View Full Version : Possible switch to new device... need advice..

Cameron_Talley
06-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Ok, I have a 3955 that I absolutley love, has given me almost zero problems, etc.

My Dad has a 5450. He has offered to trade. Now, I could use the WLAN, as I have Wifi at my apartment and on my college campus. It sounds like a fair trade. However, I have heard multiple problems with this device. Is it as stable as the 3955? Should I stick with what I have, get a CF sleeve and card, or what? Are there any major issues with the 5450?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron Talley

umichboy
06-04-2003, 01:07 AM
Trade! I love my 5450 and haven't had ANY problems with it at all. People like me don't generally post that we have no problems though.

nosmohtac
06-04-2003, 05:07 AM
If it is an even up trade I would probably do it, but why would your dad want to trade you?

A couple of things to think about though. If you have accessories already, you may want to make sure they will work with the 54xx series (unless your getting those with the trade). Most of them do, the main ones that don't are cases.
Do you use yours to listen to mp3's? If so, remember you can't have headphones plugged in to the 5455 while it is in the cradle because the headphone jack is on the bottom left side.

I bought a 3970 after the 5455 came out because of all the little things that I was reading in the forums on this site and others. I too have had absolutely no problems with mine. IMHO it is the most stable pocket pc made to date, again this is only my opinion.

Chris Spera
06-04-2003, 05:44 AM
I have both devices... I love both.

The bottom line is this: Does the 5400 have items that you need vs. things that the 3900 doesn't have. If you want built in 802.11b and/or built in BlueTooth, then switch. If you want or need the bigger ROM (32MB in 3900 vs. 48 in 5400), then yes, switch.

Yes the 5400's have problems. They do however offer much more than the 3900's. The built in wireless stuff can be of immense convenience if and only if you know you'll use them regularily, other wise, IMHO, there's no need to make the trade.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

jimski
06-04-2003, 05:46 AM
No complaints with my 5450. If you plan to use WiFi, the ability to switch out batteries will be a big plus (I currently have three spares-can go all day).

I did have some chronic reset problems, but it turned out to be a plugin on my Today screen. Since removing that app, I have been almost reset free (more than a month).

Only issues I am aware of are;
-some third party sleeves than may have worked with the 38xx/39xx series do not work with the 5450.
-the Insta-Pak air cell battery packs still do not work with the 5450 (unless you have a Compaq Plus Pack Sleeve installed at the time).
-the battery from the Plus Pack sleeves only support the device plugged into the sleeve, not the 5450 itself.