View Full Version : Why'd you pick your moniker? (plus, I get to use the word moniker)

stitics
06-05-2003, 09:19 AM
I was just perusing the forums on this fine site, and I re-stumbled (is that a word) upon this (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4872&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=avatar+choose) thread about avatar choice.

This caused me to begin to wonder...

What does your screen name mean, and what led you to choose it?

Since I thought this up (and couldn't find another thread that already covered it, even though one may exist) I'll start (and I hope you all don't think it's too pitiful)...

stitics was something I came up with after a fair amount of thought into what would be a cool domain name that also meant something. And then, since it had a decent ring to it, it became my default screen name.

A lot of REALLY stupid ideas were rejected, and one that I feel is quite a bit less stupid was kept, and if I ever learn anything about decent web page design and programming, it should amount to what I hope will be the next Google, or an early Yahoo, or even a PPCT:

STITICS = Stuff That I Think Is Cool Stuff

How geeky is that? :D :D :D

TopDog
06-05-2003, 09:28 AM
Mine is quite simple... I'm the webmaster and creator of www.topdogs.no so I am the TopDog 0X

darrylb
06-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Mine is even simpler. My name is Darryl and my surname initial is B.

lame eh? :oops:

wocket
06-05-2003, 01:09 PM
My screen name came from a book I was reading at the time :wink: called "There's a Wocket in my Pocket" by Dr Seuss. One of the finest childrens writers of all time.

blazingwolf
06-05-2003, 02:43 PM
I am a firefighter and I really like wolves.

MLO
06-05-2003, 03:18 PM
MLO: Mona Lisa Overdrive.

I'm a big William Gibson fan.

MLO

trachy
06-05-2003, 03:42 PM
The beauty of having an obscure surname is that it's almost always available for use. The beauty of being a geek is that I usually snatch it up before other family members. :-)

Reinaldo
06-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Mine is very simple. Reinaldo= my name. I did this after I lost track of the number of 1s and 0s on 37 lost screenames. I also realized that since the name Reinaldo is not common, I could almost always count on it being available for me to use on any forum.

Janak Parekh
06-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Kati already did a thread on this subject (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5732). :)

--janak

piperpilot
06-05-2003, 07:54 PM
I am a private pilot and the plane I fly is a Piper (a 1985 Piper Cherokee Warrior II, to be specific). Hence the name Piperpilot. :D

M@
06-05-2003, 07:59 PM
My name is Matt, making M@ an abbreviation of an abbreviation.

netBEUI
06-05-2003, 08:19 PM
I didn't realize how crappy the netBEUI protocol was in 1994. But I liked the way it sounded like "Net Boy". :)

Jacob
06-05-2003, 11:07 PM
My name... just my name.

dcharles18
06-06-2003, 01:02 AM
My name, plus my hockey number.

spursdude
06-06-2003, 01:41 AM
spursdude!

and the san antonio spurs will win the NBA finals....

TheWolfen
06-06-2003, 06:51 AM
I am very much into wolves and have used Wolfen in some fashion for many years (anyone remember the cheesy movie with the same title?). I have a wolf dog rescue organization called Wolfen Rescue, so I am THE Wolfen. :D

kingraf01
06-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Cause I'm "King" of my "castle", and Raf is short for Rafael. I added the 01 becase I forgot the password to my KingRaf e-mail and couldn't get in anymore. :oops: Since then it's been KingRaf01.

Raf- :robot:
Jornada 548 Faithful

( :worried: and yeah many, many, many, many years ago when I wanted to Rap that was my name, I liked the name KingSun so I adapted my name to it)

bridgecrosser
06-06-2003, 05:24 PM
I've crossed Life's Bridge to God (John 5: 24 NIV) and it's awesome!

lurch
06-06-2003, 06:11 PM
My last name is spelled "Lerch" but everybody always screws it up, so I figure heck, I'll go with it. :D

Paul Martin
06-06-2003, 10:46 PM
pmradio is kind of a pun. It's my initials and also the regular abbreviation for afternoons and I do afternoon radio.

ctmagnus
06-10-2003, 05:21 AM
Kati already did a thread on this subject (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5732). :)

--janak

Katidid :mrgreen: already a thread on this subject (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5732). :)

Kati Compton
06-10-2003, 07:11 AM
Katidid :mrgreen: already a thread on this subject (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5732). :)
Yes yes yes. My parents called me that. :P

kidA
06-10-2003, 06:34 PM
i like radiohead

thomas1973
06-10-2003, 07:14 PM
I had no imagination. I tried to come up with a smart name, thought about it for 10 seconds, then went; what the heck - My first name plus my birth year ( :oops: )

Thomas.

Kati Compton
06-10-2003, 08:04 PM
I had no imagination. I tried to come up with a smart name, thought about it for 10 seconds, then went; what the heck - My first name plus my birth year ( :oops: )
Just as long as 1973 isn't your ATM PIN as well... ;)

ipaq38vette
06-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Mine is simple. "ipaq38" stands for ipaq 3800, my PPC, and "vette" stands for Corvette, because I am a car addict. :D

thomas1973
06-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Just as long as 1973 isn't your ATM PIN as well... ;)
Doh! :oops:

Mine is simple. "ipaq38" stands for ipaq 3800, my PPC, and "vette" stands for Corvette, because I am a car addict.
With my current pace of changing PDA's, I couldn't possibly use my PDA model in my nick. :lol:

Thomas.

ctmagnus
06-11-2003, 12:16 AM
Yes yes yes. My parents called me that. :P

Which brings me to the topic at hand (an ON-topic post for once :D)... My parents gave me a first name, middle name and last name. I just "initialized" the first two and truncated the last one.

Parents can be so influential.

lurch
06-11-2003, 04:39 AM
My parents gave me a first name, middle name and last name. I just "initialized" the first two and truncated the last one.
If your handle was "mvmagnus" I'd be doing this: :werenotworthy:

because then you'd probably be "Magnus Ver Magnusson" (http://www.magnusvermagnusson.com/), king of ESPN & ESPN2 featured Worlds Strongest Man!!!!! :) Such fun memories of watching that late at night in college...

Pat Logsdon
06-11-2003, 04:52 AM
My "moniker" was cunningly crafted (by skilled Peruvian artisans) for maximum "ick" factor.

I also go by "Occam's Crouton" on some boards.

ctmagnus
06-11-2003, 05:29 AM
If your handle was "mvmagnus" I'd be doing this: :werenotworthy:

because then you'd probably be "Magnus Ver Magnusson" (http://www.magnusvermagnusson.com/), king of ESPN & ESPN2 featured Worlds Strongest Man!!!!! :) Such fun memories of watching that late at night in college...

Nah. Different strain of Magnussons. But at least that's the same country :); most Magnussons I encounter are from mainland Europe. However, I am related to the tallest living Icelander.

Edit: Found it!

From this site (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/alexander_wolff/news/2001/08/28/hoop_life/):

In 1986 the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service refused to issue a special work permit to Petur Gudmundsson, a 7-2 center from Iceland who wanted to play for the Kansas City Sizzlers of the old CBA. The INS ruled that it couldn't justify giving a foreigner a job that might otherwise go to an American because Gudmundsson lacked "distinguished merit and ability."

Kati Compton
06-11-2003, 05:51 AM
I always like the "lift the car full of girls" or "drag the semi truck" ones. ;)

Abba Zabba
06-11-2003, 05:52 AM
Well if anyone has seen the movie Halfbaked they would understand :wink: And no I don't act like Thurgood :twisted:

hiroProtagonist
06-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Hiro Protagonist from Neal Stephenson's book Snow Crash.

Actually, I'm not a freelance hacker, the worlds greatest sword fighter, a stringer for the central intelligence corporation or very much like him at all...but the name is too cool to pass up.

Those of you who've read the book... when you're putting your ppc in one pocket, your digital camera in another, your phone in a third, etc. (or better yet wearing an e-vest) don't you feel a little like you're becoming a 'gargoyle'?

iant54
06-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Ian Thompson born in 1954

thomas1973
06-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Wow! That's just as boring as my nick :lol: ! So, if iant54 is born in 1954, is katie42 then...? No, I shouldn't ask...

Thomas.

Zensbikeshop
06-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Hiro Protagonist from Neal Stephenson's book Snow Crash.

Actually, I'm not a freelance hacker, the worlds greatest sword fighter, a stringer for the central intelligence corporation or very much like him at all...but the name is too cool to pass up.

Those of you who've read the book... when you're putting your ppc in one pocket, your digital camera in another, your phone in a third, etc. (or better yet wearing an e-vest) don't you feel a little like you're becoming a 'gargoyle'?

So you're the reason that name was taken! :wink:

Great book; I'd not thought of the Gargoyle thing.....

Kati Compton
06-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Wow! That's just as boring as my nick :lol: ! So, if iant54 is born in 1954, is katie42 then...? No, I shouldn't ask...
Nope. I'm just the answer to Life the Universe and Everything.... actually, it's just an easy number to remember. ;)

maximus
06-12-2003, 02:45 AM
Wow! That's just as boring as my nick ! So, if iant54 is born in 1954, is katie42 then...? No, I shouldn't ask...

With the same logic, how do you explain this nick:
mromano33 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=140) and twin1910 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=227)

They must be reaaaaaaaaaaaly old then ? :wink:

thomas1973
06-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Wow! That's just as boring as my nick ! So, if iant54 is born in 1954, is katie42 then...? No, I shouldn't ask...

With the same logic, how do you explain this nick:
mromano33 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=140) and twin1910 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=227)

They must be reaaaaaaaaaaaly old then ? :wink:
I'm glad PPCT attracts all ages. It just goes to show what a diverse forum this is :lol:

Thomas.

maximus
06-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Yup. And the people are mostly nice. I wonder what is the factor that encourages the nice folks to stay, and the mean guys to leave ? :D

ctmagnus
06-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Yup. And the people are mostly nice. I wonder what is the factor that encourages the nice folks to stay, and the mean guys to leave ? :D

They secretly install a keystroke logger on your machine and automatically ban anyone who types too many not-very-nice things. :mrgreen:

maximus
06-13-2003, 12:58 AM
Ha ha. So, if I were to try to submit a post with a lot of bad words, the post will be rejected, and there will be a pop up mentioning how lame I am ? That is new :D

ctmagnus
06-13-2003, 02:03 AM
Ha ha. So, if I were to try to submit a post with a lot of bad words, the post will be rejected, and there will be a pop up mentioning how lame I am ? That is new :D

Actually, only the admins/moderators, CIA and FBI get the popups. And the admins/mods only get them if the content is really bad.

Better watch your back! :mrgreen:

xoiph
06-13-2003, 07:24 AM
xoiph is just plain random...

goirish!!
06-13-2003, 12:08 PM
GOIRISH!! - Kinda self explanatory!! :werenotworthy:

NOTRE DAME - Fighting Irish!!!

maximus
06-13-2003, 02:40 PM
Actually, only the admins/moderators, CIA and FBI get the popups. And the admins/mods only get them if the content is really bad.

Better watch your back!

It's OK, I am basically a nice guy, unless on full moon ... I get all hairy. :D

What is goirish anyway ?

goirish!!
06-13-2003, 03:33 PM
[/quote]What is goirish anyway ?[/quote]

Oh come on now...............

Four Horseman

Knute Rockne (105-12-8, .881)
Frank Leahy (.800+)
Ara Parseghian(.800+)

Paul Hornung
Tim Brown
Joe Montana
Joe Theismann
Raghib Ismail
Jerome Bettis

11 National Championships
20 first team All Americans
25 Bowl Appearances
7 Irish Heismans
.760 overall winning average
highest grad rate of any NCAA top 25 team,

Holy crap I got carried away!!! :oops:

Ya' know.......... :clap: GOOOOOOOOOOOOIRISH!!!! :werenotworthy:

maximus
06-13-2003, 05:11 PM
He heh. I see. I cant believe I missed that in the first place. I thought that 'goirish' is the name of a hero/heroine from a book. :oops:

hiroProtagonist
06-13-2003, 05:11 PM
LOL...I've always pronounced it (in my head) - "goy-rish" I thought it was such a mysterious name 8O

goirish!!
06-13-2003, 07:06 PM
LOL...I've always pronounced it (in my head) - "goy-rish" I thought it was such a mysterious name 8O

LOL - That's actually funny! Maybe I should add a sig and an avatar to my name?!?!?
:mrgreen:

Kati Compton
06-13-2003, 07:32 PM
LOL - That's actually funny! Maybe I should add a sig and an avatar to my name?!?!?
Or next time make it "go_irish" or "GoIrish". :)

goirish!!
06-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Or next time make it "go_irish" or "GoIrish". :)

I have used the go_irish before but find that it is taken quite often. Maybe the avatar will help me out.

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

goirish!!
06-13-2003, 07:45 PM
I feel better already. I've always wanted an avatar and a sig anyway.

maximus
06-14-2003, 01:08 AM
BTW, is it possible to change nickname in phpbb ?

I dont quite understand this emoticon: 0X ... what is the meaning of that emoticon ?

grohl
06-14-2003, 04:58 AM
as in...Dave Grohl, now lead singer of the Foo Fighters.

Just in case you don't know, the former Nirvana drummer.

Back in my Quake days, I was just a plain ol' Nirvana fan. Seemed a lot cooler then, but I've stuck with it.

Kati Compton
06-14-2003, 05:23 AM
I don't know that I'd be able to name myself after another person.... For there to be one individual that encapsulates me. A fictional character, yes... I was briefly Trillian, and Dulcinea for quite some time, but that was a long time ago. But for some reason I can't think of a real person I want to be associated with that strongly.

Not that I'm saying other people shouldn't - I think this is just one more of my own personal problems. ;)

Skoobouy
06-15-2003, 09:52 PM
Despite the frequent (unfortunate) associations with a certain crime-fighting dog (:razz:) my name has won me, I in truth only decided to creatively re-spell the title I won for myself all throughout grade school: "School Boy". :sunny: