View Full Version : Battery Drain between builtin WiFi and CF WiFi

darrylb
06-05-2003, 04:55 AM
Hi,

I know battery drain is worse when using any wireless technology (BT/WiFi, etc), but I was wondering if anyone has done any comparisons between a PPC with built in WiFi (i.e. iPAQ 5400 or Tosh e750) and a PPC with a CF card (i.e. Axim, etc) running a CF WiFi card. :?:

If no one has done a comparison, perhaps those with these devices with WiFi might care to post some battery drain info from their own experience? :D

I am asking because, I am considering the new round of PPCs and wonder if I should go for one with CF (e.g. HP2200) and add a CF WiFi card or one with builtin WiFi (e.g. 5500). I know there are lots of other CF cards on the block for other bits and peices (e.g. modems, etc), so this may also swing things.

I really dont like expansion packs :roll:

Cheers
D

Thinkingmandavid
06-05-2003, 05:43 AM
wow, that is really a good idea for a poll, and also for study actually to get the exact percentages and what factors would be involved with it.
I hear you about the expanions pack :wink:
that is a tough one. i am over here wondering if adding any device automatically causes more battery usage than if it is already built in.
I hope we can get some really good posts on this one.

ozen
06-05-2003, 06:17 AM
with an external wi-Fi card or Bluetooth you can change your card, so if you have built in Wi-Fi and it takes 300(whateverMeasurement) and you get a socket card and it only takes 200 then your saving battery power but im sure it probably feels good to not carry around a whole bunch of CF Cards.

bdeli
06-05-2003, 08:04 AM
I use an iPAQ with a CF+ sleeve and a Linksys WCF12 card. The battery in the CF+ drains in around 45mins with wifi use and the iPAQ takes another 2hrs to drain completely. The Linksys card is not the best in power consumption - best option for power consumption is the Socket/Symbol card.

Still waiting for a PPC with built-in wifi which can stay for 5hrs with wifi on...maybe should consider the Tungsten | C

darrylb
06-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Still waiting for a PPC with built-in wifi which can stay for 5hrs with wifi on...maybe should consider the Tungsten | C

Eeek - Heaven forbid :wink:

I use an iPAQ with a CF+ sleeve and a Linksys WCF12 card. The battery in the CF+ drains in around 45mins with wifi use and the iPAQ takes another 2hrs to drain completely. The Linksys card is not the best in power consumption - best option for power consumption is the Socket/Symbol card.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm after - I assume all this time is with the WiFi on? What iPAQ do you have? Does this include Media Player running as well or is it just with web browsing or mail usage?

Anyone else got some times they could share?

Cheers
D

bdeli
06-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Eeek - Heaven forbid :wink:

Why - have a Tungsten | T already on my desk and love the way the battery gives me around 5-6hrs with BT on.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm after - I assume all this time is with the WiFi on? What iPAQ do you have? Does this include Media Player running as well or is it just with web browsing or mail usage?

Anyone else got some times they could share?

I normally run Pocket Outlook and Internet Explorer at the same time and maybe play a game of solitaire in between - will try with Media Player playing some wma to see if battery drain will be different.

darrylb
06-06-2003, 03:36 AM
Why - have a Tungsten | T already on my desk and love the way the battery gives me around 5-6hrs with BT on.

Cool - to each their own - but I am specifically interested in PPC data and I'm not interested in going down the two devices track. :)

I normally run Pocket Outlook and Internet Explorer at the same time and maybe play a game of solitaire in between - will try with Media Player playing some wma to see if battery drain will be different.

Sorry - I should have been more clear - you had the PPC on the whole time right? I dont expect the drain will be much difference with WMP running unless you have it piping through the external speaker.

bdeli
06-06-2003, 04:33 AM
Sorry - I should have been more clear - you had the PPC on the whole time right? I dont expect the drain will be much difference with WMP running unless you have it piping through the external speaker.

Yes, Pocket Outlook was running (checking for email every 4 mins) + a few sessions of Pocket IE. I might try to have wmp running in the background to see if the battery level will fall down. BTW - I am using an iPAQ 3850 - not the best in power consumption.