View Full Version : Yet another problem with my PPC

Hyperluminal
06-06-2003, 11:05 PM
Alright, as if the broken power button on my iPaq (3835) wasn't enough, now it has another problem. It's actually been doing this for a while, but I never thought much of it until recently.

Basically, often when I'm using my iPaq, it'll just slow down, to the point of grinding to a halt, then slowly come back to life again. It's similar to when you try to do something on your PC when you're simultaneously running a Photoshop filter, rendering a 3D movie, and calculating the millionth digit of Pi. ;) It happens with nothing running in the background, and when I'm doing things like opening the Start menu or using a PIM program. Basically, it can happen anywhere. It lasts for about ten seconds, then my iPaq comes back to life.

I was convinced that my system resources were just being hogged by some old programs and stuff, so I hard reset it, and it still does it. I know it used to not do this before.

Any ideas?

maximus
06-09-2003, 06:59 AM
ipaq 2200 ? :wink:

It is about time to free your old ipaq from it's suffering.
Let him go, young luke. He will always be with you in spirit. 8O

davidspalding
06-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Startap PEMON might give you a clue, if it is supported on your Ipaq.

http://www.thumbsupsoft.com/maphtm/pemon.html

Will show if any background processes are hogging the processor, for instance. They wrote it to document a problem with Casio E1xx's experiencing a "bit storm" while supposedly idle. HTH.

Thinkingman
06-09-2003, 02:27 PM
It seems to me to ge it fixed will be some money, but then again getting a new one is always cool.But then money thing again... maybe it does need to be put to rest:) haha

Hyperluminal
06-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I think I will put it to rest this June 23. ;) The only problem is I'm not sure which one to get... hmm, 1940, 2200, or 5555? :)

Thanks David, I think I will try that program. Maybe I can see what's going on...

maximus
06-10-2003, 01:58 AM
How about Dell's upcoming X7 ? With integrated CF slot ?

If you choose to go with ipaq, I think it is definitely the 5555. Quoting ATI's radeon 9700 pro's commercial: 'When you are this far ahead, you will never be left behind' :D

spursdude
06-10-2003, 02:16 AM
How about Dell's upcoming X7 ?
The only problem is that Dell hasn't even said a word about this... but almost assuredly Dell will probably come out with more Pocket PCs, and they'll probably be just as good as the Axim, if not better.

maximus
06-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Boy, you are fast. I was editing the post above to add the second paragraph ... Well, anyway, I am pretty sure Dell will come up with something to amplify all these PPC2003 propaganda. They wouldnt want to be left behind, right ? :D

And I think Dell will come up with just one new PPC, perhaps two at maximum, to keep inventory cost low. Maybe they just going to make an X7 advanced (with built in wifi), and X7 regulars (with no wifi, and slightly lower processor speed, no cradle) ....

Hyperluminal
06-10-2003, 09:37 PM
No, I'd rather not buy from Dell. I've had too many absolutely horrible experiences from them, to buy from them unless I really didn't have a choice. I would be interested to see what Toshiba, ViewSonic, and the others ones come out with...

SlimDady
06-10-2003, 10:12 PM
well hopefully in dells next rendition of teh axim they will fix the annoying d-pad..

Thats my only real big problem with the thing, its just so unresponsive and mushy.

Ohh maybe built in wifi and bluetooth

Abba Zabba
06-11-2003, 06:00 AM
Well as a side note: has anyone else experienced the speed of an mp3 on their pda versus listening to it on say a stereo? I'm talking about how pace of the song. On pda's the pace IMO seems to be like a few milliseconds slower than a conventional music player.

davidspalding
06-11-2003, 03:46 PM
No, in fact that would be a bad thing. What player?

I tried withMP3 last year and is sped up several tracks. I uninstalled and never tried it again (though I heard they'd fixed this bug). Pretty silly bug, I thought.