View Full Version : Mount Doom, Gimli, Bilbo, etc...

Paragon
06-04-2003, 02:24 AM
I'd do the Mount Doom thing except the trip there takes so much out of you...the closer you get the heavier it is around your neck. It's much easier just to give it to a loved one. :)

Dave

Crystal Eitle
06-04-2003, 02:53 AM
I'd do the Mount Doom thing except the trip there takes so much out of you...the closer you get the heavier it is around your neck. It's much easier just to give it to a loved one. :)

Heh. That's what Bilbo did. :)

Paragon
06-04-2003, 02:58 AM

Ha! So true! I don't see myself as much of Bilbo. More of a Gimley.....with less hair. :)

Dave

dcharles18
06-04-2003, 03:04 AM
Umm, what are you guys talking about about??

Crystal Eitle
06-04-2003, 03:06 AM
Umm, what are you guys talking about about??

You're joking, right? Right????

(If not, I hereby revoke your geek badge).

(Here's a hint (http://www.lordoftherings.net/)).

dcharles18
06-04-2003, 03:11 AM
You're joking, right? Right????

(If not, I hereby revoke your geek badge).

(Here's a hint (http://www.lordoftherings.net/)).

Ahh, that would explain it, I haven't seen any of those movies yet (they're on my to watch list though), and no, I never read the books either. :oops:

Paragon
06-04-2003, 03:14 AM
I know a few Orks that would love to have a little fun with you then. :)

Dave

Ed Hansberry
06-04-2003, 03:17 AM
Ahh, that would explain it, I haven't seen any of those movies yet (they're on my to watch list though), and no, I never read the books either. :oops:
And you call yourself a geek. If you can't tell me who "Mr. Spock" is we may have to revoke your posting priv's. :wink: :lol:

(No, he isn't the guy that writes baby books)

dcharles18
06-04-2003, 03:20 AM
And you call yourself a geek. If you can't tell me who "Mr. Spock" is we may have to revoke your posting priv's. :wink: :lol:

(No, he isn't the guy that writes baby books)

Rest assured, I do know who Spock is. If it counts at all, I did go to the very first showing of Reloaded.

Ed Hansberry
06-04-2003, 03:24 AM
Rest assured, I do know who Spock is. If it counts at all, I did go to the very first showing of Reloaded.
HA! Fair enough. :D I didn't make it to Reloaded until this past Saturday.

bdeli
06-04-2003, 04:19 AM
HA! Fair enough. :D I didn't make it to Reloaded until this past Saturday.

Quote from Geek.com - It's paying off to be a geek http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Jun/gee20030602020226.htm

-------------
What is it that makes high-tech movies like The Matrix and Terminator 3 possible? It's geeks, people who have an interest in expanding their minds and technical vision, and those who take the time to learn how to work a technology (rather than constructing something tangible with their hands). Geeks are people of the mind, and this group's long-sought and hard-fought geekness is finally paying off--and in big ways.
-------------

My wife watched Reloaded three times already and lost count of the many times she watched it on DVD. She normally accuses me of being a geek... :lol:

notesguy88
06-04-2003, 05:15 AM

Isn't Frodo the one who did the Mount Doom thing? Bilbo is on vacation over there at Rivendell. hehe

felixdd
06-04-2003, 05:37 AM

Dave

Now that we're on the topic:
http://home.nyu.edu/~amw243/diaries/

And as for the poll -- I'm perfectly happy with my Jornada 568. Does everything I want and does it well. I won't be parting with it for a long, long while. :D

ctmagnus
06-04-2003, 05:46 AM
More of a Gimley

Dave

That's Gimli, kinda like this (http://www.icelandicfestival.com/) :D

ctmagnus
06-04-2003, 05:48 AM

Isn't Frodo the one who did the Mount Doom thing?

Yeah, but Bilbo's the one who gave the ring to a loved one.

Paragon
06-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Yeah, that's right, and he gave his ring to a loved one, opposed to making the trip to Mount Doom on his own. :)

Dave

delfuhd
06-04-2003, 03:49 PM
actually, I'd let Smeagol have it so he can fall into the fires of mt doom with it. hmm is that really what happens ? :roll: :wink:

notesguy88
06-04-2003, 04:28 PM
actually, I'd let Smeagol have it so he can fall into the fires of mt doom with it. hmm is that really what happens ? :roll: :wink:

Hmmm... did you let Smeagol have one of your fingers too? LOL

Paragon
06-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Hmmm... did you let Smeagol have one of your fingers too? LOL

Ha! For me that is very close to the truth...)

Dave

Jacob
06-04-2003, 11:22 PM

Gimli Rules! Both in the book - and in Manitoba! :D

Paragon
06-04-2003, 11:38 PM
More of a Gimley

Dave

I'd go back and change the spelling except I've only been quoted about 15 times. :)

Which looks right to you?
Davey, or Davi

Dave Beauvais
06-04-2003, 11:56 PM
... Which looks right to you?
Davey, or Davi
First name or last name (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Davi,%20Robert)? ;)

--Dave

Paragon
06-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Yet another Davi. :)

Dave

ctmagnus
06-05-2003, 06:49 AM

My dad was born there :twisted: and I was there last summer. I've decided to make it a decadial/decacentennial/whatever-every-ten-years-is thing.

Paragon
06-05-2003, 02:07 PM

My dad was born there :twisted: and I was there last summer. I've decided to make it a decadial/decacentennial/whatever-every-ten-years-is thing.

Sorry for drawing this further off topic, but.....Who remembers the Gimli glider :?:

Dave

Kaber
06-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Sorry for drawing this further off topic, but...

It's happening in every post it would seem. REVOLUTION! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ctmagnus
06-06-2003, 02:21 AM
Sorry for drawing this further off topic, but...

It's happening in every post it would seem. REVOLUTION! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I blame it on alf.

:alfdance:

Jacob
06-06-2003, 07:58 PM

My father's family came from Winnipeg originally - so I have family there. My grandfather owned a cottage there, now my uncle owns it.

We used to fly up there every summer. I loved it!! I have a lot of great memories of Gimli.

That's part of the reason why I liked the Gimli character in the lord of the rings - partly because of the name..

ctmagnus
06-07-2003, 06:11 AM
My father's family came from Winnipeg originally - so I have family there. My grandfather owned a cottage there, now my uncle owns it.

We used to fly up there every summer. I loved it!! I have a lot of great memories of Gimli.

That's part of the reason why I liked the Gimli character in the lord of the rings - partly because of the name..

Cousins of mine still have cottages on their parents' farm ("the old Fjeldsted place"). And I have a few relatives north of there.

You ever wonder where Tolkien got the name for Gimli?

Jacob
06-07-2003, 06:22 AM

The question did come to mind...

Jacob
06-07-2003, 06:23 AM
Sorry for drawing this further off topic, but.....Who remembers the Gimli glider :?:

Sounds familiar...remind me?

Paragon
06-07-2003, 01:24 PM
An Air Canada 767 ran out of fuel.....Yup! Just ran out of gas. "Hey Bubba, told ya we shoulda stopped back there at the Exxon in Thunder Bay" It glided into Gimli municipal airport. Coming to a stop when it's nose wheel hit the dirt off the end of the runway.

It turns out that a 767 can go from Toronto to Vancouver on X gallons of fuel, but on X liters in doesn't quite make it to Gimli, Manitoba. :-)

Dave

Jacob
06-07-2003, 04:13 PM
YES! I do remember that!!

I went to gimli when that plane was there! Never got to go and see it though - but we planned to.

hubcap
06-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Wow. I didn't think big planes like that can glide with no power. Good to know if I'm ever flying one and I run out of gas. 8O

lurch
06-07-2003, 10:06 PM
I grew up (for 12 years) in Steinbach, MB... anybody ever heard of that??? "The Automobile City" :D
So I'm quite familiar with Wpg and have been to Gimli, although it was a decent amount further north. I worked at a summer camp in the Whiteshell for a couple summers, I think we took a trip to Gimli one of those years. :)
I'm pretty sure it wasn't inspired by a little town in Canada... ;)

Paragon
06-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Steinbach seems to ring a bell. In a previous life I was a stunt driver for The Trans Canada Hell Drivers. We used to do shows all over Manitoba....Carmen, Brandon, Winnipeg, Portage la Praire, Beausejour, Dauphin....and a few I can't remember. :)

Dave

lurch
06-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Steinbach seems to ring a bell. In a previous life I was a stunt driver for The Trans Canada Hell Drivers. We used to do shows all over Manitoba....Carmen, Brandon, Winnipeg, Portage la Praire, Beausejour, Dauphin....and a few I can't remember. :)
I'm willing to bet you were in Steinbach... although since they have one of the highest ratio of churches per person, maybe they didn't want the "Hell Drivers" coming into town.... :lol: 8)

Pencils
06-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi:
Where did Tolkien get the name Gimli?

In Lin Carter's book, "Tolkien: A Look Behind the LOTR", she says the name is mentioned in the "The Elder Edda", a translation of which is "The Poetic Edda", by Henry Adams, 1957. Gimli, son of Gloin, is a magical mountain in stanza 64 of the "Voluspo". A footnote to that verse defines "Gimli" as meaning "fire" or "gem". Tolkien took a lot from Norse legends, also Wagners Ring series has many parallels to LOTR.

Can't wait for the last movie to come out. Hope it holds to the high standards set so far with the other two. Think they needed to make four movies to get the whole story but i'm very happy with Jackson's handling of the tale. I think they should give him a special Oscar, in the shape of a hobbit, for pulling off such a well done series.

Regards,
P

ctmagnus
06-09-2003, 06:23 AM
Where did Tolkien get the name Gimli?

Tolkien took a lot from Norse legends

Gimli (in Manitoba, not the dwarf) was originally known as New Iceland, and there are probably some parallels in the Icelandic and Norwegian languages.

dh
06-11-2003, 11:33 PM
Can't wait for the last movie to come out. Hope it holds to the high standards set so far with the other two. Think they needed to make four movies to get the whole story but i'm very happy with Jackson's handling of the tale. I think they should give him a special Oscar, in the shape of a hobbit, for pulling off such a well done series.

I've enjoyed the books for years but I was dissapointed with the first movie. There were just too many changes for me to be comfortable with it. I realize that compromises need to be made to fit something of this size into movie format, but I couldn't get into it.

Consequently, I have not seen the second movie so I'm sure I won't see the third either. I'm currently re-reading The Two Towers for the zillionth time so I have not lost faith in the saga.

I've taken my daughter to see the two Harry Potter movies and I thought they were beter adaptations of the books than the LOTRs movie.

Maybe, like you say, there should have been more than three movies so as to keep closer to the original story.

ctmagnus
06-12-2003, 03:20 AM
I've enjoyed the books for years but I was dissapointed with the first movie. There were just too many changes for me to be comfortable with it. I realize that compromises need to be made to fit something of this size into movie format, but I couldn't get into it.

Consequently, I have not seen the second movie so I'm sure I won't see the third either.

I felt the same way about the first movie but was extremely impressed with the second.

Maybe, like you say, there should have been more than three movies so as to keep closer to the original story.

I concur. Like throwing The Hobbit in there first, just to get everything rolling. Personally, I felt like there was a large chunk missing when I started watching The Fellowship of The Ring for the first time.

dh
06-13-2003, 01:11 AM
I felt the same way about the first movie but was extremely impressed with the second.

Interesting, I may well check it out.