View Full Version : SMS

jutae
06-02-2003, 10:16 PM
I know it's possible to send a sms via a phone as I have a t68i, but i was wandering is it possible to send to a phone via 802.11b card? If so, what program?

freitasm
06-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Yep, that's the thing... Bluetooth is a cable replacement to link peripherals and devices... 802.11b/g/a are networking standards.

Mobile phones do not (yet) support 802.11 because of power, networking stack not available/required, etc...

Stick with Bluetooth for this use, your T68i is the best mobile phone for this!

jutae
06-02-2003, 11:52 PM
yeah but how do you send a sms to another phone when your bluetooth phone is out of range (no signal)? Can I send a sms via ethernet using my cf wireless card while it's connected to the internet? I found where you can do it on tmobile's site.

freitasm
06-03-2003, 02:04 AM
Hmmm... In this case I can log into Vodafone's website, enter my mobile number, PIN and write an SMS from there. So, if I have wi-fi around, this is how I'd do it. :roll:

TopDog
06-03-2003, 07:03 AM
This all seems to be a lot of trouble just for sending a small SMS!?

Do you often have the phone more than 10 meters away? I don't, I always have it with me... using easySMS on the PPC. Can't see it getting more simple :-)

umichboy
06-04-2003, 01:05 AM
I think he might mean when his phone has no reception. That is quite common in the USA since GSM service is quite lousy. When I travel to Taiwan and Japan I always have great reception though...

jutae
06-04-2003, 03:22 AM
Right, I'm not refering to my T68i. I was asking is it possible to send a SMS via my Ipaq using my 802.11b, not Bluetooth. When I'm in my house I have no reception.

Jutae

TopDog
06-04-2003, 10:04 AM
Your poor people, in Norway we always have reception, reception is no issue up here :-)

freitasm
06-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Your poor people, in Norway we always have reception, reception is no issue up here :-)

Well, same in New Zealand 8)

But again, if you have no mobile coverage, but have wi-fi, use a web interface. Also some companies provide e-mail to SMS gateways. Ask around!

PetiteFlower
06-04-2003, 07:34 PM
It doesn't always have to do with where you are geographically; sometimes it's the building you're in. I get better reception on the 2nd floor of my house then the first; and some of the offices that I've worked in have been designed such that NO ONE got reception.

When me and my roommates were apartment hunting one thing that we made sure to check was whether we got signal in the building(there are 3 of us with 3 different providers too)!