboard, and my room mate (a real Mac head, very jealous that I have a Newton) may get it for $80, or we my go halves on it.